Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default list of oils that have taken my breath away

hi all

i know we each have a different agenda when approaching oud. for some it is a scent like most other perfumes. for some is all about silage. for some is all about horizantal or vertical complexity or both. some use it purely for medidation. for me is a combo of the above but mostly for medidation. an oil need to have horizantal and vertical compelxity but also that mind numbing quality. that buzz. that quality that other aromatics, regardless of how rare, dont really ever have.

here is a list of some oils that recently have totally taken my breath away and fit the above criteria:

Agar Aura:

malaya. a top flight central malay (not sure of actual origin but the scent is that of central malay to me). it combines the cola nut and sprite ntoes in ayu and marries it witht he purple narcotic floral and head buzzing qualities of purple kinam. bad ass oil.

royal maluku seram. orris butter and iris absoltue are everywhere. the opening is still a bit too sharp and volatile but it settles into absoltue beauty. less vertical compelxity but off the charts in the buzz and sheer beauty department.

nashila. a colourful, relaxed, smooth, round, sweet, complex as hell assamese. zero funk or barn. just a peacock tail oil. no real buzz but its grounding and comforting qualities is almsot as addictive.

Imperial oud:
    hainan ultima. see other post for full review. checks all the boxes of buzz, vertical and horizantal complexity and then some.

shah jahan:
    one of the top 3 hindis with often time being the no 1 for me. beguiling aromatics. sunshine hitting preciosu metals captured in a bottle. cant put the notes to word. plenty of buzz and horizantal complexity. no real changes as the oil sits on skin but with a note so beautiful, who wants it to morph in and out and change. i am happy to have it stay preserved for ever.

ensar oud:

pinoy ltd.
    a settled and regal philipino. show stopper not for its dazzling qualiteis adn glitz but for how mature and well put together it is. that oriscent signature makes this oil even more beautiful

kyara ketone.
    while it is a walla oil, it is very difficult to see what we have come to associate with walla. this oil is more like a fraction of the ntoe that runs thru all kyara named oriscent oils. a scent that is so addictive and desirable that i wish i could have it on me 24/7.

sultan salahudin
    entry level sultan oil relatively speaking but one that is almsot every bit as good as ones 3, 4 time the price. absolute beauty packed with both types of complexity and a solid buzz.

sultan suleyman, mustafa, beyazit all 3 are holly grail list of sultans. a unique signature not to be found anywhere else and immediately recognizable as enars.

royal guallam
    narcotic, heady, intoxicating. hard to even put the scent to words. not much change or complexity but wow wow wow what an elixir. nectar of gods.

al shareef oud:
    al rubaie. soooooo many facets to this oil. even has some buzz. not as much but tons and tons tons of stuff going on at any given time. an ever shape shifting oil. happy i pciked up some more recently. this is original batch. havent tried batch 2.

Basenotes Member

Default Re: list of oils that have taken my breath away

Thumb up, dear Rasoul. I love reading you.

What about Nashila and Shah Jahan? Your take would definitely be very important to study and enjoy both the top class oils.

I prefer Nashila over Shah Jahan, and prefer Shah Jahan over Hindustan 1. Did you notice, Nashila is the oil whose dry-down is unique. Otherwise, in the end, all oils, $1500 to $ 150, turn to be the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Rasoul, you mentioned majority of new oils :-(, especially released by A Aura and IO.

Would you please share your views about presence of 'cola note' in AA's Malay, and its strength keeping in view Tigerwood 95 and Tigerwood Royale?

Where to find those oils online?

Hi Jessica, these are yet unreleased. We have others on our website but if you want more info please send us an email or pm me on this
    www.imperialOud.com the home of pure Oud in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Munir View Post
    Thumb up, dear Rasoul. I love reading you.

What about Nashila and Shah Jahan? Your take would definitely be very important to study and enjoy both the top class oils.

I prefer Nashila over Shah Jahan, and prefer Shah Jahan over Hindustan 1. Did you notice, Nashila is the oil whose dry-down is unique. Otherwise, in the end, all oils, $1500 to $ 150, turn to be the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Rasoul, you mentioned majority of new oils :-(, especially released by A Aura and IO.

Would you please share your views about presence of 'cola note' in AA's Malay, and its strength keeping in view Tigerwood 95 and Tigerwood Royale?
    Dear brother Rai,

That cola note in AA Malay is beyond the beyond...Tigerwood 95 and the Royale version though excellent Malays are almost entirely different.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Dear brother Rai,

That cola note in AA Malay is beyond the beyond...Tigerwood 95 and the Royale version though excellent Malays are almost entirely different.
    Thank you very much, respected brother Taz.

Well, I got from your post that this AA's Malay is a sort of trip to new island of of Malay. Something different from bland cola note. No doubt, Taha's oils do offer something new and stunning, especially in the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Munir View Post
    Thank you very much, respected brother Taz.

Well, I got from your post that this AA's Malay is a sort of trip to new island of of Malay. Something different from bland cola note. No doubt, Taha's oils do offer something new and stunning, especially in the opening.
    Yes it has a spicy herbal kick to it. The Tigerwoods are quite tamed in that regard.

Thanks

Basenotes Member

here is how i see these malay oils:

TW95: antique and camphor. i dont get ANY cola note
    TWR: minimal camphor, older smelling yet, mahagony, pipe tobacco, halletosis and well aged musk. again ZERO cola note.
    Purple Kinam: minimal cola note, mostly purple flower psychedelic
    AA Malaya: after AYU the msot concnetrated cola note and after PK the most "purple" malay
    AA Hulubalang: cola note is there but less than malaya but not much. at the moment it doesn have that oudy base and oomph of malaya otherwise pretty spices and vibrancy
    AA royal jirai: zesty, acidic red fruits liek strawberry, some cola note but no where near hulubalang which itself is less than malaya and ayu. intriguing oil, but doesnt have the base i expected. that oudy marrow. i have seen this note developing as the oil ages with AA oils. my intuition tells me this wont go to where Malaya has gone (depth wise) but i am not ready to bet on or against it yet.

imho the king is still PK by a long shot, then malaya, then TWR.

Basenotes Member

Thanks, respected Rasoul.

In fact, both EO and AA have different world view regarding Oud, in my opinion. Hence, their specific signature can be recognized from miles, especially in the oils released in last two years. One thing that I noticed, AA's oils drastically evolve with the passage of time, and become breath-taking, while EO's oils have a little room to evolve because they have gone through a proper aging process. EO never ever releases any oil without proper aging. I suppose. AA releases fresh oils, even more than fresh. So, nothing can be said about the notes in those oils as the notes evolve and devolve. Quality wise both are second to none.

I found respected Taz's comments about AA's Malay and EO's TW 95 and TWR closest to reality, in my view.