Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The power of bleu

Default Re: I love heliotrope

I love heliotrope too! Like you, I was inspired to try growing it but it was a huge FAIL. Since then, I learned that heliotrope was terribly toxic to dogs so I doubt I ever try it again.

Guerlain‘s L’Heure de Nuit is a gorgeous, radiant heliotrope fragrance.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I LOVE your username & avatar, shadesofbleu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tested Guerlain L’Heure de Nuit a long time ago. I thought I would love it, given the reviews and the many comparisons to my favorite L’Heure Bleue + Apres L’Ondee. The fragrance didn’t last long enough for me to enjoy, and something about it didn’t click with me. I wasn’t swooned. I can’t recall to mind what it was about L’H de N that I found lacking. I much prefer my Grossmith Shem-el-Nessim. While I can detect the white musk (not a fan of this note), the feeling is there. It’s a quiet scent. No projection on me, but I’ll take longevity over projection any day! My point is, Shem has the feeling.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Basenotes Institution

How nice to see a note like this get some hype. You mentioned the one that started it all for me: L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle. One of my favorite. Along with Apres l'Ondee vintage Parfum by Guerlain.

Also, if you like scented soap try this one, it has loads of heliotrope with the almond oil and smells fantastic in a shower:

"When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Thank you, mikeperez23, for the soap recommendation!
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Etro Heliotrope (the vintage bottle from the 90's) is still the best heliotrope I've tested on skin, a magic musky/almondy fragrance.
    Me, too. Gorgeous stuff.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Eau Belle by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Okay, it is not a powerhouse but I get a good 5-6 hours where I can clearly smell it whether others can smell it by then I doubt.

Yes, really a great steal in TKMaxx
    Picked up the Piver for a tenner today and it's lovely. Quite persistent on my skin too. I almost picked up the Vetiver from the same house but ended up with 100 Bon Mimosa & Heliotrope Poudre, which I haven't opened yet. Anyone else tried this?

A cheapo that I forgot to mention before is Al Haramein's Angel which can be found for a few quid; I got it locally from a seller in Birmingham's Rag Market so could try it before I bought it. Heliotrope and vanilla and lavender, it's quite enjoyable as a semi-gourmand oriental.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    How nice to see a note like this get some hype. You mentioned the one that started it all for me: L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle. One of my favorite. Along with Apres l'Ondee vintage Parfum by Guerlain.

Also, if you like scented soap try this one, it has loads of heliotrope with the almond oil and smells fantastic in a shower:

I was just following this thread intensely on holiday because I love heliotrope as well, and your post came up just as I arrived in Porto. I'm exhilarated! It must be fate. I'll head down to the store myself later today and give this soap a whiff. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Not a huge fan of this note in general, but have a soft spot for the synthetic heliotrope in Joop! Homme

Carner Barcelona Tardes is great for heliotrope. Highli recommend.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zachong View Post
    I was just following this thread intensely on holiday because I love heliotrope as well, and your post came up just as I arrived in Porto. I'm exhilarated! It must be fate. I'll head down to the store myself later today and give this soap a whiff. Thanks so much for the recommendation.
    Oh lucky you. I'd love to go there. Enjoy! You're welcome.

They also have the scent in a bath oil. Basically you add it to a hot bath and it foams up a tiny bit and also fills the bathtub with the scent. It's kinda pricey but totally worth it.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBaby View Post
    I recently grabbed a bottle of Cuir Beluga which has quickly become a real favorite of mine. I couldn't really pick out what about it I loved so much other than this vague aroma of marzipan, almond, and vanilla which sort of reminds me of Italian pastries. Anyway, I checked out the notes and noticed heliotrope. Could a flower I have never heard of actually be the Italian pastries accord?

So off to a plant nursery I went. I tracked down some Heliotropium arborescens and holy crap it is a dead ringer. I'm now obsessed with these friggin flowers. I bought more. I can't even keep weeds alive so I am pretty sure they'll die soon, but I'm going to try to keep them alive.

Now that I discovered heliotrope I went out and grabbed Freddy Malle's L'eau d'hiver. Also, very awesome stuff. Nice and pillowy, but with great longevity on me (not as much as cuir beluga). Anyway, my question for the participants of this board is, has a fragrance ever willed you into pursuing something new; such as trying out gardening, herb foraging, or hyrax hunting?
    Oh Lord, yes. I have earned the tongue-in-cheek title of Potions Master because of my many fixations on various liquids (liquors, tea, perfums, etc.). A couple years ago I was on an absinthe kick and thought I'd search this site for samples of the best absinthe-centric scents, the results of which in turn gave me new ideas for home-brewing (some batches more successful than others.)

As a fellow heliotrope lover PM me if you would like to try a sample of vintage Royal Copenhagen or Jaipur Homme.
    "Kimi o utau yo chiisana koto ga
    Ookina hikari ni natte ku you ni
    Kakinarashite wa kakinarashite wa inotteru." -Spitz,'Boku no Guitar'
    Currently wearing: Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I’m getting the Claus Porto soap. Got weak in the knees when I saw this. No relation to heliotrope. Mine now.F5F71342-B1CE-44ED-BCA0-01ED527B6D4B.jpegIt matches my avatar!