Code of Conduct

Default Do you have a bottle unpacking/testing routine?

I recently ordered two new bottles and as I look forward to try one of them for the first time I came to think of how I should enjoy the first wearing. I started to wonder if there are some fun routines among the basenoters. Do you just unbox and go for a full wearing or maybe you have some ways of testing it on paper or on skin first.

To answer the question myself I don't have a routine. I think I for the most part commit to a regular wearing but with an extra spray to the hand so I can sniff it along the wearing. I don't have a ritual for the unboxing part either. I'm just opening it carefully and enjoying the features of the presentation.

How do you guys do it?
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Do you have a bottle unpacking/testing routine?

Not really. The only thing I try to do is leave some arm space available to do some initial testing, something that I would do if I knew in advance that I was going to a high end retails to sample scents on a specific day.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Missing Oakmoss

I just go by my mood and wait to try new perfumes until I feel receptive - never when upset, agitated, ill or feeling off.

None so far, also not being particularly demanding, discriminating about outer presentation-of course, as long as the fragrances contained is safe and the preferred amount of sprays/splashes/dabs can be applied without any effort

with brand new fragrances I spray on top of my hand before going to bed (my partner doesn't mind). I have a sniff If i wake in the night.

If I can still smell it clearly in the morning I know its a 'stayer'

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

I don't have a routine, but now that you make me think about it, why not start a tradition like a Japanese tea ceremony?
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.

stinkin' to high heaven

.................................... surrounded by squares
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I just go by my mood and wait to try new perfumes until I feel receptive - never when upset, agitated, ill or feeling off.

...ditto...

It's all in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I don't have a routine, but now that you make me think about it, why not start a tradition like a Japanese tea ceremony?
    Haha, yeah, why not?!

I will let you know if I'm pulling off something in that way tonight when I'm picking up my new bottles
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    these can last up to four hours

If you have lots of samples you might have to book a week of annual leave

I generally spray the first 1 or 2 sprays from a new bottle onto a paper/test strip of some kind. I like to get a chance to smell the new fragrance before actually spraying it on my skin. Also my OCD says this is a chance to get rid of any stale air trapped in the dry empty sprayer tube (especially in older "vintage" bottles). Works for me!
    Currently wearing: Bright Neroli by Ferrari

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Depends how busy I am when I receive the package.

Sillage Monster

If I know something is arriving on a particular day, I refrain from applying any fragrance after showering so I can give the new one a full wearing as soon as it arrives. I carefully open the shipping box with a box cutter and recycle all applicable contents and shred the mailing label that shows my name and address. I typically wear new acquisitions several days in a row so the box and bottle get displayed on my dresser. In the beginning is kind of an infatuation period, like is this going to be The One? But no, no Holy Grail so far!
    July Picks

Russian Tea, Salome, Satori, Cryptic, Vermilion Promise, Leather Up, The Calling, Obscure Oud
    Currently wearing: Copper Skies by Kerosene

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    Do you just unbox and go for a full wearing
    Pretty much
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The faster I can get the box unwrapped and the bottle out of the box and sprayed onto my chest, the better.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Tear the box open and spray away.

Usually wait till I’m in the mood to try or wear it sometimes takes awhile.

Dependent

I do write down what I sprayed on, as when I come home, if I sprayed several ones all over my arms and wrists, I don't remember which one is which.

Only thing I do is make sure that the eye of the spray mechanism is smack in the middle of the label for the first spray - after that I dont mind if it shifts sideways

Am I weird?
    Currently selling:

Perris Monte Carlo Rose de Taif (Extrait), Baruti – Berlin Im Winter, Mancera – Blue Aoud, Mancera – Sand Aoud - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/442795-Sale-Time

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    Only thing I do is make sure that the eye of the spray mechanism is smack in the middle of the label for the first spray - after that I dont mind if it shifts sideways

Am I weird?
    Not weird. I check the nozzle every time to avoid any spraying mishaps.
    July Picks

Russian Tea, Salome, Satori, Cryptic, Vermilion Promise, Leather Up, The Calling, Obscure Oud
    Currently wearing: Copper Skies by Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    Nope. I always like to keep the eye of the spray mechanism smack in the middle of the label. Care if I join you?
    I’m a weirdo myself.
    Welcome aboard!
    Currently selling:

Perris Monte Carlo Rose de Taif (Extrait), Baruti – Berlin Im Winter, Mancera – Blue Aoud, Mancera – Sand Aoud - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/442795-Sale-Time

Take care to unseal cellophane wrap, often open the box from the bottom so as not to get thumbnail marks on the 'good' top side. Mail is usually afternoon, so I hold off from full wear straightaway, rather wait for the evening after other engagements are complete, then I usually do a wrist or two depending on how many I'm testing/re-testing. Guerlian Vetiver yesterday was anomalous as I went in straight for three chest neck sprays ))
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

I open it with all the respect and reverence of a child on Christmas morning. I have typically 3 tapped my left forearm before I make it to my car (or into the house if I had it delivered). I sniff it deeply and I sniff it often until I can no longer detect it.

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    Tear the box open and spray away.
    I was going to say “Rip” instead of “tear” but other than that you took the words right out of my mouth!
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post

Am I weird?
    Yep, 1st thing I do LOL......but have read about counterfeiting so also giving everything a good look over. Have not ordered from any shady places, so far so good......
    Currently wearing: Présence by Montblanc

Just unbox and two sprays on my wrist!

Not much of a routine, just: 1. I try not to damage the box when unpacking(esp. for niche stuff) 2. if it's a blind buy, I test it on my hand first, If not I usually go for a full wearing..

Usually when I get something in the mail, I will be staying home during that time. It'll either be when I get home or in the evening around 4/5 PM. So it works out perfectly, I don't have to test something while going out. I prefer it this way. I get to sample it in my home first, and sometimes I will ask others here what they think of it.

I know many people, especially Youtube reviewers ten to test a fragrance out before going to work. Me, I'd rather first wear it at home around myself, and family, then decide if it's something to wear out, based on weather, performance, etc. Also, I usually do 1 spray to the hand first, this helps me determine projection and longevity. Based on how that performs, I will reapply the scent to the same spot, as well as more if needed on the other hand, arms, neck, etc. The 1 spray technique is really good to figure out longevity and projection best.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional