Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Critique and suggestion on my sample list

I've been mostly a CdG Hinoki or Creed GIT wearer in the past couple of years. Been thinking about trying out some other scents, mostly by random reading but also the great sticky by Buysblind.

This is a list of the stuff I have been considering. I assume there are a lot of overlaps here and would like to cut down. If there is a category or scent I should try and am missing, I would appreciate the suggestion as well!

• Bulgari Man in Black
    • Burberry London Men EdT
    • Caron Le 3e homme
    • Creed Bois du Portugal
    • Creed Original Santal
    • Creed Spice and Wood
    • Creed Virgin Island Water
    • Dusita Issara Extrait de Parfum
    • Frederic Malle Bois D'Orage / French Lover
    • Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    • Imaginary Authors Every Storm a Serenade
    • Maison Francis Kurkdjian Paris Baccarat Rouge 540
    • Rochas Eau de Rochas Pour Homme
    • Thorn and Bloom Limestone
    • Tom Ford Tobacco Oud
    • Versave Pour Homme EDT

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Critique and suggestion on my sample list

I would suggest trying the ones below and if any are to your liking then go the next step:

• Caron Le 3e homme
    • Creed Bois du Portugal
    • Creed Original Santal
    • Creed Spice and Wood
    • Creed Virgin Island Water
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Some solid options on that list, I'll get behind Bois du Portugal. Great frag. If you're interested in exploring some variations on that theme, I'd also recommend:

New York Intense
    Invasion Barbare
    Fougere d'Argent
    Bracken

And generally speaking, I'd add some Amouage to your list of things to consider.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Good list. Not a fan of the Versace, Rochas, and Bulgari one. And perhaps you can try only one or two of the Creeds (say Bois de Portugal) and rather diversify into other brands.

Bvlgari MIB isn't exactly a bad fragrance (it's a decent designer oriental with some intriguing notes, even if I don't think it quite coheres overall), but it isn't one I'd tell folks to prioritize. There's much better out there. Even the MIB Orient flanker is better than the original MIB release.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tknx View Post

• Bulgari Man in Black
    • Caron Le 3e homme
    • Creed Bois du Portugal
    • Creed Spice and Wood
    • Tom Ford Tobacco Oud
    • Versave Pour Homme EDT
    Since you liked GIT, I'd say exploring Creed is a fair takeaway. There are many Creed-o-philes who swear by the brand. Malle is worthy but just so darn spendy. 540 is an experience. Le3 is a master class. London is the perfect smell of fall for 20 minutes. Man in Black does what others do worse, but is a good value. Tom Ford is all the rage. Versace is literally available everywhere things are sold.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Very good list, nothing or very little to criticise or even add, as the balance and variety of great quality designer and niche classics with good to great performance is nearly perfect.

Would perhaps add more lavender scents of the fresh yet also classic type in a style quite similar to the thread starting list, like L'Occitan and Caron pour un Homme, as well as a quality tobacco scent, anywhere from Aramis Havana, CK One Shock, Bogart Signature or Bogart pour Homme among the affordable, to Duc de Vervins and/or Duc de Vervins l'Extreme, Chergui among the pricier ones, to add just a bit more variety and explore further than the already solid option of TF Tobacco Oud.

Basenotes Member

In my limited experience, the best possible thing you can do is to put your own nose on any fragrances you're considering. The best option is to get small samples so you can actually wear them for at least a day, so you can get to know how they evolve over the course of the day. Fragrances react (and smell) differently with different peoples' body chemistry, so it's better to wear them on your skin than to have them on test paper, if that's a feasable option for you.

As far as the actual list goes, you've got some pretty highly thought-of fragrances on there. Now, you need to know if you like them.