Code of Conduct

Default So What Happened to Sartorial Prices?

The last time I checked, you could buy a 100ml tester of Sartorial for $50 or less. I think I bought one for $40 from Fragrancenet a couple of years ago. Now the cheapest price I can find for a new 100ml bottle is over $120, and that's only at high-end retailers like Saks and Bloomingdales. We've gone from the market literally being flooded with bottles, to scarcity, seemingly overnight and I haven't seen anyone mention anything about it. This reminds me of what happened with Rive Gauche Pour Homme. One day you could buy 125ml tin can originals for $35 and then a few months later, poof, they skyrocketed in price. So what is going on here, discontinuation imminent, or just limited production now?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So What Happened to Sartorial Prices?

Penhaligon's is trying to do price control to enforce their new niche market position, and going after gray market sellers like Chanel does. You have to go to some backwater sites some of these sellers have fled to (like truegether) to find the older prices (about $70 lowest for $100), just use PayPal for purchase protection. The alternative is to pay Penhaligon's MSRP of $150 bucks (some as high as $300 if we're talking the prestige lines). It's a pretty lame tbh.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I’ve noticed this and for their retail asking price they can keep the fragrance imo. Reviews are all over the place for this house and quality is said to not match their asking price retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Penhaligon's is trying to do price control to enforce their new niche market position, and going after gray market sellers like Chanel does. You have to go to some backwater sites some of these sellers have fled to (like truegether) to find the older prices (about $70 lowest for $100), just use PayPal for purchase protection. The alternative is to pay Penhaligon's MSRP of $150 bucks (some as high as $300 if we're talking the prestige lines). It's a pretty lame tbh.
    Well that's unfortunate that they've gone that route. It's good but not great, and definitely not worth the prices that I'm seeing now, to me at least. But if I had foreseen this rise in prices I might have hung on to that tester. But I could say that about a dozen or more that I've let go over the years.

I guess this is another one that you'll just have to keep an eye on and try to find the occasional bargain whenever possible. Really sucks but that's the way this fragrance game goes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I’ve noticed this and for their retail asking price they can keep the fragrance imo. Reviews are all over the place for this house and quality is said to not match their asking price retail.
    Yeah I'm not a big fan of the house at all. This one is by far their best, in my opinion, but it's definitely not worth more than $50 or $60 for 100ml. I won't be losing any sleep over not having it. Just shocked to see how the prices went up so quickly. Then again, it's probably been about a year since I checked on the prices for this one, so this may have happened a while back actually.

I've just been on a vintage Brut After Shave/Cologne kick recently, and thought it would be nice to get another bottle of Sartorial to have around again as it does share some similarities with Brut as well.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    I guess this is another one that you'll just have to keep an eye on and try to find the occasional bargain whenever possible.
    I imagine this trend will continue with even more houses in the future.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Well that's unfortunate that they've gone that route. It's good but not great, and definitely not worth the prices that I'm seeing now, to me at least. But if I had foreseen this rise in prices I might have hung on to that tester. But I could say that about a dozen or more that I've let go over the years.

I guess this is another one that you'll just have to keep an eye on and try to find the occasional bargain whenever possible. Really sucks but that's the way this fragrance game goes I guess.
    Most houses don't seem to care (Creed, Dior, Guerlain) about image erosion from the gray market. It's a sign that a house has something to lose if part of their strategy is to keep their perfumes out of the hands of aspirational customers, and only let those unconcerned about price versus perceived quality buy their goods. At least Chanel has a leg to stand on because they do get counterfeited a lot.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This fragrance seems to have disappeared from online retailers where I live otherwise having other Penhaligon's fragrances in stock-it may be a deliberate move to create scarcity for a future price hike

Oh well. It was a good fragrance; at $40.

Dependent

Yeah, I paid $45 through Notino a couple of years ago. Loved it when I first got it, but I don't wear it too often anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    This fragrance seems to have disappeared from online retailers where I live otherwise having other Penhaligon's fragrances in stock-it may be a deliberate move to create scarcity for a future price hike
    Good thing I got my Sartorial replacement when I did. Same thing’s happening with Endymion. They are indeed tightening up the gray market supply.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Most penthaligons aren’t even niche quality. They don’t last long. Not in same league as Chanel’s

Sartorial is one is the few ones that has some quality

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    Yeah, I paid $45 through Notino a couple of years ago. Loved it when I first got it, but I don't wear it too often anymore.
    If you are ever looking to sell it and make back the money you paid, I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

I had the same issue you're experiencing now when I was searching for a bottle about 4 or 5 months ago. A month or two before that and it was everywhere at really good prices; 100ml testers for $50, new ones for $70 at, 50ml bottles for anywhere from $45--$65. Then when I went to get one, almost all 50ml bottles had disappeared and I could only find either 100ml testers for about $90/100 and up, and little 30ml bottles. The only places carrying new 100's were places like Luckyscent that don't discount, so it was the full $125 or whatever they charge there for 100's. I finally found a new 50ml for $50 from someone who was selling it here in the marketplace. But if it wasn't for that, I don't think I would have bought a bottle--it was just too expensive everywhere I looked.

I was wondering the same thing: Why the sudden scarcity around Sartorial?

Yes I was just perusing for this yesterday : ~£100 / 100ml , ~£80 / 50ml UK.
    Blows Deflated raspberry
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Good thing I got my Sartorial replacement when I did. Same thing’s happening with Endymion. They are indeed tightening up the gray market supply.

Same here, did happen to like Sartorial enough to accumulate/stock up on backups (even if grey market/discounted sources scarcity would not be an issue, would still amply get backups of this one simply due to liking this very fragrance)