Code of Conduct
    Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Default Isobutyl quinoline infused modern perfumes, any recommendations?

I’ve smelled pyralone from perfumer’s apprentice, it smells like sour-bitter herbal weed, It’s very hard for me to connect it with Leather notes. I guess you just can’t really understand a note from a single ingredient.

So I wonder, are there any modern perfumes, especially leather perfumes, still use loads of IBQ? How is the current version of Bandit ? I really don’t wanna dive into vintage market.

Also, any modern perfumes features Mousse de Saxe ?

Thank you : )
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Isobutyl quinoline infused modern perfumes, any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by the blood on 530 27 View Post
    I’ve smelled pyralone from perfumer’s apprentice, it smells like sour-bitter herbal weed, It’s very hard for me to connect it with Leather notes. I guess you just can’t really understand a note from a single ingredient.

So I wonder, are there any modern perfumes, especially leather perfumes, still use loads of IBQ? How is the current version of Bandit ? I really don’t wanna dive into vintage market.

That sour sharp "tannery chemicals" take on leather fell out of fashion and I think much of it's effectiveness was also assisted by oakmoss (see Bel Ami 1986). Modern formulas of Aramis, Knize Ten, and the like exist but I think newer perfumes going for a leather vibe shoot for the "shoe leather" photorealism of whatever modern wonderchemical is responsible for it, like Tom Ford Ombre Leather. Just an observation.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by the blood on 530 27 View Post

I love IBQ, especially in vintage compositions, but there are still good options to try in the current market. Along with Aramis, as Zealot Crusader suggested, you could try Estee Lauder Azuree. Knize 10 doesn't have a big IBQ note, in my opinion. It's probably in there, but the leather in Knize 10 has more of a gasoline-infused, tannery feeling. Current Bandit EDP is still quite good, combining IBQ leather with some fairly assertive floral notes. The first Scherrer perfume is an outstanding green chypre with IBQ. It's still in production, I believe. Fragrancenet has it.

Recently, there have been some conscious revivals of the 1970's IBQ green/leather chypre style, including Dusita's Le Sillage Blanc, Papillon's Dryad, and Arquiste's Ella. None equal the older IBQ perfumes in composition and longevity, in my opinion, and they are also quite expensive. You could try samples of these and see what you think.

I can't think of a current perfume with Mousse de Saxe. I hope that the current versions of Caron Bellodgia and Nuit de Noel still contain it, but I don't know since I have vintage bottles of these perfumes. Your best bet here might be to try the recreated Mousse de Saxe base from the Perfumers Supply House. I think it smells wonderful on its own or you can layer it with an essential floral oil.
    Currently wearing: Muse by Coty

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

thank you so much!!!
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.