Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guerlain (vetiver) and my age ?

I heard a lot of good things about Guerlain's fragrances, and that Guerlain Vetiver is a great summer fragrance. I want another vetiver for my collection; I only own Encre Noire.

However, I only own one guerlain fragrance, Habit Rouge (EDT I think), which I am not a huuuge fan of. I was told by a girl (who always complimented my frags) that I smelled like an old man. To be honest, Habit Rouge does smell quite mature/old to/for me. And the Guerlain bottle design and name and everything doesn't exactly shout ''young'' or ''modern'' to me.

I am 21 years old and concerned that other Guerlains, specifically vetiver, will be too mature/old man/outdated for me. Please let me know what y'all think!
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Dependent

Default Re: Guerlain (vetiver) and my age ?

Don't be silly, wear it.

It'd go great on a young chap donning a shirt, trousers and dress shoes.

It is hard to tell how you are going to feel about it, but I only find Habit Rouge a bit mature in the opening. From there it is fine, I think. Vetiver is too tough for me though. Way more "dated" in comparison for me. But that might be my associations.
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

From a personal viewpoint alone, considering that 21 is not too young for wearing and enjoying both Habit Rouge and Vetiver.

Should Vetiver be not so much too mature, but somewhat too strong, simply applying less sprays may be the solution for turning Guerlain Vetiver into and making it easily perceptible as the elegant yet fresh, office/work appropriate everyday scent it is or can be.

Regarding the Habit Rouge...….try the L'Eau version if you can! It Is more tame and modernized if you will!
    Also try Homme L'Eau Boisee for a more approachable (woody fresh) vetiver next to the Guerlain Vetiver.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Anyone can wear the current version, it's a fresh grassy green scent. It smells timeless, imo you could be fifteen or eighty five and it would suit you well.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Aurum d Angkhor By Sultan Pasha
    2. Fougere Noire By Sultan Pasha
    3. L' Heure d' Or By Sultan Pasha
    4. Encens Chypre By Sultan Pasha
    5. Equilibre By Sultan Pasha
    Currently wearing: Equilibre by Sultan Pasha

Last edited by Trauerkraut; 18th April 2019 at 08:25 AM.

Guerlain Vetiver, great though it is, has always felt very mature to me. I like mature scents, so that isn't a slight, but it's still suggestive of an earlier era.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tobacco Reserve, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by tcmquincy View Post
    I am 21 years old and concerned that other Guerlains, specifically vetiver, will be too mature/old man/outdated for me. Please let me know what y'all think!
    It completely depends on 'who' you are. If you wear it with confidence and know it fits your personality then it works. When a young person wears vintage clothes, what do you think? Cool or not? And a fragrance isn't usually identified by most people as having an era unless they are actually into fragrances and know the age groups they go with. And even if someone recognizes a vintage fragrance it can still be really cool.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Anyone can wear the current version, it's a fresh grassy green scent. It smells timeless, imo you could be fifteen or eighty five and it would suit you well.
    This.

It works on everyone, and if I could only have one summer scent, it would be this. You can wear it anytime and anywhere.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

The current version is not very different than TF GV and everyone goes gaga over that one so I think you should be fine.

Looks like im gonna have to blind buy it then! lol. thanks for the input guys
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I heard a lot of good things about Guerlain's fragrances, and that Guerlain Vetiver is a great summer fragrance. I want another vetiver for my collection; I only own Encre Noire.

However, I only own one guerlain fragrance, Habit Rouge (EDT I think), which I am not a huuuge fan of. I was told by a girl (who always complimented my frags) that I smelled like an old man. To be honest, Habit Rouge does smell quite mature/old to/for me. And the Guerlain bottle design and name and everything doesn't exactly shout ''young'' or ''modern'' to me.

If you like vetiver, wear and enjoy it and don't worry about what others think.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

If you like this kind of vetiver then wear it proudly.

