Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Consumer Responses Needed for Study on Fragrance Perceptions

Hello gentlemen and gentlewomen of the Basenotes forum boards,

My name is Larry or GonzagaFragrance206 as I’m known on the boards and I created this thread to ask a favor of you all. I’m conducting a research study on fragrance consumers’ perceptions of fragrances with non-English titles for my Transnational writing doctoral course and need fragrance consumers like yourselves to answer four short questions below.

Within my course, we’ve been talking a lot about how transnationalism impacts the writing practices of international students or non-native English speakers within America, how having to abide by SAE (Standard American English) impacts the identities of these individuals, and the linguistic choices these individuals make to express themselves within a classroom. For example, there is a term called “code-meshing” where individuals use and combine words/phrases from their native language (local, vernacular, colloquial, or world dialect of English) with standard written English on a formal assignment. Individuals may opt for using their native language instead of English for a particular term because there is no English equivalent word, it sounds better, or it is a personal choice. Being a fragrance nerd, when our final paper prompt was announced, I was wearing Chanel’s “Bois des Iles” and thought to myself as I stared off into space, “Woods of the Islands” is a pretty bad ass name, why didn’t Chanel just opt for the English equivalent name? With that, BOOM, this research study and subsequent final paper were born. Answering these questions should take no more than 5-6 minutes and your participation in my study is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help and time.

Questions

1. In what way does a fragrance with a non-English name impact your potential
    interest or purchasing decision of that particular fragrance? (Ex. Chanel’s Cuir
    de Russie or Tauer Perfumes’s L’Air du Dessert Marocain)

2. In the global age that we live in and with the English language being the world's
    unofficial lingua franca (common language that is adopted by speakers
    whose native languages are different), what benefits or drawbacks can you see from the perspective of a fragrance company for choosing to label a fragrance with a non-English name as opposed to its English equivalent?
    -Why not Call Serge Lutens “Jeux de Peau” by its English equivalent
    name “Skin Games” instead?

3. How do your preconceived notions of a country effect your view of not only
    non-English named fragrances, but also fragrance houses of non-American
    origin? (Ex. Italian=Georgio Armani=fashionable/romantic)

4. Do you feel a fragrance company should stick solely to one language or use as
    many languages as possible to aptly name a fragrance? Please explain.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Fragrance Consumer Responses Needed for Study on Fragrance Perceptions

PM sent to you. Good luck with your research.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Default Re: Fragrance Consumer Responses Needed for Study on Fragrance Perceptions

PM sent. The questions did give me some things to think about, so answering them was fun.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

nmn
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Basenotes Plus

PM sent.

1. Actually thinking about it now, I've found myself on a few occasions looking up the names of fragrances using Google Translate or reading up on fragrances on Fragrantica/Basenotes for the English translation of the fragrance. I guess that shows I'm invested in the fragrance somewhat, at least enough to look up the name behind a fragrance. In some cases, if the fragrance has an intriguing name, it adds a bit more intrigue to the fragrance for me or perhaps loftier expectations L’Air du Dessert Marocain was one of them, though I absolutely hated it XD

2. As human beings, I'd imagine were all to some degree proud of our heritage and where we come from. Fragrance houses are no different and even if English is the most predominant language spoken around the world (though Spanish and Mandarin may have something to say about that), I think it speaks volumes about a house when they stay true to their company's roots and native language and continue to name fragrances in a language they are comfortable with, whether non-English or not. I guess the drawback would be if companies started doing the exact opposite of what I just said, naming all their fragrances in English just for a perceived money grab, pandering to their perceived major, core audience (perhaps consumers from English-speaking countries) and turning their back on their history of their company.

3. Not in the traditional sense that many would assume, example, French people are rude. I think within the world of fragrance, we expect a certain type of DNA, note, or style of fragrance from a quote unquote non-American fragrance company. For example I equate Creed (French) with Ambergris, Chanel with aldehydes, Guerlain with Vanilla (L'Art Et La Mature line did this to me), and Dior with Iris. In regards to a non-English named fragrance and how my preconceived notions of a country impact my view of it, I'm not sure it really does. Most fragrance houses are Non-American and have been historically for many years so I sort of expect many Non-American fragrance houses to stay true to their roots and name fragrances in their mother tongue.

4. Would it be cool to see a fragrance with an inscription on a bottle written in Spanish, mandarin, and arabic. Of course. Seeing Frederic Malle's "The Night" written in all Arabic does give it a bit of uniqueness and authenticity to the fragrance. I feel this way because they are either are staying true to the origins of the country in which they were established as a fragrance house or in the case of Frederic Malle, they had a type of fragrance or audience in mind (Middle-Eastern inspired). But to answer your question, I would say use as many languages as you prefer to name your fragrance, however, most fragrance houses would usually opt for just using one to not confuse the consumer or marketing of the fragrance.

pm sent