Code of Conduct

Default Anyone know any thing about An Evening in Paris?

I was talking vintage frags with my grandmother and she mentioned what she used to like when she was younger, which was An Evening in Paris. All I can find int he bottle she described to me, is the cologne. Is it unisex? Is there a Perfume?

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Anyone know any thing about An Evening in Paris?

I don't remember the original Evening in Paris in any concentration but cologne. I used to buy it for my mother at Woolworth's dimestore in the 50s and early 60s (it was discontinued in 1969) and have very fond memories of it. I have a vintage bottle, but it's lost too many of its notes to smell like its former self. Was it unisex? I don't think of perfume in those terms, so I'm not much help there.

Basenotes Plus

There was indeed a parfum version of Evening in Paris. It came in the little tasselled laydown you see at the front of this photo.

There were about a zillion different bottle stylings of EIP. Every now and then I come across one I can't resist, because I like cobalt bottles -- like this little sachet bottle I got a few years ago:

EiPsachet1.jpg

Despite its dowdy downmarket reputation, EIP was the final fragrance created by Ernest Beaux, the father of Chanel No. 5.

Missing Oakmoss

Beautiful, Cook.bot! I'd love to know how a well-stored parfum has held up over the years.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Both of you make me want to sample Evening in Paris now.

Great jorb.
    oh look, I have a signature

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Both of you make me want to sample Evening in Paris now.

Great jorb.
    It's readily available on eBay at reasonable prices, including the parfum - just checked.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    It's readily available on eBay at reasonable prices, including the parfum - just checked.
    Now you gone and done it.

Basenotes Plus

Beautiful, Cook.bot! I'd love to know how a well-stored parfum has held up over the years.
    I would bet that the original French formulation ("Soir de Paris") probably held up better. The American version probably had lower quality ingredients, since it was a dimestore fragrance. The parfum laydown I own has lost all its topnotes, but still has a lot of oomph after that. The dark blue bottles probably help with that, too.

Just last month I posted a BBC audio documentary about the Osmotheque trying to recreate the original formula:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/463...eaux-fragrance

Now you gone and done it.
    I don't think it's quite your cup of tea, ZC (kaleidoscopic floral, heavy on the jasmine and heliotrope), but it's a fun bottle to have in any collection.

I especially like the talc bottles. Great art deco look.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I would bet that the original French formulation ("Soir de Paris") probably held up better. The American version probably had lower quality ingredients, since it was a dimestore fragrance. The parfum laydown I own has lost all its topnotes, but still has a lot of oomph after that. The dark blue bottles probably help with that, too.

Just last month I posted a BBC audio documentary about the Osmotheque trying to recreate the original formula:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/463...eaux-fragrance

I don't think it's quite your cup of tea, ZC (kaleidoscopic floral, heavy on the jasmine and heliotrope), but it's a fun bottle to have in any collection.

I especially like the talc bottles. Great art deco look.

I liked L'Huere Bleue and Apres L'Ondée so I might like this. Heliotrope is okay to me. I wouldn't go full Loves Baby Soft but the talcum drydown is nice. I really only detest shampooey modern florals or sticky fruitchoulis that remind me of an over-sprayed B&BW mist (aka a lot of modern femmes)

So the cologne would be suitable to get her?

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Nattyboh74 View Post
    So the cologne would be suitable to get her?
    The cologne doesn't age well, there won't be much left but the base at this point. I'd go for the parfum, which doesn't cost much more than the cologne on eBay. And the bottle is so pretty! Given a choice between vintage cologne or parfum, it's almost always best to go for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I think vintage EIP is definitely worth a sniff, despite the drugstore pedigree. I'm not entirely convinced that is is necessary to look for vintage "Soir de Paris" bottles, Cook.bot, although it would certainly be great to find one in good condition. I looked on Ebay and didn't see any, just the recent Soir de Paris reissue in EDP and cologne that should definitely be avoided. There are Evening in Paris ads going back to the 1930's, so an older EIP bottle should be just fine.

I liked L'Huere Bleue and Apres L'Ondée so I might like this. Heliotrope is okay to me. I wouldn't go full Loves Baby Soft but the talcum drydown is nice. I really only detest shampooey modern florals or sticky fruitchoulis that remind me of an over-sprayed B&BW mist (aka a lot of modern femmes)
    I agree with Bonnette's and Cook.bot's suggestion to seek out a well preserved parfum over the cologne. I think you might find EIP quite interesting, Zealot Crusader. It's inherent sweetness made me rethink my historical categorization of perfumery. Unlike the sweetness in LHB and AL'O, which is tempered by other notes, EIP is a straightforwardly sweet floral, which made me realize that the taste for girly sweet scents predated Brittany and Ariane. EIP has beautiful floral notes so it cannot be mistaken for a modern candyfloss scent.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Hmm.. can someone link me to the bottle Im looking for? I see an EDT too, but Parfum is the highest concentration?

Missing Oakmoss

Just go to eBay and type "vintage Evening in Paris parfum" into the search bar and peruse the many items that come up, reading the descriptions and checking seller ratings. I wouldn't dream of telling someone else which bottle to buy.

Just go to eBay and type "vintage Evening in Paris parfum" into the search bar and peruse the many items that come up, reading the descriptions and checking seller ratings. I wouldn't dream of telling someone else which bottle to buy.
    I should've been more specific... Am I only looking for the bottle with the tassel

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Nattyboh74 View Post
    I should've been more specific... Am I only looking for the bottle with the tassel
    I don't know. The picture Cook.bot posted of the tasseled bottle is the first and only one I've seen for this fragrance, but there might have been others over the years.

Thanks!