Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: You Have Some Explaining To Do!

Truth in advertising. I love the country. I love the big city. I embrace the lifestyles of both city and country with gusto. I feared that I might deny one or the other, so I committed to both.

Perfume is a cultural crossroads where all can meet, and where I am happy. Basenotes is a landmark in that place.

I answer with pride to Red, RP, and Redneck all the same!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Truth in advertising. I love the country. I love the big city. I embrace the lifestyles of both city and country with gusto. I feared that I might deny one or the other, so I committed to both.

Perfume is a cultural crossroads where all can meet, and where I am happy. Basenotes is a landmark in that place.

Well. Ok. None of that explains your hello kitty.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Well. Ok. None of that explains your hello kitty.
    LOL!

My wife is a Sanrio fan, and she always liked Chococat and Hello Kitty fashion items, although it's impossible to predict if she'll love something or think it's ghastly. They're kind of like a family joke. We have Sanrio crap everywhere - some of it very ridiculous! I dragged it into all my hobbies, including Basenotes!

I'm sure it goes over well at the rodeos. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Always associated your user name- in a noncontroversial, respectful, inoffensive, also intellectually accomplished/stimulating way- uncommonly and unexpectedly enough, especially its first but also its second part, with quite the opposite of a redneck character and closer to a Byronic (possibly swashbuckling, talented for certain aristocratic sports, hobbies and pursuits as well as scholarly) one, an artistically gifted gentleman from a gentlemanly and romanticized historical age, perhaps due to a an almost involuntary subconscious association/similarity between Red and Rhett

First off, OP, George Cologney is genius. Obvious to the big readers on the board, I chose my name for the iconic Madeleine tea cake, eaten in the first book of Proust's masterpiece, In Search of Lost Time. The passage begins:

"No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate, a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, but individual, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory--this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me, it was myself. I had ceased now to feel mediocre, accidental, mortal. Whence could it have come to me, this all-powerful joy? I was conscious that it was connected with the taste of tea and cake, but that it infinitely transcended those savours, could not, indeed, be of the same nature as theirs. Whence did it come? What did it signify? How could I seize upon and define it?
    I drink a second mouthful, in which I find nothing more than in the first, a third, which gives me rather less than the second. It is time to stop; the potion is losing its magic. It is plain that the object of my quest, the truth, lies not in the cup but in myself."

This, to me, captures the effect of flavor and scent upon experience and memory. Though Luca Turin claims that perfume has less to do with memory than the notion of the "novel" experience, I'd argue that it is a combination of the two that keeps us all so enthralled.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Seeing the Proust references reminds me of this song:

That movie will never get old! Makes me wish my French was better!

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    That movie will never get old! Makes me wish my French was better!
    Everyone has so many deep and well thought up names and I'm over here like:

jeff.jpg

I don’t know, Danny... I thought Attack of the Colognes etc were the best comments of the thread!

wearing dad's aftershave™

So,

I invented my nickname back when I first got a computer and internet access and needed something for IRC.

At the time I was in a previous career in commercial aviation and our airline code was ASE, pronounced "Acey" on the radio by the flight crews, ATC, and Flight Operations (my division).

I was then, to make an analogy, one of the "show runners" for the carrier — hence "AceyMan."

It's been my go-to choice for a display name on forums and such ever since.

/Acey
    Last edited by AceyMan; 27th April 2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: series comma restoration

First off, OP, George Cologney is genius. Obvious to the big readers on the board, I chose my name for the iconic Madeleine tea cake, eaten in the first book of Proust's masterpiece, In Search of Lost Time. The passage begins:

"No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate, a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, but individual, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory--this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me, it was myself. I had ceased now to feel mediocre, accidental, mortal. Whence could it have come to me, this all-powerful joy? I was conscious that it was connected with the taste of tea and cake, but that it infinitely transcended those savours, could not, indeed, be of the same nature as theirs. Whence did it come? What did it signify? How could I seize upon and define it?
    I drink a second mouthful, in which I find nothing more than in the first, a third, which gives me rather less than the second. It is time to stop; the potion is losing its magic. It is plain that the object of my quest, the truth, lies not in the cup but in myself."

This, to me, captures the effect of flavor and scent upon experience and memory. Though Luca Turin claims that perfume has less to do with memory than the notion of the "novel" experience, I'd argue that it is a combination of the two that keeps us all so enthralled.
    I loved Swann's Way. I wrote a rather evocative review of it on Goodreads here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/30736859
    I need to get back and read the rest of In Search of Lost Time.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post

Last edited by AceyMan; Today at 02:13 PM Reason: serial comma
    Are you sure you don't mean Oxford comma?

by the flight crews, ATC, and Flight Operations

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I need to get back and read the rest of In Search of Lost Time.
    I've been saying exactly that for 26 years.

Talk about lost time....

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I've been saying exactly that for 26 years.

Talk about lost time....
    Hah!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Juxtapozbliss, there’s a new(-ish) set of translations. Very, very good, IMHO. Lydia Davis is the first translator in the series and does a spectacular job. A smart friend told me that if you take the time to read all of them in order, you will be a different person at the end. Now that’s a review. I guess I need to start book 2.

Juxtapozbliss, there’s a new(-ish) set of translations. Very, very good, IMHO. Lydia Davis is the first translator in the series and does a spectacular job. A smart friend told me that if you take the time to read all of them in order, you will be a different person at the end. Now that’s a review. I guess I need to start book 2.
    Those are the translations that I own. The books are beautiful, too. Here they sit in my to-read stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Those are the translations that I own. The books are beautiful, too. Here they sit in my to-read stack.
    Those are beautiful. I need something to jolt me out of my reading lassitude, and this project has a whiff of the Bucket List about it.

Bagerhat is where I spent two idyllic years as a Peace Corps volunteer in Bangladesh some 20 years ago.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Bagerhat— peace corps! Beautiful. May I ask since it’s your scent of the day, Dior Homme Cologne— the grapefruit version? I have a sample and I’m trying to figure out which version is THE ONE.

I love the look of those books! A whole set just radiates sophistication.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds
    Blog Entries

HouseOfPhlegethon sounds very Medieval to me. And Phlegethon, on it's own, sounds like a new type of Transformer. lol
    I think there is a metal band called House of Phlegethon - at least, there used to be...
    Currently wearing: Apple by Dragonfly Blue

Bagerhat— peace corps! Beautiful. May I ask since it’s your scent of the day, Dior Homme Cologne— the grapefruit version? I have a sample and I’m trying to figure out which version is THE ONE.
    Honestly, not sure, my friend. It’s a carded sample so I imagine the most recent version.
    Last edited by bagerhat; 28th April 2019 at 03:08 AM.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Thanks Bagerhat! Mine is carded too so I assume we got the same samples! Haha

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm sure it goes over well at the rodeos. haha
    LOL!

Some products in the Hello Kitty world just beg to be kept in their own people universes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Always associated your user name- in a noncontroversial, respectful, inoffensive, also intellectually accomplished/stimulating way- uncommonly and unexpectedly enough, especially its first but also its second part, with quite the opposite of a redneck character and closer to a Byronic (possibly swashbuckling, talented for certain aristocratic sports, hobbies and pursuits as well as scholarly) one, an artistically gifted gentleman from a gentlemanly and romanticized historical age, perhaps due to a an almost involuntary subconscious association/similarity between Red and Rhett
    Thanks! And yes - it really is a time thing. I love all past eras a bit too much.

Love this quote - feels like somebody read my mind and put it into words I didn't have.

Yes - it's all about memory for me, too. Making and finding. New thoughts and old. The familiar feeling of beautiful novelty. The beauty of old things seen with new eyes.

Basenotes Junkie

Mine was inspired by "Sheldon Cooper's Fun With Flags" on The Big Bang Theory.

This a great thread Danny Mitchell. iArriba!

I came up with mine to honor my ethnicity as I have family from Puerto Rico on my mother's side. My mother was born there and moved to Pennsylvania with her parents and 2 sisters while young. I've been to PR three times thus far and I'm quite "homesick" from that beautiful island.

Basenotes Junkie

My username is simply my name.

Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    This a great thread Danny Mitchell. iArriba!

I came up with mine to honor my ethnicity as I have family from Puerto Rico on my mother's side. My mother was born there and moved to Pennsylvania with her parents and 2 sisters while young. I've been to PR three times thus far and I'm quite "homesick" from that beautiful island.
    Thanks, man. Next time you go to the island.....take me with you! lol
    Makes me wonder what the average cologne wearer uses in Puerto Rico versus Norton, OH. Or from Indianapolis, like me.
    That something that has always intrigued me, what different parts of the world wear. I have been all over the U.S., the Caribbean, and Mexico, and that's about it.

Thanks, man. Next time you go to the island.....take me with you! lol
    Makes me wonder what the average cologne wearer uses in Puerto Rico versus Norton, OH. Or from Indianapolis, like me.
    That something that has always intrigued me, what different parts of the world wear. I have been all over the U.S., the Caribbean, and Mexico, and that's about it.
    You got it bro. Lol.
    Love the Caribbean myself. In fact, one of the bottles I own is Creed Virgin Island Water- a temporary cure for my homesickness.
    Yet, I'm ok with Ohio lol. I like to travel though. Do you own any scents that remind you of any of your travels?