Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default impressions on trio of unreleased TOP DOG Imperial Oud oils

i was looking eagerly forward to these. they did not dissapoint. here is my take:

nha Trang ultima, a 2011 distillation
    it is a very nice, clean, true to general Vietnam character, pleasant and super wearable. but it ends there for me. the true old growth nha trang i know in wood form, this is not. a great minty bittersweet note. clean. squeaky clean yet devoid of the real oudy oud oomph. one can say Gen 4 like and like many of taha's upper mid tier oils. The aging of the oil has greatly helped it and those super young volatile cantaloupe and fruity openings notes are all but gone. Well done! other respected noses have loved this more than i have. i likely would have loved it even more if it wasnt for my exposure to the best of nha trang wood, incense and oil.

Edited for typo

cambodi enigma a new few months old distillation
    it is legit. not my thing (i dont seem to ever fall in love with a cambodi) but mad respect to them to churn out a vintage, old days gone by Cambodi oil here. it is not like the tutti fruiti pretty things coming out these days from plantation or young wood.

hainan ultima a 2016 distillation
    take a seat everyone. you are in the presence of greatness here. hainan ultima is a knock out. it is indeed a legit oil. it is devoid of the oriscent signature to my nose (the comparison has been brought up by some respected noses) but i can totally see the similarity and comparison. well done. the first 2 hours have been a fun, intellectual and stimulating ride. 10 minutes after application, this oil has the very core of ensar’s hainan 05 (that pheromonal, musky, feral note that is very addictive, tenacious and clings to your sinuses) but in a much more nuanced way. personally, I even prefer this. i love hainan 05 for studying but it is too bold for me to wear and bask in its glory. 20 minutes after application there is more than a suggestion of kinam rouge note here. that red laced tobacco, mineral, bittersweet note. Achieving the heart of the sinesis note minus peanuts and baby corn note is no easy feet. Ditto the lack of bitter root veg, damp soil and that overt boozy note. oud lovers of all walks but sinesis or vietnam/old school cambodi/chinese lovers must take a look at this oil for themselves. highly recommended. shah jahan may still be slightly edging over this oil for me as the best IO oil to date, but thats just subjective to me. objectively speaking this oil is far superior.
    Last edited by Rasoul salehi; 28th April 2019 at 07:39 PM.

Default Re: impressions on trio of unreleased TOP DOG Imperial Oud oils

Quote Originally Posted by Rasoul salehi View Post
    i was looking eagerly forward to these. they did not dissapoint. here is my take:

nha Trang ultima, a 2011 distillation
    it is a very nice, clean, true to general Vietnam character, pleasant and super wearable. but it ends there for me. the true old growth nha trang i know in wood form, this is not. a great minty bittersweet note. clean. squeaky clean yet devoid of the real oudy oud oomph. one can say Gen 4 like and like many of taha's upper mid tier oils. The aging of the oil has greatly helped it and those super young volatile cantaloupe and fruity openings notes are all but gone. Well done! other respected noses have loved this more than i have. i likely would have loved it even more if it wasnt for my exposure to the best of nha trang wood, incense and oil.

Edited for typo

cambodi enigma a new few months old distillation
    it is legit. not my thing (i dont seem to ever fall in love with a cambodi) but mad respect to them to churn out a vintage, old days gone by Cambodi oil here. it is not like the tutti fruiti pretty things coming out these days from plantation or young wood.

hainan ultima a 2016 distillation
    take a seat everyone. you are in the presence of greatness here. hainan ultima is a knock out. it is indeed a legit oil. it is devoid of the oriscent signature to my nose (the comparison has been brought up by some respected noses) but i can totally see the similarity and comparison. well done. the first 2 hours have been a fun, intellectual and stimulating ride. 10 minutes after application, this oil has the very core of ensar’s hainan 05 (that pheromonal, musky, feral note that is very addictive, tenacious and clings to your sinuses) but in a much more nuanced way. personally, I even prefer this. i love hainan 05 for studying but it is too bold for me to wear and bask in its glory. 20 minutes after application there is more than a suggestion of kinam rouge note here. that red laced tobacco, mineral, bittersweet note. Achieving the heart of the sinesis note minus peanuts and baby corn note is no easy feet. Ditto the lack of bitter root veg, damp soil and that overt boozy note. oud lovers of all walks but sinesis or vietnam/old school cambodi/chinese lovers must take a look at this oil for themselves. highly recommended. shah jahan may still be slightly edging over this oil for me as the best IO oil to date, but thats just subjective to me. objectively speaking this oil is far superior.
    Might want to check if the vendor supplying the oils are the same for both.

Basenotes Member

how can i or you or anyone truly verify that? sticking to what is in front of me: my nose tells me no and my brain tells me no too. why would the taiwanese guy shake the boat with a loooooooong standing partner and jeoperdize the relationsip with ensar? possibly, maybe, the guy is the same but the setup is different. the oriscent signature is very unique and "same across the board regardless fo wood origin. much like the co-distill Sultan oils. you can pick em out a mile, heck, 2 miles away.

my 2 cents.

Basenotes Member

Is it necessary the distiller supplier is/ must be the same for both EO and IO? I don't think so. Even if the person is the same, it makes no harm at all for the both brands. Quality of oils is to be determined by the wearer. Respected Rasoul's 2 cents clearly shows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasoul salehi View Post
    how can i or you or anyone truly verify that? sticking to what is in front of me: my nose tells me no and my brain tells me no too. why would the taiwanese guy shake the boat with a loooooooong standing partner and jeoperdize the relationsip with ensar? possibly, maybe, the guy is the same but the setup is different. the oriscent signature is very unique and "same across the board regardless fo wood origin. much like the co-distill Sultan oils. you can pick em out a mile, heck, 2 miles away.

my 2 cents.
    As you said, neither you know nor do I. Given all the similarities that are going around in the market, it wouldn’t be surprising if the vendor is one but the tricks are different.

Quote Originally Posted by kooolaid View Post
    As you said, neither you know nor do I. Given all the similarities that are going around in the market, it wouldn’t be surprising if the vendor is one but the tricks are different.
    I smelled the Oriscent connection right away in both oils. It could be that the distiller was trained in a similar style. It’s a moot point regardless and does not diminish my enjoyment of the oils, which speak for themselves. I am now keenly interested in oils distilled for Traditional Chinese Medicine use.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I smelled the Oriscent connection right away in both oils. It could be that the distiller was trained in a similar style. It’s a moot point regardless and does not diminish my enjoyment of the oils, which speak for themselves. I am now keenly interested in oils distilled for Traditional Chinese Medicine use.
    Word. And me too. Love both.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Munir View Post
    Is it necessary the distiller supplier is/ must be the same for both EO and IO? I don't think so. Even if the person is the same, it makes no harm at all for the both brands. Quality of oils is to be determined by the wearer. Respected Rasoul's 2 cents clearly shows it.

Not necessary at all. I just doubt it. Not that it matters to us, wearers.