Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Change My Mind: Selling fragrance decants should be illegal and punishable by death

Ok, maybe not death. But certainly hefty fines.

In what world could I ever buy an album, burn the popular songs onto another compact disc (or mp3, whatever) and then sell those for my own profit? Is it ok to buy a Louis Vuitton purse, cut out the label and sew it into a Kmart bag and sell that for profit? Maybe I should buy an original Banksy print, make some copies at OfficeMax and sell those out of the trunk of my car...

Yet we're ok with the loads of talentless hacks selling decants on Ebay, Youtube and ecommerce stores. And nothing is being done about it. What gives?

Default Re: Change My Mind: Selling fragrance decants should be illegal and punishable by death

Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Default Re: Change My Mind: Selling fragrance decants should be illegal and punishable by death

I don't know about all that but I do think eBay should ban decant sellers and delete to posting. Infuriating that for almost any given fragrance I can find 20 results for decants for every bottle available to purchase.

That argument has so many faulty analogies I don't even know where to start.

Hopefully this'll get locked before too long.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    That argument has so many faulty analogies I don't even know where to start.

Hopefully this'll get locked before too long.
    Oh, the "so-many-I-don't-even-know-where-to-start-so-I-won't-have-to-bother-trying-to-make-a-case-but-still-get-my-two-cents-in" argument.

Come on, you can do better than that. I honestly don't see how decanting for profit is acceptable behavior.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Lol at punishable by death but yes it should be illegal and it is unethical. I laugh when people here get mad at business practices by brands like bond no 9 to protect their brand, in efforts to support the decanters own unethical behaviors.

Thank you nasty Nos for these compelling topics.

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    I don't know about all that but I do think eBay should ban decant sellers and delete to posting. Infuriating that for almost any given fragrance I can find 20 results for decants for every bottle available to purchase.
    Ebay actually used to be much more up tight about sellers redistributing decants. Bond and Creed used to go after sellers pretty often, and have them remove their decants, or face a strike on their seller profile.

Not sure what happened, or why they changed their policy, but I am happy with it. It gives people the opportunity to sample things before committing to buying a full bottle.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

The biggest problem with your argument is this. If I buy a CD and burn copies of it, I still get to keep the original. That should be, and is, illegal. But buying a flacon of juice is different. I buy the flacon at a discounted price and I then sell smaller amounts to others that want to enjoy it at a fraction of the cost of a retail bottle. I don't get to keep what I sell. I can't make copies of a flacon. If I'm spending money on decant bottles, labels and shipping, and spending my time to split the juice, I should make a little profit. I highly doubt there are splitters that are making so much profit that they can quit their day jobs. Interesting topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because you're giving away portions of your product, therefore it's no different than selling anything else.

Not much going on for ya today eh?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

oh look, I have a signature

Ever hear of a mixtape?
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    This made me laugh.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Change my mind - trolling should be punishable by death.

I buy a crate of Coca-Cola taking advantage of the discount for volume, but instead of drinking it all myself I decide to sell them off. Off with my head.

Coordinating group purchasing for a discount? Electric chair.
    Inserting myself as a middleman anywhere in the wholesale-retail chain for a cut of the profits? Lethal injection.
    Disrupting an industry by taking advantage of technology to take over the usual distribution and retail networks? Surely there must be a fate worse than death for this.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

I don't follow your argument.
    You seem to be against the free market system - as what you describe as something that should be banned is something that happens millions of times every day - namely, someone buys bulk quantity or quantities at a certain price, then splits them up and sells lesser quantities at higher prices.
    It happens in every shop and every Ebay store and among numerous Ebay sellers.

Instead you conflate and confuse this normal activity with both fraudulent activities designed to deceive buyers (Louis Vuitton labels on K-Mart bags), and with illegal activities (copying copyrighted music and prints and selling them).

There isn't any fraud or illegality in selling legitimate decants (not fakes), unless some country or other has passed some law making it illegal to do so.
    Regards,
    Renato

'Changing your mind' seems to be your favorite hobby lately...you might consider storing your announcements here: http://www.basenotes.net/forums/24-Just-Starting-Out
    Currently wearing: Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Basenotes Junkie

Maybe the op should be punishable by death
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Basenotes Plus

As said, free market. Walmart buys bulk loads of Doritos. They then sell smaller portions of those Doritos that they bought. Switching labels would be counterfeiting. I think most basenoters are anti-counterfeits.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Perfume is a semi-persishable, non ingestible (unless you really try...) good which is easily divided. The packaging can be copyrighted, but the contents cannot. Comparing fragrance to music or counterfeits (assuming the decants are legitimate of course) is a very flawed argument.

OP, are these questions you come up with while living in your mother's basement?
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    Because you're giving away portions of your product, therefore it's no different than selling anything else.

Not much going on for ya today eh?
    Try buying a pack of cigarettes and "giving away" (not what I said -- I said "selling") individual cigarettes in New York. You can't. It's illegal and you'll be arrested, or killed if you remember the case of Eric Garner.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    As said, free market. Walmart buys bulk loads of Doritos. They then sell smaller portions of those Doritos that they bought. Switching labels would be counterfeiting. I think most basenoters are anti-counterfeits.
    You clearly know nothing about how markets work. Walmart buys bulk loads of Doritos at wholesale prices in business agreements with brand owners. So the brand is guaranteed to move, say, 3000 units a week. Walmart sells at a markup of their purchased price to pocket the difference and provide a vehicle for the brand to move product. This is a legal arrangement backed by contracts.

Try buying some prescribed pills and selling them individually around town. Not legal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    There isn't any fraud or illegality in selling legitimate decants (not fakes), unless some country or other has passed some law making it illegal to do so.
    Regards,
    Renato
    That's why I just said it SHOULD be illegal. You're saying it shouldn't be illegal because it's not illegal. That doesn't make a point at all.

Beat me to it

That’s just absurd. Decant sellers are merely providing a service to cater to the needs of a consumer segment not satisfactorily met by the industry. Not everybody wants to buy 50 ml or 100 ml of fragrance . Not everybody wants to sell a kidney to buy a bottle of Roja Dove/Clive Christian either when a more affordable decant offers plenty of wears to scratch that itch. If you want to blame anyone blame the fragrance houses for NOT offering samples, discovery sets or travel-friendly options.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by Nostri View Post
    Ok, maybe not death. But certainly hefty fines.

In what world could I ever buy an album, burn the popular songs onto another compact disc (or mp3, whatever) and then sell those for my own profit? Is it ok to buy a Louis Vuitton purse, cut out the label and sew it into a Kmart bag and sell that for profit? Maybe I should buy an original Banksy print, make some copies at OfficeMax and sell those out of the trunk of my car...

Yet we're ok with the loads of talentless hacks selling decants on Ebay, Youtube and ecommerce stores. And nothing is being done about it. What gives?
    Just so I understand fully. You're talking about selling fake decants?? Or are you including the real deal??
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Homme Parfum - Dior
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Mayfair - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post

Bwahahhahahahah all round

Whats with all the totally trollworthy threads of late? I'm a betting man and I'd happily wager that all of the main proponents know each other anyway...

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nostri View Post
    You clearly know nothing about how markets work. Walmart buys bulk loads of Doritos at wholesale prices in business agreements with brand owners. So the brand is guaranteed to move, say, 3000 units a week. Walmart sells at a markup of their purchased price to pocket the difference and provide a vehicle for the brand to move product. This is a legal arrangement backed by contracts.

Try buying some prescribed pills and selling them individually around town. Not legal.
    i don’t think controlled products like cigarettes and pharmaceuticals are really analogous. There are other reasons why the sale of cigarettes and pharmaceuticals are closely controlled and regulated. Those reasons don’t apply to fragrance.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Apart from very small quantities distributed either commercially or even cost free for very limited testing purposes alone, can partly agree especially regarding larger amounts of perfume decanted in larger sized bottles.
    Maybe not downright illegal, fined, punishable etc. but still perhaps more closely, precisely and carefully regulated.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Apart from very small quantities distributed either commercially or even cost free for very limited testing purposes alone, can partly agree especially regarding larger amounts of perfume decanted in larger sized bottles.
    Maybe not downright illegal, fined, punishable etc. but still perhaps more closely, precisely and carefully regulated.
    I bet the IFRA would be willing to help write some good regulations.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

I don’t think there’s a problem tbh, you’ve bought the original item at its retail price set by the supplier, if you decide to decant it down and sell it on (as long as it’s not modified) I can’t see what the issue would be? People can calculate basic math and work out if you are making a profitable margin on the decant (factoring bottles, sprayers, packaging, postage and most importantly time into the equation).

All that changing this would do is drive it underground but it wouldn’t change the fact that people are still going to split frags.
    My Most Complimented:

1). Aventus - Creed
    2). Sauvage - Dior
    3). Allure Homme Sport - Chanel
    4). L'Homme - Prada
    5). Acqua Di Gio Profumo - Giorgio Armani
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed