Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Change My Mind: Obsessing over fragrance is the most passive, cringe-worthy "hobby" there is

Oh yeah, I said it. Now hear me out:

You buy a bottle, you spray it on yourself and you go about your day. Maybe you smell it wafting off you a lot, or maybe just a little. But that's it, That's the extent of your active involvement with this hobby. Ok, maybe you go on Basenotes and pose some questions, answer a few or just engage in small talk ... about what you smell, what others smell and what stuff you haven't smelled smells like. Can you name a more passive hobby? Seriously, all you need is a nose. And even with that, inhaling is an autonomic bodily function. You literally have to do nothing but breath and you can enjoy fragrance (or not enjoy it, I get it).

But can you get "better" with this hobby? Can you practice it and somehow achieve mastery? No, it's basically smelling and describing what you smell. (Don't even get me started on the low bar for Youtube reviewers). There is no talent if you're on the consumer side of fragrance collecting. You might as well say you enjoy collecting colors — literally, colored pieces of paper. To pull out and look at and appreciate the nuances of whatever hue you're holding at the time. Where are the communities that claim to be tasters, who devote forums and threads to what they tasted for breakfast, then for lunch, then for dinner on a daily basis? Where are the people who like to boast about their flavor collection?

So yeah, fragrances as a hobby is ... nothing really. it's basically saying I spend money on this and that. Wearing a fragrance isn't an active process. Smelling a fragrance isn't some thing that separates serious scent aficionados from their neighbor because everyone with a nose can do that. So what is there to be proud of and why the need for a community based around it?

Ok, now tear me a new one...

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Change My Mind: Obsessing over fragrance is the most passive, cringe-worthy "hobby" there is

Say, someone collects hats. They extent of their involvement with those things is purchasing them, looking at them, and wearing them. I'd say this is similar. You wouldn't get any better at wearing hats. It takes no effort to have a hat on your head.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Change My Mind: Obsessing over fragrance is the most passive, cringe-worthy "hobby" there is

l don't feel the need to defend myself for gaining pleasure out of something.

lf you're not into it, why are you here?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Love Tuberose by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Nostri View Post

You buy a bottle, you spray it on yourself and you go about your day. Maybe you smell it wafting off you a lot, or maybe just a little. But that's it, That's the extent of your active involvement with this hobby. Ok, maybe you go on Basenotes and pose some questions, answer a few or just engage in small talk ... about what you smell, what others smell and what stuff you haven't smelled smells like. Can you name a more passive hobby? Seriously, all you need is a nose. And even with that, inhaling is an autonomic bodily function. You literally have to do nothing but breath and you can enjoy fragrance (or not enjoy it, I get it).

But can you get "better" with this hobby? Can you practice it and somehow achieve mastery? No, it's basically smelling and describing what you smell. (Don't even get me started on the low bar for Youtube reviewers). There is no talent if you're on the consumer side of fragrance collecting. You might as well say you enjoy collecting colors — literally, colored pieces of paper. To pull out and look at and appreciate the nuances of whatever hue you're holding at the time. Where are the communities that claim to be tasters, who devote forums and threads to what they tasted for breakfast, then for lunch, then for dinner on a daily basis? Where are the people who like to boast about their flavor collection?

So yeah, fragrances as a hobby is ... nothing really. it's basically saying I spend money on this and that. Wearing a fragrance isn't an active process. Smelling a fragrance isn't some thing that separates serious scent aficionados from their neighbor because everyone with a nose can do that. So what is there to be proud of and why the need for a community based around it?

The only reason I half agree with you is because I’ve spent so much money on it over the 12 months I’ve been into it. I am also a vaping enthusiast and spend just as much money on that but at least it stops me from smoking and allows me to improve my dexterity and handling of tools from building coils. And it gives me a lot of joy.

I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on Aventus lately and it gives me a tenth the joy of vaping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Well, that’s just one (depressingly limited) way to look at it. It’s like saying everyone can be a wine sommelier just because they have tastebuds. But you’re entitled to your opinion so we won’t be tearing you a new one lol. Just remember to surrender your Basenotes card on your way out.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Well. Fragrance is a combination of a perfect accessory and a perfect sensory pleasure. Hat and wine in the same package.

