Code of Conduct

Thread: Making EDP

Default Making EDP

Hi. I'm in the process of making my own EDP. I've used 25% fragrance oil and the rest Ethanol 96%. I know the normal ratio for EDP is between 15% and 20% but I wanted it to be a little stronger. However, it doesn't really project. I know that adding fixatives will change the composition and I will end up with a different perfume. Is there any chemical I can add to boost the projection? I am not a perfumer therefore my knowledge is very close to 0, sorry if i'm offending anyone. Thank you.

Default Re: Making EDP

Before diluting your concentrate you should allow it to macerate and age for at least 2 months. Also something I recently discovered is distilled water will help the notes have a platform to project off, also helps the alcohol absorb a little longer, you can add any amount you want but I use about 5-15%

I read many threads about this topic and perfumers always say never to add distilled water to perfume. I will give it a try next time maybe it helps. Thank you very much for your response SharpLess!

Interesting, from what I've read where water supposedly dilutes the perfume and makes it even weaker. I will definitely try though. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel0270 View Post
    Hi. I'm in the process of making my own EDP. I've used 25% fragrance oil and the rest Ethanol 96%. I know the normal ratio for EDP is between 15% and 20% but I wanted it to be a little stronger. However, it doesn't really project. I know that adding fixatives will change the composition and I will end up with a different perfume. Is there any chemical I can add to boost the projection? I am not a perfumer therefore my knowledge is very close to 0, sorry if i'm offending anyone. Thank you.
    what ingredients are you using? where did you purchase from?
    without this information its nearly impossible to provide advice.

and, i cannot second the recommandation to add water for increasing projection.

Quote Originally Posted by pavomi View Post
    i cannot second the recommandation to add water for increasing projection.
    Do you have any logical explanation why water doesn't work for projection, any first hand experience? I know fixatives don't help, they drown out a perfumes notes.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    Do you have any logical explanation why water doesn't work for projection, any first hand experience? I know fixatives don't help, they drown out a perfumes notes.
    From what I've read here, they say water dilutes the perfume even more.

I've heard from multiple sources that water added to perfume creates a fresh layer/platform on the skin for top/middle notes to gain extra liftoff from, that's why I mentioned it, I can't get into any fancy details or how much water should be used compared to ethanol, it's just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by pavomi View Post
    what ingredients are you using? where did you purchase from?
    without this information its nearly impossible to provide advice.
    I just bought some fragrance oil from the internet, I'm not a perfumer like I said.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel0270 View Post
    I just bought some fragrance oil from the internet, I'm not a perfumer like I said.
    hello gabriel0270, you should take some time and read this:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...ead-this-first

it will cover most of the questions coming up for beginners.
    short answer to your question about projection: its about the ingredients used & their exact composition. fragrance oils are premade accords, and this issue is covered at some points in the link above.

shall the reading inspire you! cheers, pavomi