Code of Conduct

Question Dilution of Essential Oils

Hello. Recently I've purchased some essential oils. After reading comments,/reviews/opinions, I've discovered that these essential oils have complex aromas, which can be "accessed" through dilution in alcohol. So, I've decided to buy some 190 proof alcohol (as it seems fit for the task) to dilute them and to find these complex and even beautiful aromas. I have diluted them but it seems like to me that the aroma doesn't changed at all or just a tiny bit, but towards not likeable results. Taking for example: Cistus (Rock Rose) EO... I open the bottle, smells like herbal, minty-fresh-like, herbal-sweet and I kind of can feel something there, "animalic sweet", that really made me feel comfortable, but it is there, deep hidden somewhere. Thought in my mind: I need to dilute it to find and unveil that aroma! Pour something like 20ml alcohol in a glass, then add drop by drop. 1% dilution: nothing. 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%... nothing. It gets even worse, now it smells to me like some grass/hay with animal urine on it, not that "animalic" sweetness.

What I don't understand it is how some find the aroma, as I found online, almost everywhere, to be: balsamic, warm, sweet, animalic, amber-like, woody, lemon-like?, spicy?. Truth be told, besides a little bit warm and herbaceous sweet I can't discover or feel any others of those.

Then moving to Patchouli EO. What others feel: balsamic, earthy, woody, sweet, herbaceous. Thought: Wow! I want to smell that woody-earthy-herbal-balsamic sweetness.
    Open the bottle:Something minty, then... that moment when you open a bag of potatoes that is covered with mud and earth, then that is almost if not exactly the same aroma I feel. Nothing balsamic-woody-herbal sweet and wow. Dilute it: 1%... nothing, the same. 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%... Nothing! Still potatoes!

I obviously admit that I am new to these kind of things with EO's and dilutions. But that is why I don't understand how others feel these "rich and complex aromas". My question is what I've been doing wrong, or what am I missing... besides knowledge or experience.

Side Note: I have Lavender EO as well and I dilute it, and the aroma kind of "deepens" and it becomes more "alive". Maybe the single EO that I'm having success with dilution and becomes more beautiful with dilution.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Dilution of Essential Oils

Cistus, EO, Rock Rose, is different from the Labdnaum odor profile, which matched more closely to what you've quoted. The Cistus is the leaf distillation, and the Labdanum is the resinous exudate. They are different animals.

There are many versions of Patchouli, the cheaper the version, the more potatoey dirt-y it might smell.

As for diluting these naturals, to ferret out their hidden profiles, naturals are not often so strong to really need dilution. I think it might be more profitable to simply place the natural on a strip, and observe/smell it over a protracted amount of time to learn it better.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by simple.user View Post
    1% dilution: nothing. 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%... nothing.
    I agree with PK, 5% is not strong enough. Try increasing it to 10%, and if you still donít like it, increasing that to 15% or 20%. Most perfumes are in that range of strength. 5% is mostly for massage oils or toiletries.

Patchouli oils vary a lot in quality, and tend to be better once they have aged. Iíve hear of people rapidly Ďagingí patchouli by leaving the cap off for a few weeks to let the oxygen work on it, but I havenít tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Cistus, EO, Rock Rose, is different from the Labdnaum odor profile, which matched more closely to what you've quoted. The Cistus is the leaf distillation, and the Labdanum is the resinous exudate. They are different animals.

There are many versions of Patchouli, the cheaper the version, the more potatoey dirt-y it might smell.

As for diluting these naturals, to ferret out their hidden profiles, naturals are not often so strong to really need dilution. I think it might be more profitable to simply place the natural on a strip, and observe/smell it over a protracted amount of time to learn it better.
    Hello and thank you for the reply. Yes of course, I knew that Cistus was different from Labdanum. But still, to smell like grass/hay covered in urine was something unexpected for me (or it may just be that I am feeling the aroma like so). As for Patchouli EO, it might be true, poor quality and also what came into my mind is that the plant material wash freshly distilled as described in Arctander's Book about perfume materials of natural origin (I have a PDF file of the book).
    ''An almost wine- like, ethereal-floral sweetness in the initial notes is characteristic of good oils although this top note can be absent or masked in freshly distilled, otherwise good oils.'' -Arctander

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Septime View Post
    Patchouli oils vary a lot in quality, and tend to be better once they have aged. I’ve hear of people rapidly ‘aging’ patchouli by leaving the cap off for a few weeks to let the oxygen work on it, but I haven’t tried it.

I bought a quantity of Patchouli... it sits on my shelf, two years now,... just aging...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.