Code of Conduct

Default Has anybody seen this Kouros bottle? (extremely rare/fake?)

rare kouros.jpg
    I saw it listed on eBay a couple of months ago. Obviously I didn't buy it.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Has anybody seen this Kouros bottle? (extremely rare/fake?)

Have never seen that shape of bottle for that fragrance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think if it were real somebody would have noted it previously. IIRC, all known real ones say Yves Saint Laurent on the front of the bottles. You may want to read this:

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...f-gods-12.html

One idea is what I call a "cheap fake," and the idea might be to sell it with plastic wrap around the box so that the buyer doesn't see it until after the seller has relocated (such as unauthorized street vendors). Also, some buyers will not realize the bottle is wrong, and it's likely a lot cheaper than to try and replicate a real Kouros bottle). The box is a lot easier and cheaper to make look roughly correct.

Freed from BN Institution

Haven't this one before either.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Fake or not, that bottle is great looking.

I wouldn’t be too quick to call it a fake. Might be a limited edition. Stranger things have happened. Never thought I’d see Armani Eau Pour Homme in a plastic squirt bottle but there it was on eBay. I bought it LOL and the juice was real. Vintage too!
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Never seen that one either but I wouldn’t be quick to call it a fake either. I’m sure a Kouros aficionado will be able to set the record straight soon enough. May turn out to be the stankiest of the stanky

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Never seen that one either but I wouldn’t be quick to call it a fake either. I’m sure a Kouros aficionado will be able to set the record straight soon enough. May turn out to be the stankiest of the stanky
    Andre did an exhaustive job of documenting Kouros bottles on his blog and was contacted by a bunch of people with "oddball" bottles. I have had two of them (the blank bottom plate and the plastic type), so I lean towards the fake possibility.

I’ll have to take your word on this one Bigsly. I’ve never seen one like it. Lets just say I would hold off and buy a more familiar looking vintage bottle.

I’ll have to take your word on this one Bigsly. I’ve never seen one like it. Lets just say I would hold off and buy a more familiar looking vintage bottle.
    I do think I remember someone once saying they bought a bottle (not Kouros) that was in a sealed box (from an unauthorized street vendor) and then when they got home and opened it the bottle was totally wrong and the smell was off, so that is my best guess with this one. The seller may not realize that it's such a fake, of course, if that's what it is.

May turn out to be the stankiest of the stanky
    "Dank"
    Currently wearing: Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Someone posted the ebay link to this item a couple months ago on another forum saying what a rare find it was. The asking price was $2999.00 or something ridiculous like that. He was quickly ridiculed and dismantled for attempting to bait the forum. Soon after, the price dropped to $99. Bottom line...its a fake.

The shape of the bottle reminds me of the vintage Drakkar Noir bottle. If it was passed off as a special DN release it might be plausible, but Kouros an emphatic "no way!"
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

You can tell it's fake just from the inferior quality of the packaging. The KOUROS lettering is not embossed and cut off at the bottom.

Of course it's probably an extremely rare fake from the 1980s ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Never thought I’d see Armani Eau Pour Homme in a plastic squirt bottle. I bought it !
    classy!

I called that seller out on that and asked him to do some research to protect his status as a seller. Come on folks....you all have to be sure YSL didn't use a bottle like that. To be sure it would've been mentioned by now. Check ROTLS.....nothing like that mentioned. I want rude about it...it was just FYI.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    I called that seller out on that and asked him to do some research. Come on folks....you all have to be sure YSL didn't use a bottle like that. To be sure it would've been mentioned by now. Check ROTLS.....nothing like that mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Regarding Kouros and calling out ebay sellers I had two instances not by fakes but sellers using old stock Kouros photos of bottles with the chrome details, but were selling new all white L'Oreal bottles.

The first time it happened was with a seller who I had purchased a few fragrances from and it was in the early days of L'Oreal going to the all white bottles I wasn't knowledgeable on the codes, box details, ingredient list etc. as I am today so I opened the box noticed the bottle change and sprayed a few times. It was not the Kouros I remembered. I kept it because I had opened and sprayed, and figured after paying to ship the item back the purchase price was low enough that I chalked it up to a learning experience.

The second time I purchased was a few years later and from a seller who I never bought from. I made the buy because the seller had a picture of a chromed shoulder bottle with the words "Item is exactly as shown in picture." Well I received the bottle looked for the codes, ingredients, and manufacture and it was a newer version of the L'Oreal bottle I already had. This time the bottle was going back on their dime. I contacted them and told them they were using old stock photos and misleading people with the phrase "Item is exactly as shown". I told her I could tell by the box and batch code this was not the item in the picture. I gave her the link to cosmetic calculator at checkcosmetic.net. She looked through her inventory and all she had was the newer bottles. I told her that I would need a prepaid shipping label and asked to have my payment refunded. She apologized and told me she would refund me as soon as the item was picked up. She thanked me for educating them and told me that they were new to selling fragrances and weren't aware of such changes and would make corrections to their listing. At this point it was an honest mistake but I looked later to see if a correction was made and the listing was exactly the same. After I brought it to their attention and they told me they would correct the error they did nothing. Now they are deceiving the customer. I suppose I could have pursued it but not my lifes work. I wondered how many people were duped by the picture they recognized.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Regarding Kouros and calling out ebay sellers I had two instances not by fakes but sellers using old stock Kouros photos of bottles with the chrome details, but were selling new all white L'Oreal bottles.

The first time it happened was with a seller who I had purchased a few fragrances from and it was in the early days of L'Oreal going to the all white bottles I wasn't knowledgeable on the codes, box details, ingredient list etc. as I am today so I opened the box noticed the bottle change and sprayed a few times. It was not the Kouros I remembered. I kept it because I had opened and sprayed, and figured after paying to ship the item back the purchase price was low enough that I chalked it up to a learning experience.

The second time I purchased was a few years later and from a seller who I never bought from. I made the buy because the seller had a picture of a chromed shoulder bottle with the words "Item is exactly as shown in picture." Well I received the bottle looked for the codes, ingredients, and manufacture and it was a newer version of the L'Oreal bottle I already had. This time the bottle was going back on their dime. I contacted them and told them they were using old stock photos and misleading people with the phrase "Item is exactly as shown". I told her I could tell by the box and batch code this was not the item in the picture. I gave her the link to cosmetic calculator at checkcosmetic.net. She looked through her inventory and all she had was the newer bottles. I told her that I would need a prepaid shipping label and asked to have my payment refunded. She apologized and told me she would refund me as soon as the item was picked up. She thanked me for educating them and told me that they were new to selling fragrances and weren't aware of such changes and would make corrections to their listing. At this point it was an honest mistake but I looked later to see if a correction was made and the listing was exactly the same. After I brought it to their attention and they told me they would correct the error they did nothing. Now they are deceiving the customer. I suppose I could have pursued it but not my lifes work. I wondered how many people were duped by the picture they recognized.
    Yes I saw someone do that, but I asked them before buying so never bought it. Someone else came along and quickly bought it (whatever scent it was). The Kouros bottle certainly would appear to be a fake, but usually they are 100 ml bottles, so I'd really like to know the "story" behind it. LOL.

Thanks everybody for weighing in. Yeah I had a good feeling it was a fake, but honestly the fake is so cool that I might have bought it if it was like 25-30 bucks, just for the collection.

The poor fit and finish of the bottle and lettering, plus lack of YSL branding on the bottle pretty much scream fake. There was another thread recently where a vintage counterfeit Kouros popped up (remember they've been faking this one worldwide since the 80s).
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner