Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Jean Patou's 'Cocktail Bar de Parfums' -- prepare to swoon

While searching for information about a particular vintage Patou scent recently, I came across this staggering article on a "Cocktail Bar" of parfums that Patou produced in the 1920s-30s. It gave you 3 different bases (dry, sweet, bittersweet) and an assortment of ingredients for you to mix in a "shaker" and create your personalized favorites.

It came in three different sizes, and it fairly took my breath away.

Read all about it and see many more photos and vintage press clippings here on Perfume Fetish:

https://jeanpatouperfumes.blogspot.c...tou-c1931.html

Harper's Bazaar, 1930:
    "CONSIDER YOUR PERFUME It is the Medium through which Madame Expresses her Individuality. "It is not enough that the smart woman of today shall be well dressed, I well coiffed, and well shod," says Jean Patou. "It is quite as important that she shall be well perfumed, though this may require a great effort and great research." To promote such an ultra-modern idea, this great fashion authority has devised a perfume bar, where the chic woman could have her scent mixed. The component parts required for this infusion are four major perfumes which he calls cocktails, and seven minor scents which correspond to angosturas. These perfectly delightful ingredients can be mixed in different proportions to suit the individuality and taste of the woman.."In an effort to obtain a fragrance expressive of their own personalities," declares Monsieur Patou, "there has been a vogue recently among women of fashion for making their own..." Here are the ingredients for blending your scent like a cocktail, to express your type or to fit the occasion. Above, are the four major scents: Dry, Sweet, Bitter Sweet, My Own."

Huge thanks to Perfume Fetish for assembling this little digital museum online!

Default Re: Jean Patou's 'Cocktail Bar de Parfums' -- prepare to swoon

That really looks fantastic! And what a ”modern” idea. I wonder how much the cost was in current currency...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    That really looks fantastic! And what a ”modern” idea. I wonder how much the cost was in current currency...
    The only ad that mentions a price is for the "Baby Bar", which contained only the 3 bases, at $30 in 1931 -- which would translate as $480 USD today.

So, guessing maybe $120 or so for the "Grande Bar"? Which would be about $2,000 USD today. Just guesses, of course.

Wow! Thanks for this. I am shaken. And stirred.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Endymion by Penhaligon's

Thanks for the eye candy. Gorgeous indeed. I suspect that the bases might have been something like a true chypre and a fougere...

cacio

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Armani is almost 100 years late to this party it seems.
    oh look, I have a signature

Wow! That's a fabulous thing. Just read the full post which I had somehow missed before. Thanks for calling attention to it, Cook.bot. PerfumeFetish's research is always illuminating, and her Patou blog is one of her best.

In another current thread, I found a similar mixer set...a big downgrade in terms of materials and presentation (no "faux Loupe d'Amboine" Bakelite and Baccarat crystal here)...but the overall intention remains... "mix your own perfume." And quite accessible to all at Costco.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/464...ing-Collection

Meanwhile, I find I have very little interest in mixing my own perfumes. I've dabbled but I want to buy into the whole concept and history of a perfume. I'll take that Patou Cocktail Bar though.
    Currently wearing: Muse by Coty

Always be smelling

Amazing find cookbot.
    What was most surprising to me was the font they used. Looks very modern as does the box and the presentation.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Armani is almost 100 years late to this party it seems.
    Seriously...goes for the personization/authenticity trend broadly. That quote from the Harper's article is particularly interesting.

"In an effort to obtain a fragrance expressive of their own personalities," declares Monsieur Patou, "there has been a vogue recently among women of fashion for making their own..."
    They have a description of the notes of the original "Cocktail" fragrance, but I wonder what the base accords for Dry, Bitter Sweet, and Sweet were composed of. And the Angosturas.

Agreed with all on the stunning presentation.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

What an interesting find. Thanks for sharing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I wonder what the base accords for Dry, Bitter Sweet, and Sweet were composed of.
    Wouldn't you think they would be a basic chypre, a fougere, and ... what for the Sweet? Maybe an ambery oriental?

Basenotes Plus

Currently wearing: Fille d'Eve by Nina Ricci