Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Montblanc Explorer...like Aventus or like Sauvage?

Hi, I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a bottle of Montblanc Explorer as I've always felt a little unsure of the Arabic clone houses regarding ingredients, quality etc. Perhaps unfairly?
    Anyhow, Explorer (allegedly) gives me that Aventus vibe whilst still remaining safely within the mainstream designer world.
    However, some reviews or components online have claimed it smells like Aventus only in the mid but smells like Dior Sauvage Eau de Parfum in the dry down, due to the Ambroxin?
    Now I already have a nearly full bottle of Sauvage and so do not need or want another frag that smells just like it.
    So the question is simple, will I get the Aventus vibe or the Sauvage vibe?
    Other questions are would I get a better Aventus vibe from Supremacy Silver Afnan Perfumes which is also an edp and apparently shares the exact same notes as Aventus?
    Of course I don't want this to become another Aventus clone thread but I just want to make the right choice.
    Other options are Vibrant Leather Eau de Parfum Zara although I hear it's performance sucks?
    Then there is Club de Nuit Intense Man Armaf but I hear it's opening sucks and it's similarity to Aventus is fleeting?
    I appreciate I won't get Aventus without buying Aventus but I do love the smell and just want the closest thing to it, that has decent performance without breaking the bank.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sloth.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Montblanc Explorer...like Aventus or like Sauvage?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    The answer is simple also. You should try it yourself in store if possible where you are located and judge for yourself before buying a bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

If I were you, I’d put my money towards a bottle of Creed Aventus because you know you want Creed Aventus. That is what I’m getting from your post.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Hi, I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a bottle of Montblanc Explorer as I've always felt a little unsure of the Arabic clone houses regarding ingredients, quality etc. Perhaps unfairly?
    Anyhow, Explorer (allegedly) gives me that Aventus vibe whilst still remaining safely within the mainstream designer world.
    However, some reviews or components online have claimed it smells like Aventus only in the mid but smells like Dior Sauvage Eau de Parfum in the dry down, due to the Ambroxin?
    Now I already have a nearly full bottle of Sauvage and so do not need or want another frag that smells just like it.
    Other questions are would I get a better Aventus vibe from Supremacy Silver Afnan Perfumes which is also an edp and apparently shares the exact same notes as Aventus?
    Of course I don't want this to become another Aventus clone thread but I just want to make the right choice.
    Other options are Vibrant Leather Eau de Parfum Zara although I hear it's performance sucks?
    Then there is Club de Nuit Intense Man Armaf but I hear it's opening sucks and it's similarity to Aventus is fleeting?
    I appreciate I won't get Aventus without buying Aventus but I do love the smell and just want the closest thing to it, that has decent performance without breaking the bank.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sloth.
    I do not get any of Sauvage in Explorer. Explorer is an Aventus clone, and I highly recommend it. It is better in terms of quality than Vibrant Leather and closer to Aventus.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

I personally do not get any parallels with Sauvage. From start to finish this is a replica of Aventus, to my nose, with only slight discernible differences. It doesn't have the powerhouse sillage or longevity of Creed, but, it is definitely a good alternative if you do not have or don't want to spend Creed money. If your concerns are that it will be too similar to Sauvage I would say you can safely purchase it, the differences are significant enough that owning both is justified.

Explorer is the best designer aventus clone on the market. No harsh top notes at all.

Much closer to Terenzi's Orion than to Aventus, though resamblance to the latter is clear. Very little in common with the Dior, at least to my nose.

More Aventus in terms of how it smells. I don't get much of a Sauvage connection. There's a definite Aventus influence though.

It's a good scent. Worth owning, imo.
    I'm currently selling bottles of the rare cult classic--Keith Urban Phoenix. Send me a private message if you're interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Darealvelle View Post
    Explorer is the best designer aventus clone on the market. No harsh top notes at all.
    This wasn't my experience.

I'm not an Aventus devotee, but I do think it's a pleasant, well-made fragrance right from the outset, but the opening of Montblanc Explorer hit me as being an awful mess and I had to scrub Explorer off my skin after twenty minutes or so or risk a headache. (The testimonials of some Basenoters suggest that Explorer's best moments come later on in its lifespan, and I believe them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    the opening of Montblanc Explorer hit me as being an awful mess
    That's similar to how my wife felt about it. I'll probably give it another go in the future.

I plan to buy it once it gets discounted, very nice fragrance in the designer line. It will be interesting where it brings all the designers to with it’s success the possibilities of the houses branching out are possible.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I have a curious question on this: how does it compare to Morning Chess?

I haven't tried Aventus in a long time (went through a couple of samples circa 2012/13).
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I have a curious question on this: how does it compare to Morning Chess?

I haven't tried Aventus in a long time (went through a couple of samples circa 2012/13).
    On my skin Morning Chess is very close to Aventus as well as Explorer.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by Darealvelle View Post
    Agreed.
    I'm currently selling bottles of the rare cult classic--Keith Urban Phoenix. Send me a private message if you're interested!

Thanks for the replies so far guys, much appreciated.
    I was primarily worried that I'd end up with something too similar to Sauvage but you have so far reassured me that this is not the case.
    I appreciate that I could put the cash towards the real Aventus but firstly I don't feel I could justify putting further funds aside as I'm at the start of redecorating and modernising my house so all funds are currently being diverted to that for the next year or so (we have big plans).
    Secondly, I'd like to try wearing something very close for a while in order to know if the vibe and fragrance is something of a long term love or a short term itch to scratch.
    I'd hate to blow £240 gbp only to find I was bored of It after a few weeks or months.

Has anyone tried Explorer AND Adnan Supremacy Silver or one of the other closeness to comment if Explorer is better than them in smell and/performance?

What are your experiences on Explorers performance?

Sauvage and Aventus are nothing alike to me. Explorer and Sauvage are nothing alike. Explorer is completely mediocre (above average attempt at Aventus) where Sauvage smells like a chemical mess to me. Not sure what they were going for with that one.

Pretty good. I washed it off before it was done with me both times I have worn it so far.
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Very good performance on my skin.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi, well this is my take on the Montblanc, which I think is really good.
    Explorer lasts on clothes for a whole day and even more. My car smells of its drydown in the morning, because I've been testing it for a week or two. It is noticeable on my skin for, well, 6 to 8 hours; and it projects nicely in the first half of the day (or so). It is well-behaved, overtly masculine, quite strong but not loud at all.
    I almost made a 180-turn on Sauvage, because I first thought it was boring - now I'm still thinking it's boring, but also pretty well done. The EdT Sauvage makes for a nice everyday scent.
    In my opinion it has very little in common with Explorer, other than being peppery, woody and somehow fresh.
    I think there's much more going on in Explorer. The drydown feels more comfortable, more complicated and rounded up: I'd describe Explorer as a dry vetiver, ambroxan-patchtouli, slightly cocoa smell. The opening feels by far less one-dimensionally citrus than the one of Sauvage: I'm getting peppery accents besides the fruit, and something a bit like faint violet leaf. There also is a vetiver'ish, grassy tone and a bit of a Iso-E-super pencil-shavings smell, not unlike Terre d'Hermes Parfum in the top to mid. I can't remember the Creed, but I'm thinking of Explorer as a surprisingly well done masculine workhorse.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Explorer feels like "Aventus Sport" in my opinion.

It has no pineapple, no vanilla, no birch tar, none of the "heavier" elements that give Aventus it's richness. Instead, it ups the bergamot, slides in vetiver to replace birch, and puts a very slight dry woods/leather note in place of the vanilla. Both scents have a very well-mannered ambergris vibe from ambroxide captives, but the Explorer is sharper and drier.

In short, Aventus wears a three-piece suit, while Explorer wears jeans and a jacket, so it's effectively a more "casual" tone of the same basic olfactive structure.

I own both, and I'll be using Explorer 10 to 1 over Aventus since the latter feels more appropriate for a night out, and I have much less of those than I do work days!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

like itself for me

Secondly, I'd like to try wearing something very close for a while in order to know if the vibe and fragrance is something of a long term love or a short term itch to scratch.
    I'd hate to blow £240 gbp only to find I was bored of It after a few weeks or months.
    Buy 10-30ml decant - that will not break a bank and will scratch that itch for Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Buy 10-30ml decant - that will not break a bank and will scratch that itch for Aventus
    Hmmm, a decant is an option I suppose.
    So how much would a 50ml Aventus decant cost me?

I could Google I suppose but I'd be wary of not getting the real thing or a watered down decant?
    Where can i get one and know I can trust the vendor?

I could Google I suppose but I'd be wary of not getting the real thing or a watered down decant?
    Check split boards here for a reputable seller withing UK - I've seen plenty of them. I guess 50ml will go for around 80-100 EUR

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Waiting on this to hit the discounters and/or eBay.
    In the US you may be waiting a little bit for the discounters as I had a conversation with a Macy's SA a few weeks back, she said Macy's held the exclusive rights to sell it for the first 6 months.

Maybe you can catch a good deal on eBay or if you run across someone selling here on the marketplace.

I tried ME today for the first time whilst wearing Cedrat Boise. It smelled exactly like CB, only lighter and less sweet. I do find CB a little too strong and sweet at times (I cannot wear CB on hot days) so a lighter version would be welcome but the opening blast of alcohol put me off. Not worth the retail price, imo.

Freed from BN Institution

I did get some similarities to Aventus although I personally didn't care for either fragrance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Thanks for the head's up. I'll have to wait for one of those Macy's 20% off coupons!

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    In the US you may be waiting a little bit for the discounters as I had a conversation with a Macy's SA a few weeks back, she said Macy's held the exclusive rights to sell it for the first 6 months.

Maybe you can catch a good deal on eBay or if you run across someone selling here on the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    If I were you, I’d put my money towards a bottle of Creed Aventus because you know you want Creed Aventus. That is what I’m getting from your post.
    This.

I find that, particularly with luxury purchases, when I go with a second choice instead of what I really want, I always end up later buying what I really wanted in the first place. I'm never satisfied with a second choice.

Have a look at the spilts thread linked in @Palmolive signature.