Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

Liz B, thank you!

I tried sample 5 of 10, Vetiver Homme. It’s a nice, polite vetiver with good citrus in the opening. I prefer the Elie Saab Vetiver with its papyrus note, but this is also well done. It’s a thumbs up for being a nice vetiver fragrance, which is always fun to smell.

Sample 6 of 10 - Reckless Femme - This is an ok fragrance. It's striking me as more of a typical designer style. Paying big money for this would be hard to take. It's not bad, but with the choices available, I can't imagine this being a perfume lover's favorite. It smells like an ok, synthetic, floral mall fragrance. Neutral.

Is it appropriately opulent without crossing over into cloying? It mostly works, so it's an upbeat neutral. I wonder if PerfumedLady would like it?

Approximate order of preference through six:

1. Beguiled Femme
    2. Mischief Femme
    3. Enslaved Femme
    4. Vetiver Homme
    5. Reckless Femme
    6. Fetish Homme
    Last edited by Bavard; 1st May 2019 at 04:53 PM.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Liz B, thank you!

I tried sample 5 of 10, Vetiver Homme. It’s a nice, polite vetiver with good citrus in the opening. I prefer the Elie Saab Vetiver with its papyrus note, but this is also well done. It’s a thumbs up for being a nice vetiver fragrance, which is always fun to smell.
    Would you consider this inferior to other notables like Guerlain Vetiver and Chanel Sycomore EDT?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Would you consider this inferior to other notables like Guerlain Vetiver and Chanel Sycomore EDT?
    No, it's similar.

The last four are two pairs: Creation-E Femme and Creation-E Homme, and Danger Femme and Danger Homme.

Smelling the nozzles, they smell like typical mass-market fragrances sold on discount websites for $30 for 100 ml. I'm fearing the worst.

I've started what is sample 7, Creation-E Femme. It's a little like a typical fragrance in the mall, a Calvin Klein maybe, one of the sweeter ones. A little like a shampoo smell, but sweeter. This has a menthol note. It's feeling like a thumbs down. The menthol note reminds me of menthol cigarettes. It almost kind of works, yet it's also annoying. Neutral.

Creation-E Homme, sample 8, does not smell related at first. This smells more like a niche fragrance on skin, more outside the mainstream. Because it's at least unusual, I could imagine Basenoters getting excited about it. It's a stinky leather. I like it at least a little. In glimpses, I think I can smell a connection between the men's and women's versions of Creation-E, but then the extra notes in the men's version that make it leathery make a big difference, and they seem unrelated. This isn't something I think I would wear. A stinky opening, but interesting. There's a wood note buried under the leather. I think it's a common wood note used in mall fragrances.

Some of the tope notes were reminding me of something from House of Matriarch. The woody base can smell like a scratchy synthetic in moments, and a lovely leather in moments.

Ultimately, the women's version is much more pleasantly wearable. The men's version smells like an experiment.

Thumbs Up
    1. Beguiled Femme
    2. Mischief Femme
    3. Enslaved Femme
    4. Vetiver Homme

Neutral
    5. Reckless Femme
    6. Creation-E Femme
    7. Fetish Homme
    8. Creation-E Homme
    Last edited by Bavard; 2nd May 2019 at 03:37 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Without even seeing your final rankings, it sounds like you've been mostly underwhelmed by the whole box, Bavard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Without even seeing your final rankings, it sounds like you've been mostly underwhelmed by the whole box, Bavard.
    It had started so well.

Basenotes Plus

It had started so well.
    Ah, well. Just think of all the money you now don't feel compelled to spend.

It had started so well.
    The ones that I posted many of those have positive ratings so maybe you might find something likable from those in a second round of samples?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Ah, well. Just think of all the money you now don't feel compelled to spend.

You get to enjoy his samples afterwords, so it's a win for both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    I splurged to get Creation E, and would love to hear your sampling thoughts!
    I get good moments from it, so I can see what people like about it, but I am so sensitive to the synthetic wood note I was close to giving it a thumbs down.

I think the Piguet Oud fragrances use the same wood notes, including Oud Delice, the sweet one, which they told me sells well.

Also check out D&G La Force 11.
    Last edited by Bavard; 2nd May 2019 at 05:52 PM.

I get good moments from it, so I can see what people like about it, but I am so sensitive to the synthetic wood note I was close to giving it a thumbs down.

