Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fragrance Packaging/Bottles - Classy Vs. Trendy

Greetings,

I was just curious - do you prefer when fragrance companies stick with more classy/sophisticated packaging and bottles - like say black and silver or gold or colors, designs and fonts that generally have an old school classic look to them.

Or

Do you prefer when fragrance companies at least try to be hip and trendy with the generation today and for lack of a better word, have more of a "loud" branding like say CK Shock with the spray paint green or when MP3 players were popular - Givenchy Intense looking like a MP3 player. I realize CK Shock and Givenchy Intense are older colognes, but they were the first that popped into my head. I am sure there are even more blatant attempts at being edgy, hip or with a similar branding style to Axe.

Now certainly you can prefer both colognes that are trying to appeal to young adults today or more sophisticated looking brands - after all it's really the juice that counts, but for me - sometimes attempts at being hip and trendy can be a real negative if you can tell that they are just try too hard to reach millennials. Plus some of the packaging and bottles are so dreadful, that you don't even want it sitting in your collection.

What's your take?

Default Re: Fragrance Packaging/Bottles - Classy Vs. Trendy

Classy - I love the look of classy fragrance bottles. I think Bleu de Chanel is a pretty classy bottle, as well as Creed and Frederic Malle, if we're talking niche. You want it to look good on your counter. No need for gimmicky bottles, although I might "tolerate" them if the scent is good enough.

Freed from BN Institution

Classy would be along the lines of Chanel - very simplistic and timeless, nothing to sophisticated.

Trendy would be along the lines of eye appealing, something like Roja Dove or Xerjoff.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

As long as they don’t look tacky I’m ok with most. I do have equally strong preference for sleek & classy lookers as well as the more ornate /ostentatious presentation styles.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

I think I prefer classy but it's nothing wrong when companies try to do something new or to develop the bottles. The sprayer is a part were they can differ. Dior does sprayers with class and function.

One example when all went wrong is the following, I own a bottle of this hideous design and it can't even stand up.
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

I prefer classy/simplistic looking bottles to the ornate, baroque or "fun"/tacky looking ones. Of course, there are exceptions.

I find the simple, elegant and classic-looking bottles in clean shapes to be the most beautiful. For example, bottles by Chanel, Serge Lutens (the classic tall ones), L'Artisan Parfumeur, Tauer, Juliet Has a Gun, Amouage (bottles of men's line are achingly beautiful to me! women's line not so much; seen only in the photos though), Hermes, Narciso Rodriguez, Cartier, Tom Ford, Zoologist are among the ones I find the most pleasureable to look at. (I'm sure I'm forgetting to include something.) I find it beautiful when a house has its signature bottle look.
    And I do find most of the cK bottles elegant, to be honest. Contradiction especially. I also like the simple and non-pretentious aesthetics of L'Occitane or Molinard bottles. I find the simplicity of Zara bottles also nice.

I find the baroque, ornate and "rich" looking bottles by Guerlain, Xerjoff, Roja Dove & so on a bit too much for me (Shalimar and flankers are super nice to me though). They're pretty, yes, I'm not arguing against that, but that's just not my preferred style. I'm not a fan of baroque aesthethics in architecture and furniture design either. Not for me.

Some of the more fun, creative, "interesting" or trendy designs just look too tacky for me, but some of them I find amazing. I do like the bottles of cK One and flankers and both Lolita Lempicka's and Dior's apples, and Givenchy's and Paul Gaultiers bottles-woman's figures, Salvador Dali's bottles, Map of the Heart bottles. I love bottles by both Zadig & Voltaire and Etat Libre d'Orange, they beautifully combine the classic/simple bottle design with youthful/teenage feel. FlowerbyKenzo is also achingly beautiful in-between of creative and simplistic.

I take very little interest in the bottles

Comme Des Garcons (the ones you have to lay down) piss me off though

Basenotes Plus

Considering I won't even sample Bond No. 9 because of their bottles, I must lean classy.

I lean classy, but do prefer when perfumers marry elegance with a particularly creative concept, like the Givenchy Pi bottle:

Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I must go with classy.
    I very much prefer the understated and elegant classic Chanel bottles.
    I like the Lutens bell jars, and of course, Guerlain bee bottles.

I cant stand those awkward Bulgari bottles used for Aquamarine and the like.

There's classy, there's trendy but don't forget about kitchy. Avon decanters, anyone?
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    What's your take?
    I prefer when fragrance companies stick with more classy/sophisticated packaging and bottles
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Tending to prefer and therefore to second the clear, minimalist lines e.g. in Chanel style - however, if the fragrance contained is great, being pretty fine with any outer presentation as long as it keeps the fragrance safe and this very fragrance happens to already be a personal favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I lean classy, but do prefer when perfumers marry elegance with a particularly creative concept, like the Givenchy Pi bottle:

Gorgeous bottle. Wish it was a different juice inside it. It's a good fragrance but nothing I would ever wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Gorgeous bottle. Wish it was a different juice inside it. It's a good fragrance but nothing I would ever wear.
    I've never sampled it. I just admire the bottle.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I've never sampled it. I just admire the bottle.
    It's good. Just kinda strong on the sweet side, to me.

