Code of Conduct

Default Behold, I bring you another pocket money rose. This time its gourmand and sexy with it!

Straight out the gate I've smelled something very, very similar to this before but at a much higher price point that made its name not even worth filing when sampled. If anyone partakes and recalls the vibe please let me know as it is exceedingly similar in many facets to the mystery overpriced version I can't quite place at the moment. The scent that has my nostrils quivering in pleasure today is:

Angel Schlesser - Oriental Edition II

Angel Schlesser Oriental Edition II has a refined character which reminds us of classic and traditional notes of the house, leaves an impression of luxury and reflects temperament and dynamics of the Orient. Top notes will refresh you with bergamot surrounded with a bouquet of rose, jasmine, violet and lily of the valley. A heart leaves a surprising trace of saffron and carnation enriched with juicy pralines, while a base warms you up with woody accords of cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, musk, amber and vanilla.
    There is an exceedingly Arabic feel to this juice due to the interplay of accords, primarily the patchouli and the rose but its the insertion of praline that is the star and takes this whole scent over into dirty, sexy, warm territory as its just wonderfully blended. Oud is not a listed note but you certainly get the vibe of it, especially in the opening so in a nutshell you get a large juicy rose thats been dipped in chocolate, presented to you on an amber platter piled with foliage that rests upon a freshly sawn wooden table as someone walks by crushing vanilla pods and spices with a pestle.

Overall it smells like how velvet feels and is as oriental as the name suggests. Aimed at the ladies but easily sportable by the chaps, comes in at a pocket money price and has beautiful performance as its just right for the density of the scent without being overbearing. Speaking of which there is a lot going on and its been really well blended and there are quite a few transitions throughout its performance as the accords play peek a boo, taking turns at center stage. Marvelous.

Once again if this were rebranded at a much higher price point BNers would be raving about its superlative qualities because it really is that good and smells very niche. Nothing like Or Encens in any way shape or form in case you're wondering, totally different in every respect and not as versatile. Very sensual though and more suited to the cooler months as I could imagine how this would feel radiating off your skin in Autumn as its got that whole velvet sheen thing going on in spades.

Great juice, worth a squeeze if you like how it sounds and if you do partake please share your impressions as this is another hidden gem in the genre and a relatively safe blind buy.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Behold, I bring you another pocket money rose. This time its gourmand and sexy with it!

Armani Privé Rose Arabie, which retails for around $300.

You can find the Angel Schlesser online for less than $30.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Default Re: Behold, I bring you another pocket money rose. This time its gourmand and sexy with it!

Sounds right up my alley - thanks for digging this up, Palmolive.

Think this is only available as EdT not EdP. Does it have reasonable staying power?
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

Is that what I'm smelling? It may just be as I do remember sampling the entire Prive range in one fell swoop ages ago. Will have to check it again and compare, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreen View Post
    Sounds right up my alley - thanks for digging this up, Palmolive.

Think this is only available as EdT not EdP. Does it have reasonable staying power?
    Performance is really nice because it doesn't smell thick/cloying like so many rose/oud combos do but it is nice and persistent. Please update with your impressions once you get a bottle as I can really see this style of scent having some fans because its quite appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Performance is really nice because it doesn't smell thick/cloying like so many rose/oud combos do but it is nice and persistent. Please update with your impressions once you get a bottle as I can really see this style of scent having some fans because its quite appealing.
    Sounds better and better - thanks. Impressions may be a while coming as my perfume budget for the month is blown.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Basenotes Plus

Is that what I'm smelling? It may just be as I do remember sampling the entire Prive range in one fell swoop ages ago. Will have to check it again and compare, thanks.
    Probably.

It has that same dark, rose-oud with saffron and isn't cloying, like so many of them. It's "nice", but somewhat underwhelming, especially given the exorbitant price tag. And there are many better options at less than half the cost of the Armani. Paying for the brand and the stupid looking bottle.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Probably.

It has that same dark, rose-oud with saffron and isn't cloying, like so many of them. It's "nice", but somewhat underwhelming, especially given the exorbitant price tag. And there are many better options at less than half the cost of the Armani. Paying for the brand and the stupid looking bottle.
    It must be as those were my exact impressions and the price to quality feel was the reason I didn't even bother to remember the name as I knew it wouldn't interest me at that price point, irrespective of how nice the juice was. With a zero lopped off however it suddenly becomes a much more interesting proposition.

The entire Prive range, beside one or two that I think are decent, is easily the most overpriced and under delivering higher end range of scents in my estimation although I will most likely give them all another sniff now with a bit more attention when I'm next in store to check how Rose Arabie compares to the AS.

