Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ...

Thumbs down ...

Bs.
    Last edited by david; 18th April 2019 at 01:52 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare decants and 1 ml samples available, including Djedi/Nombre Noir/Original Patou Pour Homme/Basala etc...

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) Resurfaces !!!

The notes look fabulous and Gucci Pour Homme is sorely missed! Thanks for this. I'm definitely looking forward to a try. Don't you love these random nifty discoveries?!
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of lifeís relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Cardinal by Heeley

I already went through this once before with the Bentley Intense hype. There is NO Gucci PH alternative, other than maybe Tommy Bahama original cologne, which is also discontinued and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I already went through this once before with the Bentley Intense hype. There is NO Gucci PH alternative, other than maybe Tommy Bahama original cologne, which is also discontinued and expensive.
    It was Bentley Absolute, signed by Michel Almairac (original GPH perfumer) that was said to be a clone. Bentley Intense was done by Nathalie Lorson and is a completely different fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Basenotes Plus

Default Gucci Pour Homme (2003) Resurfaces !!!

Iíll be interested to smell it. Although I have GPH 2003, which is not heavy hitting smokey or heavy hitting anything. It is cedar dominant and light incense, which is where the true beauty of it lies. It is a straightforward really good smelling fragrance that is extremely versatile. Not polarizing in anyway. If I find the fragrance you mention for cheap, I will get it and compare. Even if they arenít super close, youíre bringing forward a fragrance that reads as if it smells very nice. Thanks for mentioning it.

Update: I just ordered a bottle online. I should have it in about a week and will update afterwards. Thanks again.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Interesting
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Interesting
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I’ll be interested to smell it. Although I have GPH 2003, which is not heavy hitting smokey or heavy hitting anything. It is cedar dominant and light incense, which is where the true beauty of it lies. It is a straightforward really good smelling fragrance that is extremely versatile. Not polarizing in anyway. If I find the fragrance you mention for cheap, I will get it and compare. Even if they aren’t super close, you’re bringing forward a fragrance that reads as if it smells very nice. Thanks for mentioning it.

Update: I just ordered a bottle online. I should have it in about a week and will update afterwards. Thanks again.
    Great! Looking forward to your assessment!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    It was Bentley Absolute, signed by Michel Almairac (original GPH perfumer) that was said to be a clone. Bentley Intense was done by Nathalie Lorson and is a completely different fragrance.
    Whichever one it was, I tried it, and didn't find it to be a good substitute.

I had it but the drydown lacked dynamism and the cedar got cloying after a while. I prefer Potion EdP by D Squared, for a similar quality.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I had it but the drydown lacked dynamism and the cedar got cloying after a while. I prefer Potion EdP by D Squared, for a similar quality.
    Or, I couldíve just waited for Bigs to weigh in. This is right in his wheelhouse of expertise. Ah well, Iíll still chime in after I receive the bottle. I only paid $17 for it. My lunch today cost more than that. Now worries.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Why the sarcasm ? If you are not open minded, don't buy it ....and learn english...cheapie, not 'cheapy'. 'It never smell the same' ???...at least learn english before you make such snide comments.
    because it does never smell as much like gucci pour men just like the bentley perfume dont not smell like lubin indole, duh silly

Or, I could’ve just waited for Bigs to weigh in. This is right in his wheelhouse of expertise. Ah well, I’ll still chime in after I receive the bottle. I only paid $17 for it. My lunch today cost more than that. Now worries.
    I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on 1981 Men. Potion is more syrupy than the Gucci; it's really a matter of preferences.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

WoW !
    Today I blind bought Guess 1981 for Men, (a 2017 release) at a local french market. It was a sealed box and the seller did not have a tester...and I did not have a smart phone to look up reviews. It was not expensive so I just bought it.
    I'm glad I did. As soon as I sprayed it I recognised it instantly. The heavy hitting smoky dominant cedarwood/incense accord that is Gucci Pour Homme !
    Congrats and enjoy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

WoW !
    Today I blind bought Guess 1981 for Men, (a 2017 release) at a local french market. It was a sealed box and the seller did not have a tester...and I did not have a smart phone to look up reviews. It was not expensive so I just bought it.
    I'm glad I did. As soon as I sprayed it I recognised it instantly. The heavy hitting smoky dominant cedarwood/incense accord that is Gucci Pour Homme !
    I owned 1981 and gave it away: to my nose it has very little to do with Gucci pour Homme (2003).
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 25th April 2019 at 05:01 AM.

Own 2x100ml of the cheap Bentley Absolute (also done my Michael Almairac indeed) which I love and is pretty identical to the original GpH (2003) imo.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombrť Leather
    - Guerlain: Hťritage (vtg)
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend
    - YSL: Kouros (FraÓcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Now I'll have to go down to the shops in teh next few days and check out Guess 1981.