Thanks for the proclamation, it's good to know your out there looking after all our interests.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Aurum d Angkhor By Sultan Pasha
    2. Fougere Noire By Sultan Pasha
    3. L' Heure d' Or By Sultan Pasha
    4. Encens Chypre By Sultan Pasha
    5. Equilibre By Sultan Pasha

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

So what is there to be proud of
    Perhaps that you smell good and others recognize that?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think the more proper comparison would be to a hat collection. Or hell, even a movie or record collection.
    I agree that wine or whisky tasting is possibly more nuanced. To me, breaking down a cologne scent and picking apart every note kinda of sucks the joy out of it, to a certain extent.
    The same with my scotch collection. I don't fanaticize over it or focus on it too much, but I take a moment picking up on different tasting notes and doing comparisons between, say, an 8 year old versus a 16 year old Lagavullin. I don't do anything like that with my cologne collection, nor would I particularly enjoy doing that, but I appreciate and understand those that do. There are differences between the hobbies but they seem negligible to me. You can obtain similar sensations from smelling something just as you can from tasting.

OP is right

Now where can I claim the money I have spent back ?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I think the more proper comparison would be to a hat collection. Or hell, even a movie or record collection.
    I agree that wine or whisky tasting is possibly more nuanced. To me, breaking down a cologne scent and picking apart every note kinda of sucks the joy out of it, to a certain extent.
    The same with my scotch collection. I don't fanaticize over it or focus on it too much, but I take a moment picking up on different tasting notes and doing comparisons between, say, an 8 year old versus a 16 year old Lagavullin. I don't do anything like that with my cologne collection, nor would I particularly enjoy doing that, but I appreciate and understand those that do. There are differences between the hobbies but they seem negligible to me. You can obtain similar sensations from smelling something just as you can from tasting.
    ls.jpg
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

I hear you but the other way of looking at things are.............That smell can always be with you. It stays on your skin, your hair, your clothes. It can almost been seen as an extension of one's self. It can make an impression on others. If not consciously then sometimes subconsciously. I love music. I collect records. I can only hear them and maybe flick through the inner cards and so on. Other than that I talk on music forums like we do hear on Basenotes. Just some food for thought!!
    My All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Bois Du Portugal - Creed
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Grand Soir - Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Oajan - Parfums De Marly
    New Haarlem - Bond No.9
    Pure Tonka - Thierry Mugler
    Havana - Aramis
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

What about music? You can just (ask someone to) put the radio on. You could, in theory, even stop breathing, your ears will automatically do the job and unless you run out of electricity you don't even have to spray or buy more or choose a song. You could, even if someone chopped off your arms and legs and tied you down on a bed or put you in a coffin or an iron maiden, still listen to music (or watch tv, for that matter, but you may have to move your head, unless your captor has put you in the right position) and yet millions of people seem to enjoy and talk about it.

Wow! Nostri, that’s a helluva post this morning! Where’s the corpse that sits up in its coffin?

I opened my eyes, reached for my iPad, and logged into my basenotes account. What does that say?

The wallet in my handbag shall hurteth next month, but I don’t care.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Dependent

It's just a hobby, like many others, to each it's own.

Basenotes Plus

Pointless thread.. What more can you do with baseball cards? Stamps? Coins? On and on we could go.

You could speak to a thousand different people on the forum and discover a thousand different reasons why they partake in this ‘hobby’.

Some collect, a few just want to smell nice, others are seeking to rediscover a long lost smell from years gone by. Some want to create their own perfumes. Maybe obsessive compulsive tendencies.

I remember seeing a documentary on hoarders/collectors a while ago - it turns out that many of them did so not because of obsessive tendencies as was first thought, but because many of them had suffered the terrible loss of a family member and it was a coping mechanism. It gave them control over something in their life at a time when they might have felt nothing else was in their control.

Some just like the banter and interacting with others with the same types of interests. When its reduced just to a ‘who has the biggest collection’ contest, the point of it has been missed entirely.

Enjoy your fragrances however you can. You don’t need to spend thousands to do it either. Also you can make it as passive or active as you like.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

It can certainly be cringe worthy yes

This has to be trolling, right? I have read through this post multiple times, and, the one and only conclusion I can come to is you are trolling and trying to get people in a forum dedicated to fragrances to argue with you about the merits of enjoying a fragrance hobby. The exact same points you made can be said about pretty much any type of art form hobby. All you need are eyes to enjoy paintings. All you need are ears to enjoy music. There is "no talent if you're on the consumer side" of either of those, do you think there are no merits in having and enjoying artwork or music either? You didn't even make any good arguments for your case. People enjoy art in whatever form they choose for the personal satisfaction they find in them.

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    Pointless thread.. What more can you do with baseball cards? Stamps? Coins? On and on we could go.
    Pretty much what I was going to say. Yes - it is a hobby / collection. Not a sport. Very passive. But so is many other things we do. It wasn't supposed to take the place of exercise. It's not part of the Atkins diet. It's just a hobby.