I think the Piguet Oud fragrances use the same wood notes, including Oud Delice, the sweet one, which they told me sells well.

Also check out D&G La Force 11.
    Thanks for the thoughts! I don’t smell much of a woody note at all with Creation E, so luckily for me if there are any synthetic aspects there, I don’t pick up on it. But I agree, when you can smell that synthetic vibe in a frag, it turns me away too.

The woody base can smell like a scratchy synthetic in moments, and a lovely leather in moments.
    An interesting observation I happen to share. I noticed it while sampling Great Britain. Not sure how I feel about these subtly synthetic ‘bleeps’.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Excellent thread, Bavard! Fascinating reading! I confess, Beguiled sure does sound up my alley. You remember my beloved notes and styles.

Sample 6 of 10 - Reckless Femme - This is an ok fragrance. It's striking me as more of a typical designer style. Paying big money for this would be hard to take. It's not bad, but with the choices available, I can't imagine this being a perfume lover's favorite. It smells like an ok, synthetic, floral mall fragrance. Neutral.

Is it appropriately opulent without crossing over into cloying? It mostly works, so it's an upbeat neutral. I wonder if PerfumedLady would like it?

Approximate order of preference through six:

1. Beguiled Femme
    2. Mischief Femme
    3. Enslaved Femme
    4. Vetiver Homme
    5. Reckless Femme
    6. Fetish Homme
    This one though-$315 (per Luckyscent) for a "floral mall fragrance" is likely to p!$$ me off but good. Being able to pay that for a perfume, and feeling inclined to, are two different things. You bet I go harder on houses who price their product aspirationally. However, if it is just that good to me, then no problem.

I wonder if you are feeling a bit similar? Do you feel you didn't get the wow factor that the prices imply?

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I wonder if you are feeling a bit similar? Do you feel you didn't get the wow factor that the prices imply?
    I try not to think about pricing too much. You'd be surprised how vague I am on current retail pricing for different houses. I do know Roja Dove uses aspirational pricing, which can certainly be annoying from a certain point of view, although I'm largely sympathetic with businesses trying what they think will work.

Still, I do have hope going into a new (to me) "luxury" line that it will smell natural, classic, and innovative all at once. So, yes, there's a sense of deflation.

Still, I do have hope going into a new (to me) "luxury" line that it will smell natural, classic, and innovative all at once. So, yes, there's a sense of deflation.
    That's exactly what I'm getting at in regards to luxury pricing; well-put! That extra bit of hope for something special, fair or not, can be sort of built in when one has an idea of price. I generally don't know cost when I sample and I agree, I'm happy this way. In the case of Reckless, I couldn't help it; had to look!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Most of the line I've sampled so far passes muster style-wise, even if the style presented is a bit convoluted and overworked, but the big theme so far with Roja Dove is making something smell "expensive" by emulating the density of antique perfumes such as Shalimar, Chanel No. 5, Habanita, etc. Those perfumes were worn by millionaires in ages past, and even if the styles were more practical (i.e. meant to cover cigarette smoke, open sewage, and unregulated pollution of the day), we still have in our mind's eye a century later that full opacity in perfume equals quality. Roja Dove tugs at those particular strings with most of his creations (save maybe colognes like Elysium), and charges his premium for the experience since yesteryear's millionaires are now this century's billionaires, and that's who he wants flashing his pretty bottles so the rest of us yearn for a taste of the good life. He's the P.T. Barnum of perfume, and that isn't meant as an insult.
    oh look, I have a signature

To be fair, these have all been reformulated/diluted since they were launched, minus Mischief and Beguiled, which are of course discontinued. I know that Reckless Femme used to be a completely different than it is now, like Nuwa.

i have been sampling roja parfums over the past few weeks. im terrible at notes so there will just be general thoughts, impressions and random musings along the way. i havent given all 'full wearings' some of them have just been 1-2 sprays on hand/arm.

in no particular order:

chypre extraordinaire : beautiful floral seems bright and sharp. moderate/good projection and longevity. £1450 for a bottle is definitely extreme but would buy the 7.5 ml discovery atomiser at £115. i really like it so that is acceptable to me. i like florals and it is classy/old school. smells expensive/classy.

musk aoud : nice blend of musk aoud with a sour feel to it , undecided if its quite my thing as im not particularly keen on sour notes. probably wouldnt buy full bottle but probably would buy the discovery atomiser at £60 to wear now and again.