Can their really be two scents that make one feel as though one has been chainsawing or lumber-jacking all day?
    Regards,
    Renato

I have a decant of the Gucci, and can barely tell it apart from Bentley Absolute.

Basenotes Institution

Are we talking about this one?

"When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Are we talking about this one?

That seems to be it. Have you tried it?

Basenotes Institution

That seems to be it. Have you tried it?

No. Would never have tried this if I hadn't read this thread.

I loved and wore the hell out of Gucci Pour Homme when it came out - that was pre-Basenotes. And I have a decant of the Bentley and I agree with the comments above that it is VERY SIMILAR to the Gucci. I honestly couldn't tell them apart. Even the drydown of the Bentley is fantastic.

Sure - next time I see a bottle of the Guess I will try it. I'm assuming Macy's has this...or Sephora.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Sure - next time I see a bottle of the Guess I will try it. I'm assuming Macy's has this...or Sephora.
    Iíd recommend ordering online, since you can currently get it for $20 or less with free shipping. I doubt Macyís or Sephora will match that pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Whichever one it was, I tried it, and didn't find it to be a good substitute.
    + 100
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Baccarat Rouge 540
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Sleek Suede / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada LíHomme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

Never understood the hype with the aforementioned Gucci. I owned multiple bottles in the past and in spite of it being a pleasant woody, I was truly underwhelmed.

When I needed a cedar fix, I reached for Tumulte. I still own Bahama and it's okay, but in no way deserving of the absurd prices some want for it.
    My signature is written in ancient Aramaic using invisible ink that's scented by a unique and secretive combination of birch tar and saffron infused with a wispy rendition of garlic.
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

What's Gucci I 30ml going for sale these days?

Basenotes Plus

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on 1981 Men. Potion is more syrupy than the Gucci; it's really a matter of preferences.
    Ok, time for an update...

Guess 1981 came in today. It is not a clone of GPH Ď03 nor is it really close, to my nose. Sweet citrus, light woods, and the cheapest priced ambrox they could find dominate this fragrance. Wears similar to Nautica Pure Cologne in weight, but is more sweet. Cedar does not standout but can be observed WAY in the background. No incense at all. And I could almost swear I smell a touch of calone. Becomes very light and ethereal after 15 minutes. Perfectly safe for office or church etc and does smell good. For $20 or less, this is a good fragrance to keep in your vehicle as a refresher as needed. However this is not at all a solid replacement for Gucci Pour Homme. And it also doesnít exude any particular aspect of quality. Kinda what youíd expect a 2nd tier clothing companyís fragrance to smell like. Sorry. I was hoping for the best. I havenít smelled Bentley Absolute, but if itís like this then Iíll pass. Again, itís not a bad fragrance at all. Iíll certainly use and enjoy it. Just not as a substitute for GPH.

Guess 1981 came in today. It is not a clone of GPH ‘03 nor is it really close, to my nose. Sweet citrus, light woods, and the cheapest priced ambrox they could find dominate this fragrance. Wears similar to Nautica Pure Cologne in weight, but is more sweet. Cedar does not standout but can be observed WAY in the background. No incense at all. And I could almost swear I smell a touch of calone. Becomes very light and ethereal after 15 minutes. Perfectly safe for office or church etc and does smell good. For $20 or less, this is a good fragrance to keep in your vehicle as a refresher as needed. However this is not at all a solid replacement for Gucci Pour Homme. And it also doesn’t exude any particular aspect of quality. Kinda what you’d expect a 2nd tier clothing company’s fragrance to smell like. Sorry. I was hoping for the best. I haven’t smelled Bentley Absolute, but if it’s like this then I’ll pass. Again, it’s not a bad fragrance at all. I’ll certainly use and enjoy it. Just not as a substitute for GPH.
    Yup, that's what I thought. And your description applies pretty much to every recent Guess masculine fragrance.

Guess 1981 came in today. It is not a clone of GPH Ď03 nor is it really close, to my nose. Sweet citrus, light woods, and the cheapest priced ambrox they could find dominate this fragrance. Wears similar to Nautica Pure Cologne in weight, but is more sweet. Cedar does not standout but can be observed WAY in the background. No incense at all. And I could almost swear I smell a touch of calone. Becomes very light and ethereal after 15 minutes. Perfectly safe for office or church etc and does smell good. For $20 or less, this is a good fragrance to keep in your vehicle as a refresher as needed. However this is not at all a solid replacement for Gucci Pour Homme. And it also doesnít exude any particular aspect of quality. Kinda what youíd expect a 2nd tier clothing companyís fragrance to smell like. Sorry. I was hoping for the best. I havenít smelled Bentley Absolute, but if itís like this then Iíll pass. Again, itís not a bad fragrance at all. Iíll certainly use and enjoy it. Just not as a substitute for GPH.
    I trust Diddyís nose more than I trust my own....