And cringe-worthy? No. Doll collections are way more cringe worthy IMO. I could probably think of 200 other things that people are into that are way more cringe-worthy. I own zero dolls. Normal people own zero dolls. Almost all people own at least one fragrance - we just carry it to ridiculous levels. We don't start off with something ridiculous and make it creepy.
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Heh, now there's a spanner thrown into the works. I enjoy threads like this, and this is a very interesting one.

First of all, the value of a hobby is completely subjective to the people indulging in it.

I think indulging in fragrance is a hobby that is appealing to our primary senses, a result of thousands of generations of evolution, and something incredibly primal and wired to our brain. It's incredibly passive in a way that doesn't even take a lot of intellect or aptitude to enjoy, only to describe to others. And yet, every scent can evoke different images, emotions, or moods in some people as it's tied to our childhood, history, and what we are.

I think the closest to appreciating fragrance are other hobbies tied to our senses - appreciating visual art and design, listening to music, eating good food, all which are appealing to our inner hedonist sitting in a corner of our psyche somewhere. It's purely consumptive. Are these indulgences productive? Are they giving you anything except pleasure and enjoyment?

Now making these things is something entirely different and requires a creative drive and talent, and I would argue that becoming a perfumer is difficult, and the entry costs into this as a hobby are quite high.

'Collecting' is a different category of hobby altogether since this is also a drive that is deeply rooted in a lot of people, ever since we were hunter gatherers. If something exists, it will be collected. I shall call it Rule 34 of the Real Life (not the internet, if you catch my drift. Fine if you don't ).

All that matters is that you do what brings you joy in your life. If it's smelling fragrance, great. If it's vaping, knock yourself out. Unless you're not a hedonist, in which case, become an ascetic.

I feel personally attacked! lol

1. This is obviously trolling
    2. Why are you here? on a literal fragrance forum
    3. Most other hobbies I can think of are equally 'pointless'.

What if your hobby is sports, and you spend your time learning about players, watching games, listening to shows/podcasts about them, etc. That doesn't make you grow. That doesn't make you money or better yourself as a person. It's just a hobby. AT THE VERY MOST - being a sports enthusiast allows you to have conversations with other people about sports. And maybe bet on it. That's it. Any hobby has the same purpose. It passes the time, interests us, and gives us something to talk about. It is also relatively unique; I don't know a single other person IRL that cares about fragrances.

And then there's some small benefits! Like being a young man and having an attractive woman tell you that you smell good. Or even getting to show off a little bit if you have a big collection or an expensive fragrance (flexing). I seriously don't understand how you are supposed to defend or attack a ''hobby''. May I ask what yours is Nostri?
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Heh, now there's a spanner thrown into the works. I enjoy threads like this, and this is a very interesting one.

First of all, the value of a hobby is completely subjective to the people indulging in it.

I think indulging in fragrance is a hobby that is appealing to our primary senses, a result of thousands of generations of evolution, and something incredibly primal and wired to our brain. It's incredibly passive in a way that doesn't even take a lot of intellect or aptitude to enjoy, only to describe to others. And yet, every scent can evoke different images, emotions, or moods in some people as it's tied to our childhood, history, and what we are.

I think the closest to appreciating fragrance are other hobbies tied to our senses - appreciating visual art and design, listening to music, eating good food, all which are appealing to our inner hedonist sitting in a corner of our psyche somewhere. It's purely consumptive. Are these indulgences productive? Are they giving you anything except pleasure and enjoyment?

Now making these things is something entirely different and requires a creative drive and talent, and I would argue that becoming a perfumer is difficult, and the entry costs into this as a hobby are quite high.

'Collecting' is a different category of hobby altogether since this is also a drive that is deeply rooted in a lot of people, ever since we were hunter gatherers. If something exists, it will be collected. I shall call it Rule 34 of the Real Life (not the internet, if you catch my drift. Fine if you don't ).

All that matters is that you do what brings you joy in your life. If it's smelling fragrance, great. If it's vaping, knock yourself out. Unless you're not a hedonist, in which case, become an ascetic.
    I think that your statement about hobbies being subjective sums things up perfectly.