Sounds better and better - thanks. Impressions may be a while coming as my perfume budget for the month is blown.
    It happens!

Thank you for the recommendation, will certainly look this up asap, both online and in nearer fragrance stores - rose, Oriental feel, pocket money pricing, what is there not to love about it?

Get ten Schlessers is my advice

Armani Prive are uniformly rubbish imo

Dependent

lol at "juicy praline" . . . never had a juicy nut (thank goodness)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Don't recall having tried this one. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Haven't tried this one either.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Creed

Thanks for taking the time to point this out.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Basenotes Plus

Another pocket change rose, if you want something that really dials up the boozy aspect of Rose d'Arabie, is the masculine version of L'Eau de Parfum 20 by Korres. This begins with a bit of a rocky ride for 15-20 minutes but settles down beautifully to a whiskey-rose with seamlessly blended anise that is not recognizable as such but serves to give the melange very subtle lift. Not overpowering, but the dry-down lasts and lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    Another pocket change rose, if you want something that really dials up the boozy aspect of Rose d'Arabie, is the masculine version of L'Eau de Parfum 20 by Korres. This begins with a bit of a rocky ride for 15-20 minutes but settles down beautifully to a whiskey-rose with seamlessly blended anise that is not recognizable as such but serves to give the melange very subtle lift. Not overpowering, but the dry-down lasts and lasts.
    Nice one, I've actually been looking into sampling this house as well due to one or two of its compositions getting my interest so will add that to the list.

Yes, mine too, BUT you only live once Per the last masculine rose thread I picked up splendid L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme. I'll have to try this one too to keep the batting average at 1000.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Performance is the only area that I'm critical of this scent.

It opens huge for the first couple of hours, dials back to arms length for another three and then is a skin scent for the rest of the day and night. Could be nose fatigue as I'd sprayed some on a card as well yesterday and thats still clearly noticeable or it could be a bit front loaded. Interesting as the reviews unanimously say its a heavy scent...

Will have to give it another spin to check as I only used two sprays but its quite warm here at the moment and I do get the feeling that this one (like LIDGE) really needs the cooler weather to come to life as the heat may speed up its evaporation.

If it has an 'Arabic feel' I won't enjoy it.

Did anybody else try this?
    Life is too short to sample. Buy Blind | I am generally not interested in batch hunting or weak fragrances.

Top 10 in no particular order:

Amouage - Epic Man
    Montale - Black Aoud
    Montale - Aoud Lime
    Boucheron - Jaipur pour homme edp
    Hermes - Terre d'Hermes pure parfum
    Thierry Mugler - A Men Pure Malt
    Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    Rochas - Lui
    Davidoff - Cool Water
    Mancera - Cedrat Boise

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Straight out the gate I've smelled something very, very similar to this before but at a much higher price point that made its name not even worth filing when sampled. If anyone partakes and recalls the vibe please let me know as it is exceedingly similar in many facets to the mystery overpriced version I can't quite place at the moment. The scent that has my nostrils quivering in pleasure today is:

Angel Schlesser - Oriental Edition II

There is an exceedingly Arabic feel to this juice due to the interplay of accords, primarily the patchouli and the rose but its the insertion of praline that is the star and takes this whole scent over into dirty, sexy, warm territory as its just wonderfully blended. Oud is not a listed note but you certainly get the vibe of it, especially in the opening so in a nutshell you get a large juicy rose thats been dipped in chocolate, presented to you on an amber platter piled with foliage that rests upon a freshly sawn wooden table as someone walks by crushing vanilla pods and spices with a pestle.

Overall it smells like how velvet feels and is as oriental as the name suggests. Aimed at the ladies but easily sportable by the chaps, comes in at a pocket money price and has beautiful performance as its just right for the density of the scent without being overbearing. Speaking of which there is a lot going on and its been really well blended and there are quite a few transitions throughout its performance as the accords play peek a boo, taking turns at center stage. Marvelous.

Once again if this were rebranded at a much higher price point BNers would be raving about its superlative qualities because it really is that good and smells very niche. Nothing like Or Encens in any way shape or form in case you're wondering, totally different in every respect and not as versatile. Very sensual though and more suited to the cooler months as I could imagine how this would feel radiating off your skin in Autumn as its got that whole velvet sheen thing going on in spades.

Great juice, worth a squeeze if you like how it sounds and if you do partake please share your impressions as this is another hidden gem in the genre and a relatively safe blind buy.
    Also sounds similar to a Joe Malone Malone I've tried with rose and praline. Good stuff.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

It’s good for the $ and in the vein of Lancome Oud Bouquet though less sweet. I like it but not sure if I will reach for it often.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive;4603189[B
    ][/B]

Thanks for your keen insight on this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.