Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Today, I am not particularly enjoying...

Thought it might be worth a thread...

Default Re: Today, I am not particularly enjoying...

Dior Sauvage EDT.

Wore it again to reconfirm my thoughts.

I'm not sure why it has been so popular, it's unwearable for me.

Bought it just to tick the box, but there was no point. Funnily enough, Luna Rossa Carbon I find completely wearable, no problems at all.

Strangely have one friend who wears it(by the bucket full) and it’s lovely on him. Sampled or on my skin it’s deathly. It’s made me a believer in the difference in skin chemistry(also context: he’s a big tough guy, covered in tattoos). It has a softening effect on his overall affect.

I had a sample of Dolce & Gabbana The One EdT that I tried on the other day, and I really did not like it very much. Washed it off.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

I'm still struggling hard with Alien Man. Cannot really get beyond this Axe\Lynx effect. Put it on yesterday after showering. Now it lingers and lingers... and not in a pleasant way.
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Sampled Eternity for Men Intense. That was a winner.
    Then sampled Eternity Flame for Men. Yuck
    oh look, I have a signature

Dior Homme.
    Wearing it for the 5th time and really trying to grasp the scent.
    I love the lipstick opening but something in the dry down can be off putting for me...might be the leather accord, it hasn’t been an enjoyable experience.

I felt the same and purchased carbon instead as well.
    Then eventually went back and bought Sauvage.
    I’ve found that after the 3rd try with Sauvage something clicked and I understood the fresh/dry feel a lot better and I’ve been wearing it for a week straight now.

People must bath in Sauvage if they are getting choked out by the scent, it’s definetly ozonic and has good projection and sillage but 2 sprays are pleasant and easily tolerable for me.
    The dryness reminds me a little of just spraying an aerosol product like canned deodorant or hairspray.

TF Tobacco Vanille

It's wearable enough for an hour, but its relentlessly linear development makes it tiresome, especially since its most intriguing moment comes during that initial blast before sweetness pushes everything else wholly to the background. Linearity only works in fragrances when the central accord has enough intrigue to sustain the fragrance for its lifespan, but that's not the case here.

It's distinctive enough that's it's easy to see why this made such a splash upon initial release, but I really wish TF would revisit it and give us a kind of flanker. The most interesting components here are in the background, and changing the balance could result in a true winner.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    TF Tobacco Vanille

It's wearable enough for an hour, but its relentlessly linear development makes it tiresome, especially since its most intriguing moment comes during that initial blast before sweetness pushes everything else wholly to the background. Linearity only works in fragrances when the central accord has enough intrigue to sustain the fragrance for its lifespan, but that's not the case here.

It's distinctive enough that's it's easy to see why this made such a splash upon initial release, but I really wish TF would revisit it and give us a kind of flanker. The most interesting components here are in the background, and changing the balance could result in a true winner.
    Grim and inescapable. Sort of like being trapped in a House filled with Yankee Candles for Christmas smells.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Grim and inescapable. Sort of like being trapped in a House filled with Yankee Candles for Christmas smells.
    If said candles were made with top shelf components, then yep. Thankfully, I applied it lightly enough that I'm not suffocated by it. My wife suggested I try to add some character to it by layering something on top of it, but I'm afraid that any attempt to do so might result in something truly abominable. (EDIT: I ended up layering Jacomo de Jacomo on top of Tobacco Vanille and the result is spectacularly good.)

I couldn't get along with Tabac Rouge because the ginger was too prominent on me, so I gave my decant to a friend. It wears much better on him, and it made me wish it wore as well on me, because the dry-down of Tabac Rouge is pretty much a perfected version of Tobacco Vanille.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I had a sample of Dolce & Gabbana The One EdT that I tried on the other day, and I really did not like it very much. Washed it off.
    I am surprised you had to wash it off. It only lasts about 20 minutes.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Basenotes Junkie

TF Tobacco Vanille

I liked it, just didn’t seem very versatile to me (I live in SoCal). Additionally, it was largely a skin scent on me.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Basenotes Junkie

If said candles were made with top shelf components, then yep. Thankfully, I applied it lightly enough that I'm not suffocated by it. My wife suggested I try to add some character to it by layering something on top of it, but I'm afraid that any attempt to do so might result in something truly abominable. (EDIT: I ended up layering Jacomo de Jacomo on top of Tobacco Vanille and the result is spectacularly good.)

I couldn't get along with Tabac Rouge because the ginger was too prominent on me, so I gave my decant to a friend. It wears much better on him, and it made me wish it wore as well on me, because the dry-down of Tabac Rouge is pretty much a perfected version of Tobacco Vanille.
    When I had it, I layered TF Oud Wood. I liked the combination quite a bit. Never wore TV without it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Primatesinplaid View Post
    Dior Homme.
    Wearing it for the 5th time and really trying to grasp the scent.
    I love the lipstick opening but something in the dry down can be off putting for me...might be the leather accord, it hasn’t been an enjoyable experience.
    I have the sport version that I've never really been able to like everytime I try it.