Humans have this tendency to write off anything that doesn't interest them. Everything is stupid unless they like it.
    My All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Bois Du Portugal - Creed
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Grand Soir - Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Oajan - Parfums De Marly
    New Haarlem - Bond No.9
    Pure Tonka - Thierry Mugler
    Havana - Aramis
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

You’d have a heart attack in The Mummy’s Tomb! LOL How about arranging my collectible dolls around a fragrance theme? I may decide to include a character for the vintage forum pic of my Guerlain L’Heure Bleue vintage collectibles. dougzar, I know all too well the “normal” which you speak of, and the unveiling of this “normalcy” proved it a bore. So you know, the same people who attack my other interests attack this hobby with equal fervor, and call me “weird” for having it, but I know that’s actually just aggravated envy on their insipid part because I am an eccentric, intelligent woman of exceptional taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Pretty much what I was going to say. Yes - it is a hobby / collection. Not a sport. Very passive. But so is many other things we do. It wasn't supposed to take the place of exercise. It's not part of the Atkins diet. It's just a hobby.

And cringe-worthy? No. Doll collections are way more cringe worthy IMO. I could probably think of 200 other things that people are into that are way more cringe-worthy. I own zero dolls. Normal people own zero dolls. Almost all people own at least one fragrance - we just carry it to ridiculous levels. We don't start off with something ridiculous and make it creepy.
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Nothing is written!

Well, OP is the person behind one or two banned users, so I am not surprised...
    I think he Stached his P'stachios in his Stache.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Taking a break, though I might drop in from time to time.
    If I don’t reply, that’s why.
    - Norstrøm
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

this not a hobby, it's a way of life !
    spray and pray...

For you, dougczar, a Kenner Darcy dressed in blue / gold evening dress with matching blue / gold tie scarf. I picked out the separate pieces myself to create the outfit, from original shiny JEM shoes and pink glitter stockings to starched white pantaloons. Added two finishing touches: on her right arm, a “purse” I bought from a monastery in Cyprus, where I viewed the Holy Relic skull of Saint Lazarus, filled with dried flowers. On her right arm, an emptied bottle of vintage L’Heure Bleue. Feast your eyes upon my weird hobby then! A Memento Mori of wired hair forming violets will be arranged for your displeasure.

Quote Originally Posted by tcmquincy View Post

1. This is obviously trolling
    2. Why are you here? on a literal fragrance forum
    This

You certainly accomplished what you set out to do, OP, which is to confound many and foster replies. But...What the heck, I need to use my brain for something other than mind-numbing work, so I'll bite.

Your premise is flawed in many ways:

- You seem to assume that perfume is an inherently simple, almost craftless thing to produce. By claiming that "anyone with a nose" can take part in this hobby to its fullest extent, you're assuming that everyone can smell every note in a perfume; that everyone experiences a scent in the same way; that one cannot learn to distinguish individual facets that come together to create an accord. Of course these assumptions are scientifically false! Very few people can smell every note in a perfume, as even their creators often find themselves anosmic to some facets. Differing skin chemistry means that a pleasant, powdery floral iris scent on YOU might smell like a noxious, grating bomb on ME. With time and practice, one can learn the common materials that make up a perfume. It's like enjoying fine whiskeys, wines, and other potables, as others have already pointed out.

- No, it is not at all like holding pieces of colored paper. Red is red, even if some people experience it differently due to colorblindness and other optical anomalies. But the way different aromatic compounds combine can physically be experienced differently for every person, since we all have differing chemistry and scent memories.

- You also assume a lot about how and why people choose to wear fragrance. What smells like a pleasant afternoon on the seashore to ME might smell like a blot of seaweed and rotting gull dung to YOU. There is definitely an emotional element to fragrance which, in my mind, makes it much, much less "passive," as you call it. When I'm getting whiffs of Bogue's MEM, I feel it is telling me a story and setting an atmospheric scene in my mind. You may call this corny or "cringe-worthy," but the reason that scent is my favorite is that it is among a certain few that feel so transportive to me. Many feel this way about certain smells, and if they choose to indulge in their imaginations as a direct result of smelling something, I'd hardly call that "passive."

- "Cringe-worthy" is completely subjective. I cringe at the thought of watching football, while others lick their chops in anticipation.

- Finally, your view of what constitutes a proper "hobby" is incredibly narrow. Must hobbies always be based around hard skills? That must mean birding -- perhaps one of the oldest hobbies around -- is insufficient as a hobby to you, no? Is watching sports a hobby? Is studying geodes a hobby? In many senses, those activities are also pretty passive. They simply require vision...Except, no, of course they require much more than that -- namely, thought. Fragrance is a thinking hobby just as much as it is a smelling one. But you seem to gloss over the thought portion of it completely. That's ok, because, just like any niche hobby, many people just do not give fragrances a second thought. They are simply just noxious little Axe-bombs to many. Fine. But that's why we fragrance enthusiasts need communities like Basenotes: we have thoughts to share and ponder over. You seem to think that this is just a medium for people to brag, and while there are ALWAYS braggers in ANY hobby, that's not truly the spirit of these forums.
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès