Code of Conduct

Unhappy Recommendations for under £70, for someone who likes Lutens

Hello,

I love Serge Lutens and some Goutal perfumes like Ambre Sultans, Fleurs de Oranger and Ambre Fétiche, but they are so costly for me They are rarely on sale and even if you buy them in smaller sample sizes, they are still expensive per ml. Maybe one day I will, but at the moment I can't justify buying a perfume over a coat at that the higher prices especially.

Does anyone have recommendations for me that are under £70? I find it difficult to find something I like in shops in this price range but maybe that's because I haven't tried enough of them (or maybe it's because you get what you pay for)!

I like -

Ambers with labdanum, beeswax, incense such as frankincense, cedarwood, vanilla, tonka bean, benzoin ect.

Florals with a heady, warm, intoxicating smell. I love the heart of Fleurs de Oranger, despite the opening smelling like a warm floral vagina and the base, drydown smelling like My Little Pony (maybe it's the jasmine or something). I've tried perfumes based on rose, but I have a bottle of Moroccan rose absolute at home and nothing compares to the real thing.

I am open to green, grassy or woody aromas. I have a bottle of deep, complex vertiver that's 17 years old and it smells incredible, but I'm not sure I could wear it. I am openminded to unisex fragrances but most vertivers are quite masculine. Also, I love the green, soil smell of it, but Vertiver can totally blast its way through a blend. Cedarwood is lovely too but I'm not keen on the urine note you can get in some of them. I like smells that remind me of being outside, but have yet to find a green or woody perfume that works for me and doesn't't turn into toilet cleaner smell on my skin!

Default Re: Recommendations for under £70, for someone who likes Lutens

where do you live? the 50ml serge lutens can often be found for $70 or less on the discount sites in the US.

Basenotes Plus

You can buy Ambre Sultan from fragrance.net for £50. Shipping is estimated at £12. VAT might be the same. I don't know if there's duty to be paid or not. Assuming not, that's around £74.

https://www.fragrancenet.com/fragran...-parfum#192037
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post

I like -

Ambers with labdanum, beeswax, incense such as frankincense, cedarwood, vanilla, tonka bean, benzoin ect.
    Paging @crashtestbrummie, could @crashtestbrummie please report to the thread immediately!

The U.K. The very cheapest you can find it here for is £70, which is about 100 dollars maybe, and that's quite unusual.

Perhaps also Terre de Lumiere by l'Occitane, Jaipur EDP by Boucheron, Shalimar EDP by Guerlain, Escale a Pondichery by Dior, Chanel No. 19 but also the sweeter, slightly quirkier and more experimental Coco Noir, Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari, TF Black Orchid
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

The U.K. The very cheapest you can find it here for is £70, which is about 100 dollars maybe, and that's quite unusual.
    That's still a good price.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

They do show up on the sales thread occasionally with a numbers to accommodate world wide shipping and shipping within Europe. Have you been checking these threads?

Also it wouldn't hurt to post a thread in the Fragrance Wanted forum.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Dependent

Major tangent, but Ceridwen sounds markedly Welsh. Croeso!

@Benz3ne

Diolch....

https://www.fragrancex.com/search/se...serge%20lutens

has them for around £40-60, shipping isn't too bad and they often have coupons going on that gives you 15% off ( kinda pays for the shipping)
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Dependent

Edit: Apologies mods, I'll continue discussing my friend's item for sale via PM.

Ceridwen, have PM'd you

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Paging @crashtestbrummie, could @crashtestbrummie please report to the thread immediately!
    Ohai!

First thing I thought of was Bentley For Men Intense - would this be seen as a masculine scent if it wasn't labelled as such? It packs a whallop, for sure, and definitely hits the labdanum, incense and cedarwood boxes, along with leather, geranium and patchouli. I'm a fan of their regular For Men which is similar but more benzoin-based with spices and lighter (although not a light scent as such).

Halston Woman Amber can be had for pennies these days as can the male version and both are good.

