Code of Conduct

Default The Cerruti 1881 Line - Pretty Good

Cerruti’s 1881 pour Homme is a well-made inexpensive classic and has been followed by many flankers. It seems that the flankers have nothing to do with the original but the ones I’ve tried are pretty good - especially because they are generally inexpensive (often around $20) and do not smell synthetic (to me). Here some brief thoughts on some:

Cerruti 1881 (perfumer Martin Gras)
    I really like this, the original. A fougere with honeyed musk aspects, it is similar in some ways to a lighter Paco Rabanne pour Homme and Kouros Cologne Sport. A classic!

Cerruti 1881 Essentiel (perfumer Sonia Constant)
    A rather unique and very green springtime scent. Green like the stems of flowers and grass. Reminds me of Trefle Pur from Ateliers Cologne.

Cerruti 1881 Bella Notte (perfumer Olivier Cresp)
    A warm and sensual slightly spicy but soft oriental. I just discovered this and was very impressed (especially for the price!)

Cerruti 1881 Fraicheur d’Eau (perfumer Frank Voelkl)
    A discontinued limited release, smooth citrus and fresh light green acquatic. Very nice.

Cerruti 1881 Black (perfumer Michel Girard)
    A woody lavender spicy fragrance that is also supposed to have a noticeable marzipan aspect but that seems to have recently changed in reformulation. I smelled this recently and did not piick up any almond or marzipan.

Others that I have not yet tried:

Cerruti 1881 Signature
    Cerruti 1881 Intense
    Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche
    Cerruti 1881 Riviera

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Cerruti 1881 Line - Pretty Good

Great summaries, keep them coming
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Happen to love this line and all the flankers that have been spawned from the original and yes, well priced also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutronc View Post
    Cerruti’s 1881 pour Homme is a well-made inexpensive classic and has been followed by many flankers. It seems that the flankers have nothing to do with the original but the ones I’ve tried are pretty good - especially because they are generally inexpensive (often around $20) and do not smell synthetic (to me). Here some brief thoughts on some:

I really like this, the original. A fougere with honeyed musk aspects, it is similar in some ways to a lighter Paco Rabanne pour Homme and Kouros Cologne Sport. A classic!

A rather unique and very green springtime scent. Green like the stems of flowers and grass. Reminds me of Trefle Pur from Ateliers Cologne.

A warm and sensual slightly spicy but soft oriental. I just discovered this and was very impressed (especially for the price!)

A discontinued limited release, smooth citrus and fresh light green acquatic. Very nice.

A woody lavender spicy fragrance that is also supposed to have a noticeable marzipan aspect but that seems to have recently changed in reformulation. I smelled this recently and did not piick up any almond or marzipan.

Cerruti 1881 Signature
    Cerruti 1881 Intense
    Cerruti 1881 Riviera
    You forgot the Sport version

I do love Signature a lot, it smells as a leathery version of La Nuit de L'Homme. So intoxicating!
    The Sport seems to be the worst of the line, smelling as an Invictus clone.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

+ Amber
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Can fully relate to this post, already liking and owning the Amber and the Edition Blanche version, also highly predisposed to own the regular 1881 as well at some point in near future, have also had so far good to great experiences with most if not even all of the other 1881 flankers as well
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Yes, I read claims about 1881 Black's reformulation, but fortunately I already had ST Dupont's Noir, which has the hazelnut instead of marzipan, and eventually is gourmand, so I decided not to chase after vintage Black.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

So far I just have the original! Thanks for the feedback on the flankers!
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes, I read claims about 1881 Black's reformulation, but fortunately I already had ST Dupont's Noir, which has the hazelnut instead of marzipan, and eventually is gourmand, so I decided not to chase after vintage Black.

I’ve only tried some of the flankers so far. Do you like Edition Blanche? The few reviews on it that I’ve seen are mixed.

Whoops, I meant to quote Ken Russel above who says “Can fully relate to this post, already liking and owning the Amber and the Edition Blanche version”.

Thanks for that!
    I've eyed up some flankers and will likely pick up at some point - the concise summaries help much!!
    My only detraction would be that it Original, now smells similar to so many icy green deodrants - or possibly its more a compliment that so many deodrant type products have imitated Cerrut! Only have the original - bought it for a no nonsense green fougere , its iconic status (was popular when I was in 'high school'!) and that bottle.... Loooove the ice cool bottle.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Cerruti 1881 Signature
    Cerruti 1881 Intense
    Cerruti 1881 Riviera
    Cerruti 1881 Essentiel sounds fantastic. Can't see it for sale in the US though, for a good low price.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

The flankers that I have tried so far have all been good but the one that really surprised me was Bella Notte. A 125 ml bottle sitting on the shelf at a drugstore chain for 17 Euros; I did not expect much. When I sprayed the tester I went “wow!!” and bought it on the spot. I haven’t worn it yet so I haven’t experienced its development or performance, but it was a clear buy for me.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I haven’t worn it yet so I haven’t experienced its development or performance, but it was a clear buy for me.
    You're really going to like this one once you wear it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.