Code of Conduct

Default LuckyScent customer for years...Not anymore

I've been happily buying from LuckyScent for years with success...until recently. Now, their items are in and out of stock and they have jerked me around on my most recent order making up dates on when they think my order will ship. Complete blind shots in the dark. I had even asked before placing the order they insisted the latest my order would ship would be the 16th. It's now the 22nd and they have no clue when their shipment is coming...because they have no tracking? Are you serious??? So why give people a guaranteed ship date???

I'm absolutely done with this company. I always thought it would be cool to visit while in LA...fat chance in hell now that I would give these people my time or my money. This used to be a company that cared about customer service and quick fulfillment.

Default Re: LuckyScent customer for years...Not anymore

Wow, that experience sounds very frustrating, hate to hear it. Personally I use them a bunch and have never had a bad experience. I was planning a big order soon, hopefully I don’t run into problems. Hope you still find a way to get the frags and samples you want!

Ryan, do you mind telling us what you ordered? It's possible they were told by their supplier to expect to have the shipment by the date stated, but some kind of delay occurred. Perhaps their package was misdirected, or is stuck at customs? These are things to happen to me on occasion.

I know it's frustrating, but I doubt they're deliberately misleading you. It sounds like they're just as much in the dark as you are, and can't pass along any meaningful update if they weren't given the tracking information for their order.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Yes, it was from Bortnikoff. I checked in with a rep and they had said we expect it to be in on the 16th...at the latest. So I went ahead and ordered on the 16th since I assumed that was based on the package clearing customs (you expect it a day or two after in a large city w customs hub LA.) I contacted LuckyScent today and they said...well actually we never had tracking. We are still trying to get that from Bortnikoff.

My frustration is why say that it would be in within a day at the latest if there was never any tracking? Just say hey...we will refund you immediately...we screwed up we don't know when it will come in because we don't have tracking.

The way the whole thing went down could have been avoided by simply being more transparent and offering a little gratitude towards a long time customer that has spent thousands of dollars with the company.

That helps explain it. I rarely get tracking info for shipments from Bortnikoff...they just get here when they get here.

But, yes, Luckyscent should stop guessing without having actual tracking info.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

For sure, I mean I get that he and areej are very lax with tracking and customer service. But I reached out to Luckyscent before placing the order even just to make absolutely sure it would be shipping following my order and I was given a definitive date like they had known by tracking (how else would you know) that it would be.

Had they been upfront and honest about not having a clue when it would arrive I wouldn't have placed the order until I saw it was restocked on their site. It's frustrating when a company has a few hundred dollars of yours and simply go back on their word. They could have refunded me immediately and just said...hey we will let you know when it comes in we have no tracking. Sorry about that. And here's 5% off for the inconvenience or we will ship some extra Samples. Something little. But they don't care from what I gathered in my conversation with them.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    That helps explain it. I rarely get tracking info for shipments from Bortnikoff...they just get here when they get here.
    But, yes, Luckyscent should stop guessing without having actual tracking info.

I had an order for an Omnia scent from LS that took months to receive. Omnia kept giving LS ship dates and then not shipping. I emailed Franco, one of the owners, and he was very upfront about the issues. Whenever I have an issue I email him directly. I’m sorry you had such a disappointing experience. They definitely should have been clear they had no firm delivery date.

Edit: my card was not charged until they actually received and shipped the product. Did the charge actually bill to your CC? That is not normal.

Man...that must have been frustrating but like you said you weren't charged so it's more just waiting which stinks. I went through PayPal so my funds were deducted immediately. I rarely get this worked up but the whole experience just totally rubbed me the wrong way. Franco's response was basically we have no idea when it's coming in...probably tomorrow but we don't have tracking and sorry we lost you as a customer and offered no sort of hey...we really dropped the ball here...I see you have been a customer for years. Nada.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Edit: my card was not charged until they actually received and shipped the product. Did the charge actually bill to your CC? That is not normal.

That is very disappointing indeed. I can definitely understand your decision, I would feel the same.

It's all good. I was refunded after putting up a stink. No response after that even acknowledging that they did so. I really needed to come here and vent. I have supported LuckScent so much on here in the past recommending them...Adversely, I felt to share my experience here, where I have touted them for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    That is very disappointing indeed. I can definitely understand your decision, I would feel the same.

They look to have their policies and don't feel the need to go above and beyond it seems. I like them a lot but Ive never really felt valued by them when contacting customer service. Just pretty straightforward.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience with Luckyscent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I can certainly empathise with rynegne. I’ve bought quite a number of fragrances from LuckyScent over the years despite the insane shipping fees. Usually I’d wait for an awesome ‘free gift with purchase’ (value exceeding shipping fee) before sending in my order. They used to be more reliable with their fulfilment/shipping updates but not anymore of late. It might be a system issue or perhaps a change in personnel?
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Fortunately my US address is only 3 hours from their store. If I place an order for an in stock item, it ships within 48 hours and is on my porch 48 hours after that. I have never ordered from them to ship to my Canadian address ($$$). I’m guessing that’s why I’ve had no problems with them.

Residing on the other coast, I always opt for their UPS Next Day Air service and get it by 10:30Am the next day. That works well for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

This was the problem I had as well. It wasn't the actually shipment of the item I purchased...rather they couldn't fulfill the order because they didn't know when it would come in (even though they told me they did.) They used to be better. IMO...if you don't know when something will ship you proactively refund the customer...apologize and offer to let them know when the product comes back in-stock. I believe it's more of a personnel issue but who knows...that's just what I've gathered from my experience. It didn't really come off that they cared I was having a crappy experience or that they told me one thing and another was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I can certainly empathise with rynegne. I’ve bought quite a number of fragrances from LuckyScent over the years despite the insane shipping fees. Usually I’d wait for an awesome ‘free gift with purchase’ (value exceeding shipping fee) before sending in my order. They used to be more reliable with their fulfilment/shipping updates but not anymore of late. It might be a system issue or perhaps a change in personnel?

Sorry to hear about it. In my experience, their customer service has never been very good, although it's improved a little bit over the last couple of years.

In the past I used to have the same issue you're having all the time with them. They held an order for two months once, when it was supposed to ship out in 14 days. They also did stuff like send bottles that were packed poorly and got damaged in the mail and then only gave me percentages of credit for them rather than a full refund (like a Creed Selection Verte Flacon that spilled half it's liquid out and part of the cap fell off during shipping...they gave me a 25% store credit instead of a full refund). So I took a long break from them.

But recently they've been pretty good. I was able to return a couple of items a solid two months after the stated date (unopened of course), and they gave me a prompt refund. And their shipping time has generally been fast and the goods packaged well. They also refunded me the very same week I ordered something because they realized it would be longer until they actually received the item. So they've been in my good graces this past year.

Still, I know where you're coming from. At best they seem inconsistent, considering our experiences and their chronologically inverse descriptions. It's a shame there aren't really many other options in the States. Twisted Lily has moved to what is almost strictly an "artisanal" or very small-outfit stock (or they carry the very easy to find niche stuff). Osswald hasn't updated their stock or the houses they carry in quite a long time, and neither has Parfums Raffy. Luckyscent, for better or worse, is still the most diverse, fully stocked place to order from. In some ways we're sort of at their mercy.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Twisted Lily has moved to what is almost strictly an "artisanal" or very small-outfit stock (or they carry the very easy to find niche stuff). Osswald hasn't updated their stock or the houses they carry in quite a long time, and neither has Parfums Raffy. Luckyscent, for better or worse, is still the most diverse, fully stocked place to order from. In some ways we're sort of at their mercy.
    Spot on.

I recently bought from them. It was Vetiver Nocturne by Bortnikoff. Everything was OK. Delivered on time and with tracking number.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reegle View Post
    I recently bought from them. It was Vetiver Nocturne by Bortnikoff. Everything was OK. Delivered on time and with tracking number.
    In my opinion one of Botnikoff's best. Love it.

Sorry to hear this -- it's fucked up and the bullshit just makes it worse

I put the legwork in -- it's good exercise and I have got what I paid for-- but my shoulder-bag sure gets heavy sometimes

I've not had much experience with them, but in the one case I did have an issue, they promptly took care of the problem. I would even say bent over backwards to make it right. I just placed another order this week and should be arriving by the end of the week.