Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Greek Cologne Mirto Lemon

    Mirto Limon.jpg

    I am positive we have Greek users here at basenotes. I am curious about this cologne, and there is not much information about it online, nor does there seem to be any way to purchase online. From what I read this is a true eau de cologne, and perhaps is used more in the Turkish fashion of a scented sanitizer than perfume. Are there any Greeks who could enlighten me on experiences with this Mirto Lemon?

  2. #2
    Dependent Monsieur Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,909

    Default Re: Greek Cologne Mirto Lemon

    Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    Mirto Limon.jpg

    I am positive we have Greek users here at basenotes. I am curious about this cologne, and there is not much information about it online, nor does there seem to be any way to purchase online. From what I read this is a true eau de cologne, and perhaps is used more in the Turkish fashion of a scented sanitizer than perfume. Are there any Greeks who could enlighten me on experiences with this Mirto Lemon?
    There are Greeks on Basenotes dear.
    Μυρτω was the name of a firm that produced a few more other eau de colognes but the lemon accord was my favourite.
    I know this since my childhood but i didn't know that it is still in production because i haven't seen it for years.
    During my last visit at home we have discussed about this with my friends (the old good days) but i was told that it can not be found any more, that it is out of production.
    Thank you for letting us know about the opposite.
    About this scent: It is (or better say it was as i haven't smelled the new one but i could bet it is the same scent) a very fresh, simple, not long lasting and very cheap lemon accord eau de cologne.
    I do not know how Turks are using such perfumes but in Greece it used to be like an allrounder "family scent" back in the 80's and it was very beloved by the people.
    After taking a shower, as an aftershave, before going to school or the church, people used to use this one almost in every occasion.
    Here a link to an advertise from the year 1987
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_6-o0Fv6I

    If it is still made as it used to i would buy it not only because of the fine memories!

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,305

    Default Re: Greek Cologne Mirto Lemon

    Ok, I’m interested.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Junkie Shemelimelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Big Apple Orchard
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Greek Cologne Mirto Lemon

    I’ve never seen Μυρτω (How do I get the accent over the omega with my keypad??) anywhere, growing up. This item was not exported. Exportation to the U.S. was severely limited in the 1980s, or else I would have looked into it. Not a fan of lemons.

    I saw the commercial! I was reminded (somewhat) of the Prince Matchabelli Verve tv commercial, which brings a big smile to my face, ear to ear. My Misty Lace talc shaker is on its way!
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

  5. #5
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Land of the Chypre
    Posts
    12,465

    Default Re: Greek Cologne Mirto Lemon

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    There are Greeks on Basenotes dear.
    Μυρτω was the name of a firm that produced a few more other eau de colognes but the lemon accord was my favourite.
    I know this since my childhood but i didn't know that it is still in production because i haven't seen it for years.
    During my last visit at home we have discussed about this with my friends (the old good days) but i was told that it can not be found any more, that it is out of production.
    Thank you for letting us know about the opposite.
    About this scent: It is (or better say it was as i haven't smelled the new one but i could bet it is the same scent) a very fresh, simple, not long lasting and very cheap lemon accord eau de cologne.
    I do not know how Turks are using such perfumes but in Greece it used to be like an allrounder "family scent" back in the 80's and it was very beloved by the people.
    After taking a shower, as an aftershave, before going to school or the church, people used to use this one almost in every occasion.
    Here a link to an advertise from the year 1987
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_6-o0Fv6I

    If it is still made as it used to i would buy it not only because of the fine memories!
    Thanks for this, MM.

    I had no idea Μυρτώ was a brand name... not sure why but I always thought this referred to myrtle, which is a flower and an aromatic-smelling note in perfumery.

    Your assessment is however spot-on in terms of usage of a traditional cologne. Having lived and worked in Turkey, their culture with respect to perfumes/colognes is very similar. In fact, I would say it's more enshrined in their culture to be 'perfumed' throughout the day. I find many people in Turkey (Greeks included) - actually I'm specifically referring to Istanbul now - have their favourite fragrance on their desk at work. You may think this to be 'normal' for the ladies, but it is surprisingly very popular for men to do this as well.

    Anyway, getting back on topic, I will take a look next time I am in a Greek grocery store here and should my travels take me to the motherland, I will be sure to look there too and report back.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

  6. #6
    Basenotes Junkie Shemelimelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Big Apple Orchard
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Greek Cologne Mirto Lemon

    Hey, rum, how’d you do that? *scratches head*
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Greek Cologne Mirto Lemon

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    There are Greeks on Basenotes dear.
    Μυρτω was the name of a firm that produced a few more other eau de colognes but the lemon accord was my favourite.
    I know this since my childhood but i didn't know that it is still in production because i haven't seen it for years.
    During my last visit at home we have discussed about this with my friends (the old good days) but i was told that it can not be found any more, that it is out of production.
    Thank you for letting us know about the opposite.
    About this scent: It is (or better say it was as i haven't smelled the new one but i could bet it is the same scent) a very fresh, simple, not long lasting and very cheap lemon accord eau de cologne.
    I do not know how Turks are using such perfumes but in Greece it used to be like an allrounder "family scent" back in the 80's and it was very beloved by the people.
    After taking a shower, as an aftershave, before going to school or the church, people used to use this one almost in every occasion.
    Here a link to an advertise from the year 1987
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_6-o0Fv6I

    If it is still made as it used to i would buy it not only because of the fine memories!
    How interesting; I am not actually sure if it is manufactured anymore and if it was never exported that would 1. explain why I cannot purchase it and 2. I will not be able to find out if it is still made until I make a trip to Greece.

    I like the Turks and Greeks style; here in America I think people more so want a perfume that has a long performance vs. reapplying throughout the day. I, being such a fan of hesperidics, am looking for what essentially would just be a quick lemon splash that is drug store cheap. I will have to look into the Turkish lemon water; is there anyone with any familiarity of them?

    One more tidbit I found interesting I read is in certain Asian countries they actually use these lemon waters to clean their hands after eating fish.

  8. #8
    Dependent Monsieur Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,909

    Default Re: Greek Cologne Mirto Lemon

    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Thanks for this, MM.

    I had no idea Μυρτώ was a brand name... not sure why but I always thought this referred to myrtle, which is a flower and an aromatic-smelling note in perfumery.

    Your assessment is however spot-on in terms of usage of a traditional cologne. Having lived and worked in Turkey, their culture with respect to perfumes/colognes is very similar. In fact, I would say it's more enshrined in their culture to be 'perfumed' throughout the day. I find many people in Turkey (Greeks included) - actually I'm specifically referring to Istanbul now - have their favourite fragrance on their desk at work. You may think this to be 'normal' for the ladies, but it is surprisingly very popular for men to do this as well.

    Anyway, getting back on topic, I will take a look next time I am in a Greek grocery store here and should my travels take me to the motherland, I will be sure to look there too and report back.
    I don't know anyone (from my coworkers) who keeps perfumes at work here in Germany. I keep about 20 perfumes in my closet, not on my desk. I am sure that most (if not all) of our german basenoters keep perfumes at work but generally speaking most keep people here keep Deodorants or body sprays but that would be it (ladies included).
    So it seems that it is kind of "cultural" when it gets in perfumery and the use of perfumes on a daily basis and not just on special occasions.
    I hope you get the chance to visit motherland pretty quick. I did 3 months ago and i am wondering when the next visit should be...




Similar Threads

  1. [USA] Alvarez Gomez Colonia Cologne & Myrsol Lemon AS.
    By e d o in forum Items for Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th May 2018, 09:55 PM
  2. Lemon Eau de Cologne
    By bokaba in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 30th October 2013, 05:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000