I also recommend trying Chanel Sycomore, Dior Vetiver and Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Vetiver-centric fragrances are usually more mature in general to my nose. Between Habit Rouge and Vetiver, I would say HR is even more mature smelling, I would still say give Vetiver a try, especially since it's so affordable too. It's really hard to tell what's going to smell "too mature" on you till you try it. And you're always going to wonder till you try it as well.

If you're at all unsure about it, see if you can try it before you blind buy it. I agree with the other sentiments here that it shouldn't be dismissed out-of-hand as "old" or "outdated". It's very much going to come down to whether or not you like it. That can mean different things to different people. Some are only concerned about whether they themselves enjoy it, some are concerned about whether others around them like it, and I suspect that for most people, it's a combination of both.

Guerlain (vetiver) and your age?

yes, a good combo

Guerlain Vetiver is one of those fragrances that smells absolutely timeless to me.

Also try Guerlain Vetiver Extreme it is a good alternate to switch between with the original.

+1 Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée another great Vetiver fragrance with lime.

And the Guerlain bottle design and name and everything doesn't exactly shout ''young'' or ''modern'' to me.
    That is a good thing.Young and especially modern would be two things personally I would want to avoid.

I would suggest trying it first. Personally, I appreciate it but don't care for it for myself.
    If you want to stay Guerlain, an alternative that you might consider is the already suggested Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée. I think it would be great in your climate there.
    Plus, it is very reasonably priced.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    The current version is not very different than TF GV and everyone goes gaga over that one so I think you should be fine.
    For me Guerlain Vetiver is more nutty and more mature where as TF GV is more clean soapy and modern. And I don’t think Vetiver in an of itself is mature smelling. The Guerlain however is to my nose.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJP View Post
    I would suggest trying it first. Personally, I appreciate it but don't care for it for myself.
    If you want to stay Guerlain, an alternative that you might consider is the already suggested Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée. I think it would be great in your climate there.
    Plus, it is very reasonably priced.
    Second this. Guerlain Vetiver does have a dated feel to it to me, as timeless as it may be from a perfumista's perspective. I much prefer L'Eau Boisee too.

Please let me know what y'all think!
    It's definitely acclaimed and well worth a sample.
    If you like and and can rock it - go with.

There's lots of vetiver prominent fragrances - all likely much brighter than the EN you already own - that I'm sure fellow basenoters can suggest.
    Maybe try a search for 'fresh vetiver', 'best vetiver', 'citrus vetiver' etc. or whatever you feel might fit you ? There'll be lots of threads and lots of new fragrances to find out about!!
    Currently wearing: Classic by Pecksniff's

I've tried Guerlain's Vetiver and Vetiver Extreme, and both feel a little dated on me. I'm 32, and I felt like I was probably on the young end for these.

I'd second the recommendation that others have made about l'Eau Boisee. It is similar to other Guerlain scents IMO but seems more contemporary, and I really like the lime note in the opening.

I think it all depends on your demeanor, age aside.

Are you a laid back, mature person despite your age?

I'm 34 now..Love it since my 24! Don't worry, wear it!

Then you read what you wanted to read. If you think Habit smells dated then you should be careful buying Vetiver. If you do like it, then it's not a problem. After reading this thread yesterday I wore Vetiver in the evening. It does not smell modern, nor good at all... Get back with your thoughts after trying/buying it! And best of luck!
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

I can't guarantee you're not going to receive some kind of ignorant comment from one of your peers while wearing Guerlain Vetiver, but you really have to learn to put that stuff aside if you truly enjoy something (and as long as you know you smell "good" and not like someone who just rolled around in a pig sty). Also, Guerlain Vetiver has been updated and right now it's a really nice, spicy, grassy green vetiver that has a bit of a more modern appeal, imo, so now is as good a time as ever to buy it.
    I'm currently selling bottles of the rare cult classic--Keith Urban Phoenix. Send me a private message if you're interested!

I appreciate that BuysBlind!

I hate receiving negative comments. The only 2 I ever get are ''you smelled like an old man/ old lady'' but it still hurts every time haha

I'll have to give guerlain vetiver a try! I love mysterious blind-buys anyway!