Code of Conduct

Default Development Hell - Fragrance not turning out the way you want it

Has anyone here ever developed a concept for a fragrance and you know exactly how it should smell in your mind, and you gather all of the notes together that fit the goal you are trying to achieve, but when you actually blend them together the fragrance just did not turn out the way you wanted no matter how many different variations of the formula you tried, so you end up stuck in development hell and cannot seem to move forward?

Anyone ever ran into that sort of dilemma with at least one fragrance?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Development Hell - Fragrance not turning out the way you want it

Worked on one like that... it ended up smelling so much like Feijoa fruit / pineapple guava, that I took out what wasn't the fruit smelling part, and finished my Feijoa base.

This is just called "Learning".
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Oh wow. I never heard of Feijoa fruit before until you just mentioned it. Did you ever complete it? How difficult was it in general?

I have been trying to launch a fragrance line for the past few years. I have many fragrances lined up and they have all evolved and improved over the years (I'm so glad that I didn't rush to launch the line, that's for sure!) but the very first one has proven to be BY FAR the most difficult and that's why I can't seem to get off the ground!

The concept for this fragrance in particular was supposed to be centered around a masculine floriental. The fragrance went through literally HUNDREDS of changes over time before I finally found something that fit the concept the best. I finally found the most fitting notes only just recently and that says a lot in the difficulty that went into the development! But for some reason no matter how many times I tried to put the fragrance together it just did NOT turn out right. I just can't seem to go anywhere with it and it's frustrating.

Basenotes Plus

I abandoned that particular blend concept, I had it all laid out in my mind, chose the materials, but as mentioned, put them all together and I got Feijoa fruit. I grew up eating buckets of that fruit from my grandparents neighbors tree. We called it guava. But it is yellow, not the pink we much more often see. Yes, I finished off that Feijoa base...

Sometimes, your concept just doesn't work...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I feel like perufmery materials there is no such thing as a bad concept. For me it usually means that I just wasn't actually clear enough for whatever reason. And yes sometimes it takes years or more exposure to materials to make your concept come into focus. But like Pk says you should always learn something from every failure. And I say you should never be afraid to put it on the back burner for 6 months and try again!

Every failure is progress for another project.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee-J View Post
    Has anyone here ever developed a concept for a fragrance and you know exactly how it should smell in your mind, and you gather all of the notes together that fit the goal you are trying to achieve, but when you actually blend them together the fragrance just did not turn out the way you wanted no matter how many different variations of the formula you tried, so you end up stuck in development hell and cannot seem to move forward?

Anyone ever ran into that sort of dilemma with at least one fragrance?
    Some of us enjoy development hell EVERY time.
    The 'stuck' part you do need to control. Have a funeral for it. Mix it with 50% cedarwood or something and put it in a cleaning fluid, bubble bath, yard scent, whatever. Or maybe you have a big jar that is scrap-all scent. Just get rid of it and shop for new materials and go a different tangent.
    How long is a long stuck for you?

It’s never a failure if you’re learning something, even if what you learned is what NOT to do next time.

I take some comfort in knowing that even veteran perfumers have to 'try, try again.' Sometimes they talk about it in interviews, but Michel Almairac went so far as to label each scent in his personal line with the number of drafts he went through before he was happy with it, averaging over 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Septime View Post
    I take some comfort in knowing that even veteran perfumers have to 'try, try again.' Sometimes they talk about it in interviews, but Michel Almairac went so far as to label each scent in his personal line with the number of drafts he went through before he was happy with it, averaging over 50.
    It all depends on how fast a perfumer works on his drafts, he could be making quick changes or long changes that can take many hours and studying. Some perfumers can make 20 drafts a day, it all depends.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I abandoned that particular blend concept, I had it all laid out in my mind, chose the materials, but as mentioned, put them all together and I got Feijoa fruit. I grew up eating buckets of that fruit from my grandparents neighbors tree. We called it guava. But it is yellow, not the pink we much more often see. Yes, I finished off that Feijoa base...

Sometimes, your concept just doesn't work...
    Ah, that sucks. It's really discouraging when you have such a great concept in mind and you know how it should come together and that way seems like the only way to achieve the desired result, but it just doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    Every failure is progress for another project.
    I agree that sometimes you can use the parts that didnt work out for one project as a building block for another. Many times the new project turns out more successful than the one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Septime View Post
    Yes, that is somewhat comforting knowing that one is not alone in struggling to get something right. It can make you think you're doing something wrong over and over again or you're just an outright failure until you hear the same struggle from others.

Thanks for sharing that!

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    I feel like perufmery materials there is no such thing as a bad concept. For me it usually means that I just wasn't actually clear enough for whatever reason. And yes sometimes it takes years or more exposure to materials to make your concept come into focus. But like Pk says you should always learn something from every failure. And I say you should never be afraid to put it on the back burner for 6 months and try again!
    I completely agree! My concept was a very good one in theory and the notes were a perfect fit, but I guess sometimes when you think certain things go together you come to learn overtime that they just don't, and it's just something you have to accept - which is what I'm trying to come to terms with now.

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    I completely agree!

My concept was a very good one and like you said it did take a few years of exposure to different materials to learn just what it was that I wanted to accomplish. But I guess sometimes even though things may seem to work in theory, in practice the materials, when blended together, just produce something that will never work in your favor and that's the hardest part to come to terms with when you see no other options that will achieve the desired outcome.

hey dee-j, with all my respect, i'm asking for your very honest opinion now: if a person gets a professional education as a perfumer in one of the big companies, lets assume for somehow 5 years, similar like you are involved in the matter: do you think this person would consider herself as being ready to start her own line?

as a sidenote i want to second pk's comment about the Feijoa story, that projects sometimes turn into a very unexpected direction. it happened to me too latley while working on a musk accord, and oops i had a wonderful replacement-accord for lyral. <3

Think about pharma-medico researchers honing in on a very specific outcome. They theorize, test, iterate in well funded labs with all sorts of special materials and equipment, yet success is announced only every so often. Perhaps perfumery is similar. The goal of a unique pleasing scent, yet the inability to take available materials and readily pop out good outcomes, may reflect that positive outcomes are not very plentiful.