Code of Conduct

Question Your Weirdest Guerlain ???

For me it is Aroma Allegoria Aromaparfum Apaisant, (maybe also the weirdest name - wow, what a mouthful !!!). I have a love/hate thing with this.

For a long time it was also Nahema. It took me years to understand this fragrance. I always got an unpleasant dusty/dirty rose, but I never gave up and recently with a dab of the extrait I finally got the whole beautiful 'turkish delight' vibe and was in ecstasy.

More recently I tested Lys Soleia and found it very weird, (in an interesting way).
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare decants and 1 ml samples available, including Djedi/Nombre Noir/Original Patou Pour Homme/Basala etc...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Your Weirdest Guerlain ???

Mouchoir De Monsieur - but in a good way.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme edt. I have mixed feelings. I can get great moments from it in some wearings, but it's inconsistent. Sometimes it smells too modern, and I think it's not going to work between us.

Missing Oakmoss

I think Jicky and Shalimar are beautiful in strange ways, layered on dissonant notes that manage to work together...to me, they are the aromatic equivalents of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring or The Firebird, or Duchamp's Nude Descending a Staircase.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    As for myself, vintage Shalimar is by far the best example of this dynamic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh yes! Vintage Shalimar (in any concentration) is exquisite.

Missing Oakmoss

I agree!!!!!!!!!! Any concentration of Shalimar is worth a sniff, but if I were to purchase another vintage, it would have to be an extrait. Not to change the subject, I want to add that I feel this way about the Caron fountain classics too, that they are best experienced in extrait form. I’m more lenient with Guerlain’s offerings, but not Shalimar. The extrait takes care of me completely.
    Yes! Vintage Shalimar extrait is sublime - as is vintage Mitsouko extrait, which (in keeping with the title of this thread) some people consider weird, though to me it's more interesting than odd. No question about Caron, extrait is the only way to go.

Missing Oakmoss

I don’t understand. Why would Mitsouko extrait be considered weird?? Is it the salt lick from the natural ambergris?? Sounds exciting!!!!!!!! How is it weird????? I tried the extrait, but not an older one from the time of my first whiff of Shalimar. I missed out on the older ones. And even older versions are said to have a pine note. (I’m referencing Mr.G.’s defunct page description.) Nothing weird about that!!!!!!!! I don’t understand the weird.
    Mitsouko is an unusual combination of notes, but none of them are off-putting (to me), so I don't find it weird - some people do, though, and it's not universally loved. It was among the first fragrances to feature an aldehyde, C14, that smells like peach. I have several versions and vintages of Mitsouko, but I've never detected a pine note. It's an abstract and beautifully structured fragrance. A good vintage extrait is absolutely lovely, to my nose - but the color must be golden, and the bottle preferably sealed. Dark Mitsouko extrait has been badly stored, the top and middle notes are gone, and it smells like varnish.

Now I'm getting off-topic, so I'll refrain from further musings - though vintage Mitsouko that's gone off definitely smells weird, even to me!

Basenotes Plus

Cologne du 68 is weird in a way. It has so many notes. Bergamot, citruses, mandarin orange, petitgrain, orange, orange blossom, freesia, frangipani, jasmine, iris, violet leaf, rose, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, lime (linden) blossom, sage, green notes and rosemary.

Gotta be Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. Armpit grapefruit + hippie patchouli. Who thinks of these things?? (Mathilde Laurent, of course.) I adore it.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Cologne du 68 is weird in a way. It has so many notes. Bergamot, citruses, mandarin orange, petitgrain, orange, orange blossom, freesia, frangipani, jasmine, iris, violet leaf, rose, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, lime (linden) blossom, sage, green notes and rosemary.
    This would definitely be up there.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

L'Instant De Guerlain Eau Extreme. I don't see how this fragrance is appealing at all. I haven't worn this in many years.

I have two vintage black rimmed bottles, that I will likely never wear again.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The Aqua A range as they started out with some great fragrances which were then discontinued and now an endless new release of boring same old same old.

I will add Apres L'Ondee which now smells nothing like it was, a pretty iris fragrance when it was a wonderful heliotrope rich beauty. Also for those who have ever sniffed the parfum how close it is to L'Heure Bleue in parfum.
    DONNA

I agree that the AA Pamplelune is a weird one but I love it.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Noa by Cacharel

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The petal dress, eau fraïche, "pistachio macaroon drier sheets" flanker of LPRN is pretty damn weird, and I love it!

OK - eccentric!

lprn-ef-s3.jpg
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro