Code of Conduct

Default Recommended reading?

I recently finished reading Lizzie Ostrom's fascinating encyclopedia/history "Perfume: A Century of Scents," and I'm currently working on Mandy Aftel's "Fragrant," an exploration of the history and uses of various key fragrance ingredients (cinnamon, frankincense, vetiver, etc). Next on my list is Jean-Claude Ellena's "Diary of a Nose." I'm a big fan of Ellena's fragrances, curious to read about his process.

What are your favorite books about the world of fragrance? I'm interested in anything from encyclopedia type resource books to biographies, etc. Basenotes gives me plenty to read, but I can never have enough!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Recommended reading?

Chandler Burr The Perfect Scent
    Emperor of Scent

“...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Blog Entries

Some great recommendations here so far!

l think you would enjoy Scent & Subversion by Barbara Herman, & Cult Perfumes by Tessa Williams.

The Perfume Lover by Denyse Beaulieu is a fun read, too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame;4601406
    [B
    Turin & Sanchez’s Perfumes: The A-Z Guide[/B]
    I enjoyed reading this one also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Seconding Patrick Suskind’s Perfume : The Story of a Murderer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I have not seen the movie for comparative purposes.)

Roja Dove’s The Essence of Perfume.

A Scented Palace, The Secret History of Marie Antoinette’s Perfumer by Elizabeth de Faydeau.

If you’re lucky and can get your hands on any one of the out-of-print Guerlain books, like I was, that would be awesome. I have the signed Fallous book. My copy came with its original shipper, and a surprise corresponding newspaper article folded inside.

I have 2 more out-of-print books, an antique bottle flipbook from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and another hardcover book from the ‘90s, of vintage fragrances, in similar style to the Roja book, but filled with tons of antique advertisements, purchased from the 7th fl of Bergdorf Goodman. (Forgot name & title. Must dig it up from my stacks upon stacks of books in a heavily confined space. The Mummy’s Tomb. I do NOT want to tackle it!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last but not least, I own a few near-mint / mint condition issues of Vogue Magazine from the 1980s. These come with some of the famous ads I remember growing up. Mine are complete with those insert cards that fall out everywhere. My favorite issue is dated December 1984. I searched high and low for it.

Edited to add: I just remembered I own that weird one by Avery Gilbert, What the Nose Knows: The Science of Scent in Everyday Life. Book has its moments for sure.
    Last edited by Shemelimelle; 10th May 2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Forgot something. More.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

I love Nez magazine which is published bi-annually (April & September). Each issue, they discuss a topic such as the gender of a perfume, synthetic vs natural, clean vs dirty, animalic in perfumes etc, from various perspectives of perfume, art, science, literature. There are also reviews of the latest releases, interviews with famous perfumers such as Francis Kurkdjian, Annick Ménardo, articles on perfumes from a specific decade, on perfume raw materials, etc.

-
    Perfumes: The A-Z Guide by Luca Turin, Tania Sanchez

The Chemistry of Fragrances: From Perfumer to Consumer (RSC Paperbacks) 2nd Edition by Charles Sell

Folio Columns 2003-2014 by Luca Turin

Fragrances of the World by Michael Edwards http://www.fragrancesoftheworld.com/

The Emperor of Scent by Chandler Burr

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind

The Secret of Scent by Luca Turin

Le Parfum by Edmond Roudnitska

Perfume Legends by Michael Edwards

The Perfect Scent: A Year Inside the Perfume Industry in Paris and New York by Chandler Burr

Scent and Chemistry: The Molecular World of Odors 1st Edition by Günther Ohloff, Philip Kraft

The Art of Perfumery by G.W. Septimus Piesse.

Introduction to Perfumery by Tony Curtis, David G. Williams

Perfumes The Guide 2018 by Luca Turin, Tania Sanchez
    -

If you speak French, Annick Le Guerer has a few good books on the history of perfumery from antiquity to the present.

Basenotes Plus

Awesome list @Puran!!! Thank you!

Wow, thanks everyone for the great recommendations! I can probably track down a fair amount of the out of print material - I'm a PhD student in French literature so I have access to all sorts of databases and archives - and, luckily I can also read French. Would love to track down some of the vintage Guerlain material. I'm actually supposed to be working on my dissertation now, but I've decided to research fragrances instead to procrastinate. Maybe I'll just change my dissertation topic... Thanks!

Also just to add: if anyone has any rare or out of print material you’re trying to track down, feel free to send me a private message and I’d be happy to see if I can track it down. I have access to pretty much all academic/professional archives and services through the University of California.

Since you speak French, I definitely agree with cacio that Annick Le Guérer’s Le Parfum : Des origines à nos jours is worth a read, especially the chapters that provide a good summary of the history of perfume industry.

If you’re interested in how a perfume is made, from its conception with the brand’s marketing to its manufacturing to its distribution, as well as information on different perfume materials, I highly recommend Le Grand Livre du Parfum from Nez La Revue.

If you’re interested in reading about iconic perfumes of different eras, Les cent onze parfums qu’il faut sentir avant de mourir, also from Nez La Revue is also very informative as well as entertaining.