Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dependent

Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme - prices

I have some for sale in the marketplace here, fair price, and haven't gotten any serious interest. So I don't think too many peeps are looking for it, or those that are must not be that appalled by the price gougers on eBay

Whatever price: it's always too much!
    Currently wearing: Oud Immortel by Byredo

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Only see brown leaf bottles around now. That are just about accessible price-wise.
    Lol I was going to ask about the all black vs brown leaf but my query has been deftly answered
    And... they're now £260.00 a bottle!
    Shame your not in the UK big Steve, I would bite ya hand off for any version!

Had a 3.3oz, nearly full bottle for sale of what I think is the version from around 2010? 7KAA batch code. Not sure. Doesn't matter really as it's discontinued.

Only asked $50 for it, which I thought was very reasonable, but now I'm going to hold onto it for a while.

Nobody seems interested now, but we'll see what happens in a year or so. No telling what the asking price will be then.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Had a 3.3oz, nearly full bottle for sale of what I think is the version from around 2010? 7KAA batch code. Not sure. Doesn't matter really as it's discontinued.

Only asked $50 for it, which I thought was very reasonable, but now I'm going to hold onto it for a while.

Nobody seems interested now, but we'll see what happens in a year or so. No telling what the asking price will be then.
    This stuff is so strong too. I nabbed 2 backups right as it began going up and I'm going to be on my death bed with some remaining. 2 sprays for me and I'm good all day.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

One of my favs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drjones152 View Post
    Absolutely not ! I have the 1st and 3rd formula , the 2nd I smelled and it's horrible like tsar in all green box, way too much alchole and very synthetic..the brown and black leaf box is very close to the original 1st formula was all Oakmoss now it's tree moss and oakmoss , I guess they tried to comply with the IFRA rules , and avoided the treemoss and left with little oakmoss and whatever else they used to replace it ..it was too strong for me like tsar I have 1st and 3 formula and I did a side by side test almost the same u can tell the differ , 1st is more round and earthy 3rs one is sharp and earthy aswell both good projection and longtivy is the same ..
    You are backing up my 19th post
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Glad I own still about 140ml of this juice (brown leaf bottles )
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

I'm glad I still have a 100ml bottle , but I am looking to buy more if it , I love it

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

I feel like I missed out on trying this.

I've heard it described as similar to Trussardi Uomo. Which is better? That one smells amazing on other people. For me, the top notes are rich, dry down is some dry, awfulness on my skin. At the very tail end it smells good though.

Is there anything similar in style to VC&A Pour Homme? Is it better than Tsar?

the descriptions of it are so crazy. "Gothic," "flowers/dead flowers," "rich/money," etc etc.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Which is better?
    For me, the VC&A by far.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

This is a solid fragrance I wore it a few times and it’s very nice. I had a bottle or two in my beginning stages of this hobby had I known it was to be discontinued I would have bought tons when it was $30 a bottle. At current prices forget it, a shame they discontinued it but I wouldn’t go out of my way to pay the ridiculous prices asked for it now.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I feel like I missed out on trying this.

I've heard it described as similar to Trussardi Uomo. Which is better? That one smells amazing on other people. For me, the top notes are rich, dry down is some dry, awfulness on my skin. At the very tail end it smells good though.

Is there anything similar in style to VC&A Pour Homme? Is it better than Tsar?

the descriptions of it are so crazy. "Gothic," "flowers/dead flowers," "rich/money," etc etc.
    You missed out on a strange but good hybrid of soapy 70's masculine (orris) and dry rose leather chypre. The opening reminds you briefly of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme then the Turkish rose comes in rather than lavender. The base is like Bogart Signature with a brown shoe leather note, and oakmoss to round it out. Dark? Yes. Gothic? Maybe, if you thought Salvador Dali Pour Homme was. Dead flowers? Naw. That's more like Zino Davidoff to me. Passionate people love to wax poetic about what they love. Can't blame them. This one does smell niche by modern standards, which can inform the "rich/money" opinion somewhat.

Is it worth the average of $150 it sells for now? Maaaaaaybe but I wouldn't blind buy it. Smells nothing like Tsar at all.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Better than Trussardi Uomo and soapy/leather chypre? Opening like Paco PH? I did miss out.
    But not too much. I can't really pull off retro scents. I still enjoy them on my own time though.

Is there anything else currently available that occupies the same lane as VC&A Pour Homme? From back in the day and preferably on the cheaper side?

That's crazy that Trussardi Uomo, Leonard Pour Homme and VC&A Pour Homme are similar to each other and now all three are discontinued. That style must be really unpopular these days.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Better than Trussardi Uomo and soapy/leather chypre? Opening like Paco PH? I did miss out.
    But not too much. I can't really pull off retro scents. I still enjoy them on my own time though.

Is there anything else currently available that occupies the same lane as VC&A Pour Homme? From back in the day and preferably on the cheaper side?

That's crazy that Trussardi Uomo, Leonard Pour Homme and VC&A Pour Homme are similar to each other and now all three are discontinued. That style must be really unpopular these days.
    It's more like that style is totally dead because IFRA makes it too hard to pull off and most modern men prefer sweet fragrances (and have for 20 years). Salvador Dali Pour Homme (1987) is similar on the floral elements and "darkness" but that kind of dry brown leather note is extinct beyond Bogart Signature or Clubman Pinaud Special Reserve.