Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Quick notes on some "designer" (& "niche") fragrances I tried today .....

I tried these at the mall today over a couple of hours; some of these I tried for the first time. Please note these are quick impressions.

Chanel 1957 - interesting fresh fragrance with depth; better than Boy.

Eau Premiere EdP - this is smoother than the Eau Premiere I had tried years ago. A smooth take on No 5.

Narciso Rodriguez Bleu Noir - This is very similar to Declaration, with a marginal fresh woody amber twist (mercifully dialed in); elegant and balanced. Nice.

Narciso Rodriguez Bleu Noir Parfum - Same as the above, slightly less fresh; redundant.

Un Jardin Sur La Lagune - cheap shampoo smelling; terrible.

Bottega Veneta pour Homme - nice aromatic with fir balsam and cypress; hints of leather

Bottega Veneta pour Homme Extreme - leather amped up, so is the fir balsam. I get a rubbery note, which I like. Very interesting, sort of a conceptual flanker of Fahrenheit.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Vaniglia - A sick vanilla joke; Leather is still the best flanker. Ambra didn't smell that bad.

Feminite du Bois - Plum Japonais is very similar to this. I wonder how they diverge in the dry down.

Eau de Cartier Concentree - better than Eau de Cartier which is too airy/ozonic. Discernible notes of orange. Probably a notch or two below Acqua di Parma Colonia / Assoluta / Intensa, but could be a good budget citrus for summer.

Un Jardin Apres La Mousson - Spicy aromatic, different from rest of the line which are fresher; vibe vaguely similar to Eau d'Hermes, Epice Marine et al. seems underrated IMO.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him EdP - This is muskier, sweeter than the original, and has less of the violet leaf note. This is more of a 'straightforward' musk fragrance but with depth, sort of a flanker of Kiehl's Musk. The original is more unique because of how musk interplays with violet leaf. Both are nice.

Narciso Rouge - Pretty substandard and ubiquitous sweet floral with plasticky iris, quite a bit of a letdown compared to most others from NR.

There are a few others I tried, but not worth mentioning (mediocre / substandard, neither good or better nor godawful).
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Quick notes on some "designer" (& "niche") fragrances I tried today .....

Thanks for sharing these impressions

1957 is something I want to try.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Default Re: Quick notes on some "designer" (& "niche") fragrances I tried today .....

I like Un Jardin Apres la Mousson too.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Thank you for posting.

Can especially relate to the descriptions of Eau Premiere EDP, Bleu Noir, Femininte du Bois, Eau de Cartier Concentree and Narciso for Him EDP, spot on, very detailed and capturing many basic points as to how and why these scents remain solidly good choices.
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

A whole list of scents I have never tried - and some of which I have never even heard of. Thanks for sharing your impressions - it sounds like most of them are a pass for you, and should be for me as well.
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    A whole list of scents I have never tried - and some of which I have never even heard of. Thanks for sharing your impressions - it sounds like most of them are a pass for you, and should be for me as well.
    Thanks for your comment; I'd suggest you both the Bottega Venetas (pour Homme & Extreme) in case you haven't tried those. (Sleek, modern, understated, refined, no harshness). Not sure if you'd be interested in any of the others.

I do think Feminite du Bois is quite wonderful, I've been debating between it and Plum Japonais for several months now. I actually quite liked the NR line, as well as the Bottega Veneta pour Homme Extreme (the original is too subtle for my tastes). I might sometime get Un Jardin Apres La Mousson but Eau de Cartier Concentree might be redundant for me.

I didn't type any note on the ghastly ones I tried; Paco Rabanne Pure XS, for example.

Of course, the risk is it could be that some/many of these take a turn for the worse in the dry down (but the Bottega Venetas don't, previously I had tried both on my wrists on another day).

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I like Un Jardin Apres la Mousson too.
    I generally like the line a lot, except for Monsieur Li and Sur La Lagune.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Thanks for sharing these impressions

I revisited Philosykos EdP and EdT, I think the EdT is livelier, more upbeat. I think I slightly prefer the EdT to the EdP.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Dependent

Nice list, I haven't tried most of them, with exception of the Narciso Rodriguez line, which I've owned and still own one.

Thanks for this 😃
    Need to get my sniffer on Botegga V Extreme. Original I tried a while ago and liked and as youve described. However more recent experience, again like you state withered quickly. The extra dose of leather sounds top!
    Currently wearing: Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post

Happen to like this one more than I thought I would.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.