HdP's Ambre 114 can be bought in 15ml bottles and is a reference amber.

Lush's Rentless is a labdanum, tonka and patchouli bomb (and my SOTD) and a favourite of mine. They also do well with florals that pack a punch (Lust, Sikkim Girls, etc) and greener ones (Devil's Nightcap is a foresty oakmoss scent; The Smell of Weather Turning and Flower's Barrow also worth checking out.)

+1 Boucheron Jaipur pour Homme EdP. Currently about £32 + postage on notino. Also on allbeauty with free delivery, probably same price overall - they have the Halston Woman Amber too.
    L'Occitane Eau des Baux about £48, also scratches that vanilla, tonka bean, benzoin ect. itch

If you like Lutens, then deffo +1 for Bentley for Men Absolute, but also worth trying and cheaper is Bentley for Men Intense.
    Spring/early summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge L'Eau; Etro Palais Jamais, Shaal Nur, Dianthus and Gomma; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling and Blenheim Bouquet; Comme des Garcons Zagorsk and Avignon; Dior Fahrenheit; and L.T. Piver Heliotrope
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

I have seen Ambre Sultan in TKMaxx for around £49.99, but it is hit or miss whether a branch has it in stock.

Also, allbeauty.com can have discounts on the Lutens and Goutals.
    DONNA

Lutens in T K Maxx?? I didn't even know they would stock perfume like that. I used to be a big an of L'Occitane Ambre until I found Ambre Sultans! Zome of their perfumes smell nice but end up smelling bad on my skin I will check out some of the other suggestions that people have mentioned. I wonder where I can smell them all though. Debenhams? Boots? House of Fraiser is quite far away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Perhaps also Terre de Lumiere by l'Occitane, Jaipur EDP by Boucheron, Shalimar EDP by Guerlain, Escale a Pondichery by Dior, Chanel No. 19 but also the sweeter, slightly quirkier and more experimental Coco Noir, Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari, TF Black Orchid
    I've smelt Shalimar and I don't like it! I don't get it - it contains so many smells that I like - maybe it's the Iris or Jasmine that puts me off? It's a shame because it's so readily available.

For amber, I'd like to suggest:

- Annayake - Miyako: It can be found on eBay at a quite affordable price sometimes. To my nose, it's like midway between Ambre Sultan and Ambre Fétiche, attaining the incense-amber core of both but without much of the medicinal bay leaf of the former nor the leather of the later.
    - Tauerville - Amber Flash (approx. 45£/30ml, sample available): Leathery labdanum + incense nuance overall, while turning slightly more vanillic and benzoin powdery in the far dry down.
    - Tauer - Amber Flush body oil (approx 19£/50ml): It's a body oil but quite complex. A fresh bergamot opening leading to a sensual, slightly leathery labdanum amber dry down.
    - Olympic Orchids - Olympic Amber (approx 49£/30ml, sample available): labdanum amber with a woody and lemon-y accent from frankincense.
    - Histoires de Parfums - Ambre 114 +1
    - Réminiscence - Ambre: A labdanum amber veering towards salty ambergris in the dry down. It can be found on eBay or discount sites at a good price.

-----

For heady floral, I'd suggest:

- Marina Barcenilla - India & The Perfume Garden & Under The Orange Tree: Their retail prices are usually higher, but their official website is running a sale at half price, making them fall under or around 70£ per bottle. Samples are also available. India is a meaty ylang and tuberose with a sandalwood base and ginger-like fresh spiciness. The Perfume Garden is an indolic jasmine/orange blossom meshing with rose, as well as a bitter green petit grain opening. Under The Orange Tree is a fleshly orange blossom with a resinous undertone.
    - Honoré des Prés - Vamp à NY (72£/50ml): An intoxicating tuberose in the same vein as Annick Goutal Gardénia Passion but more modern and with a boozy accent.
    - Réminiscence - White Tubéreuse: A heady tuberose with a clove-like spicy opening. Can be found on discount sites.
    - Dame Perfumery - Soliflore perfume oil (approx. 26£/10ml, sample available): Standout from this series are Gardenia and Tuberose. Both are realistic florals capturing the headiness of these white flowers. Rose de Mai is also a very natural-smelling rose soliflore.
    - Dame Perfumery - Desert Rose perfume oil (approx. 26£/10ml, sample available): A velvet honeyed tea rose with a peach accent.
    - Tauer - Rose Delight perfume oil: Damask rose with a green geranium accent.
    - La Sultane de Saba - Journey to Malaysia: A heady tuberose with camphor, rubbery and bitter sappy nuances. The dry down is quite similar to white champaca. The perfume costs 79£/100ml, but it also has body mist format with a more affordable price. The perfume is quite strong, so I suppose the body mist should have good performance too.

-----

For cedarwood:

- January Scent Project - Burvuvu (approx. 49£/30ml, sample available): A multifaceted cedar showcasing its camphor, minty and flour-y sandalwood-like aspects, with subtle rose and herbal nuances to round the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    For amber, I'd like to suggest:

- Annayake - Miyako: It can be found on eBay at a quite affordable price sometimes. To my nose, it's like midway between Ambre Sultan and Ambre Fétiche, attaining the incense-amber core of both but without much of the medicinal bay leaf of the former nor the leather of the later.
    - Tauerville - Amber Flash (approx. 45£/30ml, sample available): Leathery labdanum + incense nuance overall, while turning slightly more vanillic and benzoin powdery in the far dry down.
    - Tauer - Amber Flush body oil (approx 19£/50ml): It's a body oil but quite complex. A fresh bergamot opening leading to a sensual, slightly leathery labdanum amber dry down.
    - Olympic Orchids - Olympic Amber (approx 49£/30ml, sample available): labdanum amber with a woody and lemon-y accent from frankincense.
    - Histoires de Parfums - Ambre 114 +1
    - Réminiscence - Ambre: A labdanum amber veering towards salty ambergris in the dry down. It can be found on eBay or discount sites at a good price.

-----

For heady floral, I'd suggest:

- Marina Barcenilla - India & The Perfume Garden & Under The Orange Tree: Their retail prices are usually higher, but their official website is running a sale at half price, making them fall under or around 70£ per bottle. Samples are also available. India is a meaty ylang and tuberose with a sandalwood base and ginger-like fresh spiciness. The Perfume Garden is an indolic jasmine/orange blossom meshing with rose, as well as a bitter green petit grain opening. Under The Orange Tree is a fleshly orange blossom with a resinous undertone.
    - Honoré des Prés - Vamp à NY (72£/50ml): An intoxicating tuberose in the same vein as Annick Goutal Gardénia Passion but more modern and with a boozy accent.
    - Réminiscence - White Tubéreuse: A heady tuberose with a clove-like spicy opening. Can be found on discount sites.
    - Dame Perfumery - Soliflore perfume oil (approx. 26£/10ml, sample available): Standout from this series are Gardenia and Tuberose. Both are realistic florals capturing the headiness of these white flowers. Rose de Mai is also a very natural-smelling rose soliflore.
    - Dame Perfumery - Desert Rose perfume oil (approx. 26£/10ml, sample available): A velvet honeyed tea rose with a peach accent.
    - Tauer - Rose Delight perfume oil: Damask rose with a green geranium accent.
    - La Sultane de Saba - Journey to Malaysia: A heady tuberose with camphor, rubbery and bitter sappy nuances. The dry down is quite similar to white champaca. The perfume costs 79£/100ml, but it also has body mist format with a more affordable price. The perfume is quite strong, so I suppose the body mist should have good performance too.

-----

For cedarwood:

- January Scent Project - Burvuvu (approx. 49£/30ml, sample available): A multifaceted cedar showcasing its camphor, minty and flour-y sandalwood-like aspects, with subtle rose and herbal nuances to round the edge.

Wow I will check them all out. Thank you so much. That was so helpful!