Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Perfumes you never expected a compliment of

I never expect compliments but these ones from strangers were unexpected -

Kouros - bus driver in Phoenix, she complimented me the moment I got on the bus!

1740 Marquis de Sade - bus co-rider in Phoenix, he told me I smelled of incense

New York Intense - a gentleman when grocery shopping in Phoenix, he asked me for the name so he could buy it

Carven Homme - a bartender in Phoenix, he liked it a lot and I gave him the name; he bought it and told me that he enjoyed it a lot. In those days you could buy a bottle off eBay of Amazon for $19. One of the deals of the century. I regret selling/swapping my bottle away later. Miss the bar, too.

Bois d'Argent - a sales rep at Merz in Chicago (downtown), she was surprised that it was a Dior.

Acqua di Gio Profumo - very recently at the Eaton Centre in Toronto, the guy asked me for the name as he wanted to buy it for himself.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Folks still compliment me in my old bottle of Monsieur Houbigant/Monsieur Musk, and young people too! This old dog gets more play than any of my modern crowd pleasers and it's from the early 70's!!!
    I like it a lot, I tried the current version (the one that's very cheap or used to be very cheap). The only criticism I can think of (and usually I'm critical with perfumes) is that it smells just a tad less refined than Kiehl et al, for the first hour or so, but otherwise all good.

I got a nice decant of it from superfluousPastry as part of a swap; he also 'fought' the Creed shills and trolls circa 2015, apart from being an interesting poster and being a fun guy to talk with. Those were the days.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The difficult ones have elicited compliments, which surprised me a lot - like Slumberhouse Mare, Montale Cuir d'Arabie and such...
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

Between two pine trees

My administrative assistant at my former employer adored Une Fleur de Cassie, of all things! Whenever I’d walk into the office with it on, she’d get a big smile on her face and say, “You’re wearing it again for me, aren’t you?”

The answer was always “yes,” of course!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I like it a lot, I tried the current version (the one that's very cheap or used to be very cheap). The only criticism I can think of (and usually I'm critical with perfumes) is that it smells just a tad less refined than Kiehl et al, for the first hour or so, but otherwise all good.

I got a nice decant of it from superfluousPastry as part of a swap; he also 'fought' the Creed shills and trolls circa 2015, apart from being an interesting poster and being a fun guy to talk with. Those were the days.
    Mine are from right at the beginning of the takeover when Dana, Parfums Parquet, and MEM were all vacuumed up by New Renaissance Cosmetics into "New Dana Perfumes" early 90's (now just Dana again). I guess that means slightly better ingredients than current, but it doesn't stop me from getting a pink Dove bar smell in the beginning (which I kinda like but admit is off-putting). Once the Dove soap aura is gone, it does smell a lot like a more-processed Kiehl's (aka no dirt at all), which is probably why folks like it on me. Monsieur Musk walks on the knife's edge of being musky and virile but clean and approachable. Something like Kouros does the same, but with a serrated blade and far less filler than the Houbigant. <3

Yeah, I fight the shills, trolls, and the people high on their hobby horses, but never for the reasons THEY think I do. I either get accused of singling somebody out when I make a generalized observation about community behavior, which forces me to remind them that the world doesn't orbit them and that they never actually crossed my mind. Or better yet, I get beaten into submission by walls of "internet logic" until I'm forced to block, and it's usually about how I can't have an opinion regarding a matter of taste different from theirs. Also the ad honimen attacks over perfume are particularly precious. People just can't let you disagree or be critical of general behavior without taking it personally and then taking shots at somebody. It's part of "Callout culture" I guess. I don't really know.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Adding a new one to the list: Gucci Rush. I think being out in the heat helped with the silage of this one. The person complimenting didn't realize it was me that smelled at first. Best TJ Maxx purchase yet.