Code of Conduct

Default How to tame Labdanum Absolute.

Hello everyone! I have a question regarding labdanum absolute. I love using this and I have a pretty solid labdanum based cologne that I enjoy. My only concern is that the labdanum seems to overpower the composition which after a few hours wear still makes the scent flat. I have tried lowering the amount but I donít like how it changed the composition. Are there any recommendations on how to tame it down without losing its effects on the rest of the composition?
    Thanks!

Default Re: How to tame Labdanum Absolute.

It’s also worth noting that the fragrance is a incense/oriental woody type.

Labdanum and cistus oils I have smelled are quite varied in scent. Maybe try a few different sources? I I have smelled some that blend very well and others that are way too pungent.

How much have you adjusted your % by? It really is just fine tuning. I've been tweaking some formulas to the +/- 0.05% with labdanum absolute.

Also, for sanity's sake, it helps if you're not modifying any other items in the formula at the same time as that makes it much more difficult to calibrate the aroma to your liking.

Since you said it happens after a few hours, my guess is that it's not overpowering the other materials but simply outlasting them. If nothing else has the same kind of longevity, then it simply is gonna be a solo labdanum party after a certain point. You may need to add other materials with similarly long lifetimes so that the labdanum still has playmates at the tail end of the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by ourmess View Post
    Since you said it happens after a few hours, my guess is that it's not overpowering the other materials but simply outlasting them. If nothing else has the same kind of longevity, then it simply is gonna be a solo labdanum party after a certain point. You may need to add other materials with similarly long lifetimes so that the labdanum still has playmates at the tail end of the fragrance.
    Thanks! My wording was a bit off, but I should have said it influences the top notes too much so that there isn’t much transition in the scent when worn. My apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    How much have you adjusted your % by? It really is just fine tuning. I've been tweaking some formulas to the +/- 0.05% with labdanum absolute.

Also, for sanity's sake, it helps if you're not modifying any other items in the formula at the same time as that makes it much more difficult to calibrate the aroma to your liking.

I did it in increments of .05g. The complete end weight is 10g and the labdanum content is at .4g. I’ll try tweaking it by .02g and see what happen! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Labdanum and cistus oils I have smelled are quite varied in scent. Maybe try a few different sources? I I have smelled some that blend very well and others that are way too pungent.

This is a great point that I did not consider! I’ll look around for some different sources when I order my next shipment of supplies. The labdanum abs I’m using is the Perfumers Apprentice 50%.

If the labdanum is overpowering the composition, it means that probably you have a bad labdanum accord.
    Swap the labdanum for a well ballanced labdanum accord. The problem is not the labdanum, but the way it binds to the notes (bind notes missing?).

Quote Originally Posted by Levanthenon View Post
    Thanks! My wording was a bit off, but I should have said it influences the top notes too much so that there isn’t much transition in the scent when worn. My apologies!
    Maybe increase your top and heart notes then.

Quote Originally Posted by Levanthenon View Post
    Hello everyone! I have a question regarding labdanum absolute. I love using this and I have a pretty solid labdanum based cologne that I enjoy. My only concern is that the labdanum seems to overpower the composition which after a few hours wear still makes the scent flat. I have tried lowering the amount but I don’t like how it changed the composition. Are there any recommendations on how to tame it down without losing its effects on the rest of the composition?
    Thanks!
    use less
    Know your "why," and the how is there.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmeleg View Post
    use less
    Wow, why didn’t I think of that!