Hey Man, great to see you're back after almost a month away and starting new, thought-provoking threads the day after Nostri got banned and cameron's celeb thread got dogpiled; I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

To answer the thread question, many Paco Rabanne bottles look - to quote L'homme Blanc - "like they came out of a Happy Meal" but they seem pretty well liked here. I keep a bottle of 1 Million around and certainly not because of its looks.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Basenotes Plus

As long as the design is well executed, I can appreciate either ethos.

Best classic men's bottle IMO -- Coriolan by Guerlain: the gunpowder flask reference is genius.

Best modernist men's bottle -- Halston Z-14. The way that pinch fits perfectly in your hand, and the heavy glass, just feels so good. Form following function impeccably.

i lean classy but i like newer trendy bottles too. what i dont like is the ugly, novelty over the top bottles. like the one that's a high heels shoe....not my style.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds
    Blog Entries

As long as a bottle can be held and sprayed with ease, I care not its appearance. One bottle I owned that was massively awkward was Natori by Josie Natori. It weighed five pounds, was four foot wide, and the sprayer worked, only on Wednesdays...

Sillage Monster

Generally I like streamlined minimalist bottles, but I also enjoy Thierry Mugler bottles and fragrance-specific Guerlain bottles. I dislike Guerlain’s move to bottle uniformity: it just seems wrong to put Samsara in a generic bottle.
    July Picks

Russian Tea, Salome, Satori, Cryptic, Vermilion Promise, Leather Up, The Calling, Obscure Oud
    Currently wearing: Copper Skies by Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    Hey Man, great to see you're back after almost a month away and starting new, thought-provoking threads the day after Nostri got banned and cameron's celeb thread got dogpiled; I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

To answer the thread question, many Paco Rabanne bottles look - to quote L'homme Blanc - "like they came out of a Happy Meal" but they seem pretty well liked here. I keep a bottle of 1 Million around and certainly not because of its looks.
    What does my having to been away for a month have anything to do with someone being banned. I was never a daily or even monthly poster. I post from time to time - a bunch in a small time period and then nothing for months.

Why do you have such a hard on for me - especially considering I was here long before you and have never gotten even a remote warning of possible banning? Did I kick sand in your face in a past life? Here you are again calling me out:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/464...=1#post4591902

It makes no sense at all.

I think generally I'm on the classy side, but I also love an interesting design. Versace eros/eros flame, though it's not sleek, I think is very interesting and quite beautiful (the bottles). I think it looks better in the eros flame red than in the original blue.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    I cant stand those awkward Bulgari bottles used for Aquamarine and the like.
    This, so MUCH this. Generally, I do not care about bottle design in the least, as I keep all of my fragrances in their boxes when not in use. However, I bought a bottle of Aqua Amara, and the silly bottle design gets to me. To make matters worse, the way you have to open the box to get it out of there is a recipe for disaster that could easily lead to tearing.

To be honest, I have no idea of what my favorite bottle design is, as I don't really see my bottles when browsing my collection. Off the top of my head, I can say that I like Armani's magnetic caps. It just makes their bottles feel more luxurious IMO.

The best packaging on a fragrance I own is Rasasi La Yuqawam. Its this great (faux?) wood looking box that has a magnetic top. It's crazy nice for a budget fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    This, so MUCH this. Generally, I do not care about bottle design in the least, as I keep all of my fragrances in their boxes when not in use. However, I bought a bottle of Aqua Amara, and the silly bottle design gets to me. To make matters worse, the way you have to open the box to get it out of there is a recipe for disaster that could easily lead to tearing.

To be honest, I have no idea of what my favorite bottle design is, as I don't really see my bottles when browsing my collection. Off the top of my head, I can say that I like Armani's magnetic caps. It just makes their bottles feel more luxurious IMO.

The best packaging on a fragrance I own is Rasasi La Yuqawam. Its this great (faux?) wood looking box that has a magnetic top. It's crazy nice for a budget fragrance.
    Wow - the Rasasi La Yuqawam looks great. I have never seen wood before with colognes. I would have assumed the juice would be damaging.

I dislike those boisterous, pseudo classic bottles like Creed, Xerjoff; I'm more into minimalist bottles like Gucci Envy, Gucci Gucci pour Homme I and II and the Ex Nihilo bottles.

Basenotes Plus

Classy. I like Invictus Aqua, Ultra Male, and 1 Million but will never own any of them. Wonderwood seems to be right up my alley, but will not own a fragrance that will not stand up. Will never try CK Shock because it looks like a energy drink. I do care about presentation. I love the new Guerlain bottles. Dior exclusives are awesome. Malles and MFKs are a little squat, but nice. I jettisoned Armaf Tres Nuit because of the triangle shape, just couldn't reconcile it.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Classy with a classy sophisticated quality fragrance to match!

Freed from BN Institution

It's a very unique bottle, it stood out to me very early on. Very catchy too.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I would say classy always. It is common to find the brands ruining an old nice design with a trendy detail or complete redesign...