Dependent

D&G The One is a beautiful tobacco scent, the only drawback is that it lacks performance.
    Currently wearing: Red Tobacco by Mancera

Durbano - Black Tourmaline

Thought it smelled like an ashtray years ago. Just revisited my sample... Yep. Still feel the same. Not for me.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Today I would be enjoying Noir Anthracite, which I just got in the mail, but my allergies are standing firmly in my way. So today I am NOT enjoying my totally stuffed up nose
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Basenotes Plus

Thankfully, I applied it lightly enough that I'm not suffocated by it. My wife suggested I try to add some character to it by layering something on top of it, but I'm afraid that any attempt to do so might result in something truly abominable. (EDIT: I ended up layering Jacomo de Jacomo on top of Tobacco Vanille and the result is spectacularly good.)
    You have a smart wife. That’s how I’d wear Tobacco Vanille. Half or up to one spray and layer it with another fragrance. Come to think of it, linearity seems to be the hallmark of most TF blends.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Junkie

I don't believe you. It goes away before you even have a chance to leave the house.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You have a smart wife. That’s how I’d wear Tobacco Vanille. Half or up to one spray and layer it with another fragrance. Come to think of it, linearity seems to be the hallmark of most TF blends.
    Ford has spoken openly about how he likes to layer fragrances throughout the day, so the linearity of his line seems to stem from that.

But, yes, my wife is very smart and very creative. The Tobacco Vanille/Jacomo de Jacomo combination was so excellent (like a very luxurious and spicy riff on a vanilla-flavored clove cigarette) that I'm tempted to replace my 4 ml TV samples just so I can keep wearing it.

Autumn Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
    I am surprised you had to wash it off. It only lasts about 20 minutes.
    That's how badly and how quickly I wanted to get it off my skin.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Bentley for Men. I honestly admire what Lorson did on a shoestring budget here, and there's no doubt this is a pretty decent fragrance at €25 / 100ml, in fact it shames a lot of junk ten times as expensive - it is certainly better than Penhaligon's ridiculous Lord George. Still, despite the booze, spice and woods it's got too synthy a vibe for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Bentley for Men. I honestly admire what Lorson did on a shoestring budget here, and there's no doubt this is a pretty decent fragrance at €25 / 100ml, in fact it shames a lot of junk ten times as expensive - it is certainly better than Penhaligon's ridiculous Lord George. Still, despite the booze, spice and woods it's got too synthy a vibe for me.
    I have the Intense version (which I understand is pretty similar to the normal version, just amped up, like the name suggests) and like it a lot, but, yes, there's a synth-y fuzziness to it.

I don't really mind that though. Lorson, at her best, has a keen sense for making a "synthetic" feel into a feature, not a bug (just consider the biomechanical aromatics of Encre Noire), and in Bentley Intense she uses that synth fuzziness to create a unified effect between all of its components.

Autumn Favorites

Lalique Hommage a L'Homme Voyageur (2014)

This deserves credit for being somewhat unusual, but it feels like a rough draft, caught between being either too minimalist or not quite minimalist enough.

The name and ad campaign suggests that this was meant to suit seafarers, which makes it a kind of unique attempt at an aquatic without doing much that's aquatic (there's ambroxan here, giving dominant the patchouli-vetiver accord some airiness), and if that was the intention, more prominent saltiness might have helped perfect the concept.

In this regard, it suffers in comparison to S.T. Dupont Passenger Escapade, which came out the same year and shares some notes with Voyageur (but isn't identical to it; Passenger Escapade has no patchouli, which is dominant in Voyageur) and offers a more fully realized version of a "dark blue" woody scent.

Autumn Favorites

This deserves credit for being somewhat unusual, but it feels like a rough draft, caught between being either too minimalist or not quite minimalist enough.

The name and ad campaign suggests that this was meant to suit seafarers, which makes it a kind of unique attempt at an aquatic without doing much that's aquatic (there's ambroxan here, giving dominant the patchouli-vetiver accord some airiness), and if that was the intention, more prominent saltiness might have helped perfect the concept.

In this regard, it suffers in comparison to S.T. Dupont Passenger Escapade, which came out the same year and shares some notes with Voyageur (but isn't identical to it; Passenger Escapade has no patchouli, which is dominant in Voyageur) and offers a more fully realized version of a "dark blue" woody scent.
    I wanted to like this one because it's different from anything else I own, and I'm a big fan of the original Hommage, but... no. The only thing this has in common with seafaring is making me nauseous.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Basenotes Junkie

Bergamask, damn this juice is nuclear! And I wear my usual 5 sprays

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I wanted to like this one because it's different from anything else I own, and I'm a big fan of the original Hommage, but... no. The only thing this has in common with seafaring is making me nauseous.
    I can easily imagine Voyageur being a pretty tough wear if applied in heavier quantities.

I've liked all the other Laliques I've tried, but Voyageur isn't my thing.

Autumn Favorites

Interested in giving it a sniff .
    I did think the original hommage is a bit top heavy and needed something substantial in the base. Leather or patchouli perhaps. But seeing as it seems to have little to do with the original im unsure. Worth a sample I guess.

Terre d"hermes Eau Intense Vetiver. I was intriqued by it when I got a sample at Sephora. Deal came up and I got a smaller bottle. Wore it yesterday,no issues. Today, smells like Vicks Vapor Rub on me.