Code of Conduct

Question Recommendation for a Top Note? (For Vanilla & Clove)

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm trying to create my first perfume and am hoping some more experienced users could share their advice.

The Story:
    I've made this body oil before but it's a very crude, homemade recipe (1/4 cup jojoba oil, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 2 drops clove EO). I absolutely loved the scent but was obviously disappointed at how quickly it faded, which I figure is because it's an oil base.

So I decided to try to create a parfum (or an eau de parfum) based on the scent. I'm using 190 proof grain alcohol. I figured I would use clove essential oil and a vanilla CO2 absolute as my middle and base notes.

My question is--do you think I need a top note to compliment these two and if so, any recommendations? I'm looking for something warm and sensual. I haven't been able to think of a single thing that would go with these two. Any advice is appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommendation for a Top Note? (For Vanilla & Clove)

Hi & welcome, Tsarina!

l would try asking your question in the DIY forum here on basenotes; l'm sure you'll get good advice from the experts there.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Vanilla goes with almost everything. But with such a simple blend I would try something a bit spicy/ flowery like Neroli or Orange flower absolute. Any flower would probably be nice though, Jasmine, Mimosa, Orris etc. Or something tropical like Champaca. Or fruity like peach or mango. Both vanilla and clove will show up in the top note but vanilla will last longer.

Basenotes Plus

I'd you want to stick to naturals only, you can use some coriander, or Magnolia flower or leaf.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg & Anise are all typically used Spices in combination with Clove & Vanilla from my experience in cooking. Mint could be another option.

Fruits are the other option I'd recommend: Orange, Lemon, Pumpkin, Apple, Banana, etc.

Thank you birdie, pkiler, and dre for the wonderful suggestions! Originally I wanted to keep it very warm and spicy so I like dre's idea of cinnamon or nutmeg; perhaps even a bergamot? But birdie and pkiler also suggested some wonderful flowers and now I also like the idea of Neroli or Magnolia as the top note... I think I will have to try out the different variations and see which one I like the best!

Thanks again for all your ideas. ^^; (And to birdie, I know this is early but sawatdee pee mai ka! *wai*)

Freed from BN Institution

Cinnamon would be a good choice.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by TsarinaOfHearts View Post
    Thank you birdie, pkiler, and dre for the wonderful suggestions! Originally I wanted to keep it very warm and spicy so I like dre's idea of cinnamon or nutmeg; perhaps even a bergamot? But birdie and pkiler also suggested some wonderful flowers and now I also like the idea of Neroli or Magnolia as the top note... I think I will have to try out the different variations and see which one I like the best!

Thanks again for all your ideas. ^^; (And to birdie, I know this is early but sawatdee pee mai ka! *wai*)
    Kopkhun na khrap!

Are you going for a men’s or women’s fragrance? I would suggest a touch of cardamom and a musk, a powdery one (like pentalide) if you have it for a women’s fragrance. If you are wanting a men’s fragrance you could add some neroli with petit grain and or bergamont. Like you this is my almost first (second) post! Glad to be here and hope this helps