With that said, Iíll pass...

The only fragrance that Iíve encountered that even comes close to GPH1 is CDGís 2Man. Iíd say itís about 80% there and I actually find it a bit more versatile because itís a tad more laid back, wears a little more discreetly and can be worn in slightly warmer temps than GPH1.

With that said, GPH1 is an 8.5-9/10 and 2Man is a solid 8/10 for me. 2Man isnít cheap, but itís much more fairly priced than the overinflated GPH1 and will ďscratch the itch.Ē
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I trust Diddy’s nose more than I trust my own....

With that said, I’ll pass...

The only fragrance that I’ve encountered that even comes close to GPH1 is CDG’s 2Man. I’d say it’s about 80% there and I actually find it a bit more versatile because it’s a tad more laid back, wears a little more discreetly and can be worn in slightly warmer temps than GPH1.

With that said, GPH1 is an 8.5-9/10 and 2Man is a solid 8/10 for me. 2Man isn’t cheap, but it’s much more fairly priced than the overinflated GPH1 and will “scratch the itch.”
    interesting take. I definitely see the similarity, but to me it’s just a single accord/note that they have in common, although that accord is very prominent in both scents and plays a central role in their character. For me GPH was a 7/10 while 2 Man is 9-9.5/10. I’ve always felt GPH to be a bit one dimensional, and is one of those unicorns that gets extra love thanks to being discontinued (Then again, I’m definitely biased as 2 Man is one of my favorite scents ever, definitely always in my top 2 or 3, and one of my first fragrance loves).
    Nevertheless, I still find myself drawn to these kinds of threads, as GPH is theoretically my ideal kind of dry woods and incense fragrance. I’m still tempted by the hype and talk of clones, despite the fact that it never quite clicked with me.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I trust Diddyís nose more than I trust my own....

With that said, Iíll pass...

The only fragrance that Iíve encountered that even comes close to GPH1 is CDGís 2Man. Iíd say itís about 80% there and I actually find it a bit more versatile because itís a tad more laid back, wears a little more discreetly and can be worn in slightly warmer temps than GPH1.

With that said, GPH1 is an 8.5-9/10 and 2Man is a solid 8/10 for me. 2Man isnít cheap, but itís much more fairly priced than the overinflated GPH1 and will ďscratch the itch.Ē
    Coming from you, sir, I consider your remarks about me very high praise!

What is wrong with you???

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    interesting take. I definitely see the similarity, but to me itís just a single accord/note that they have in common, although that accord is very prominent in both scents and plays a central role in their character. For me GPH was a 7/10 while 2 Man is 9-9.5/10. Iíve always felt GPH to be a bit one dimensional, and is one of those unicorns that gets extra love thanks to being discontinued (Then again, Iím definitely biased as 2 Man is one of my favorite scents ever, definitely always in my top 2 or 3, and one of my first fragrance loves).
    Nevertheless, I still find myself drawn to these kinds of threads, as GPH is theoretically my ideal kind of dry woods and incense fragrance. Iím still tempted by the hype and talk of clones, despite the fact that it never quite clicked with me.
    I totally get your line of reasoning. In my humble and unrefined opinion, the Ďbeautyí of GPH Ď03 is its ease. Incense and cedar that is so versatile itís damn near boring. I feel thatís the draw of it to the mass. Any pedestrian, C student, unworldly Diddy can wear incense. Anytime. Anywhere. It simply smells pleasant as hell and doesnít have a polarizing bone in its body. Not really nose candy for an aficionado, right? I do enjoy it very much and Iím happy to have it. But I also feel itís not worthy of the unicorn status it receives, along with the high prices. Itís simply not a journey, but a destination scent. You spray it and youíre at the happy ending almost immediately. CdG 2Man is more of a journey. Thereís more going on. And so I totally get anyone loving it, and even loving it more than GPH.

The Guess is not in the same league as the Gucci or CdG. I wish it was. I really do. It just isnít. BUT... itís not a bad fragrance and I plan on wearing it to work the rest of this week. Iím glad the thread popped up. Thanks again, OP, for bringing the Guess to our attention! Iíve no doubt that some people will absolutely love it, especially at its price.

This was a great exercise.

I'm intrigued by the discussion. I have never had the chance to try GPH . I have just received and tried Guess 1981... The scent is very pleasant but the fragrance gone without projection in minutes, if ever. So I ask myself what a worthy scent may be to supplant GPU since its discontinued.

Bently Absolute and CdG 2Man sound like the candidates. Is the projection for these two passable?

Disappointed with that Guess 1981 fragrance lack of strength but maybe expected a lot.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of lifeís relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Cardinal by Heeley