h-the exclusive aoud : doesnt really do anything for me doesnt seem very oudee despiite the name. wouldnt bother with this one-nothing to see here.

goodmans parfum : zesty/fresh,same again doesnt do anything for me, another dont bother

h-the exclusive parfum : quite nice fruity, but not as sharp as some. wouldnt buy full bottle but probably the discovery atomiser at £60

aoud parfum - this is very nice beautifully blended oud and florals. smells quality/expensive. good projection. would buy full bottle 100ml at £595.

amber aoud : another fantastic blend smells quality expensive again. nuclear level projection the best roja parfum for projection that i have sampled. good sillage. peolple notice this one. the smell is abit sharp and may be too strong for some people. definitly full bottle worthy at £595 for 100ml.

sweetie aoud : was sent discovery atomiser as a complimentary when i purchased full bottle of amber aoud. it smells very 'sweet' from the atomiser not particularly my thing but when i gave it a full wearing i got a very strong burnt chocolate smell which i had to scrub off. probably need to give it another go but dont think id bother purchasing.

kingdom of saudi arabia : seems sort of zesty, might consider discovery atomiser at £65 but not a full bottle

united arab emirates : its ok nothing special a few of the gulf collection seem very similar to others . was a bit disappointed with this as the reviews have been raving about this one. might buy discovery atomiser at £65 but not full bottle

kuwait : quite nice this one nicely blended. would probably buy discovery atomiser at £65 but not full bottle

qatar : very similar to others in the gulf range. nothing special seems boring/safe ,wouldnt bother with even a discovery atomiser.

sultanate of oman : quite nice probaly my favourite of the gulf collection.has that similar gulf collection vibe going on but a bit more in variety of notes than the others. wouldnt buy full bottle but probably would buy discovery atomiser at £65

kingdom of bahrain : dont like this one , very spicey, not my thing. wouldnt even consider

haute luxe : this is the best perfume i have smelt in my entire life. yes my exposure will have been very limited compared to others. i have been using attars and ouds since i got into perfumes about 25 years ago and have just recently (past few months) started discovering/using spray-ons. but this is incredble. beautiful floral. fantastic blending. smells/feels luxurious,expensive. gave it a full wearing ,good projection and longevity. among other areas i gave a spray on either side of my neck. the scent became unnoticeable on my skin probably after about 24hours, but i do not lie for the following 4-5 days when i showered and the water would hit my skin and the bathroom would become hot and steamy the bathroom would become enveloped by the smell of haute lux. sounds stupid i know but i do not lie it was incredible. yes the price is ridiculous, if money wasnt a problem it is a definite must buy for me. the discovery atomiser is the only way i could get my fix for this and that would be the route to go down. like i said my experience of perfumes has been/is limited but i would be very surprised if i ever come across anything better or as good as this.

as a whole i think roja parfums are definitely overpriced but the good thing is that with the discovery atomisers you can experience the perfumes. yes the discovery atomisers in their own right are expensive for 7.5ml. i am glad that i have had the opportunity to experience the house and there are few more from the house i hope to try in the future.

sorry again for not being descriptive in the notes etc but hopefully someone might find the above helpful.

Top posting, Abu. I thought the level of detail was spot on.

I have given Haute Luxe a wearing before, from a tester at the shop. To me, it came across as a simple, sweet, ambery fragrance - I missed what I was supposed to be smelling. I believe Basenotes legend Jon Rodgers agrees with you about Haute Luxe.

You've made me curious to try Aoud Parfum and Amber Aoud.

Sample 9 of 10 - Danger Femme. This is a nice iris fragrance, Chanel-esque, somewhat like La Pausa. This is among my favorites from the set.

Dependent

Sample 9 of 10 - Danger Femme. This is a nice iris fragrance, Chanel-esque, somewhat like La Pausa. This is among my favorites from the set.
    This piques my interest. I love and own La Pausa. The 50 ml is more than I ever want to pay for a single bottle of perfume, but this might be fun to sample.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Liz B View Post
    This piques my interest. I love and own La Pausa. The 50 ml is more than I ever want to pay for a single bottle of perfume, but this might be fun to sample.
    It's much more vanilla in the base, so not really so similar. La Pausa came to mind in the opening. Eventually, Danger Femme reveals more of a designer feel, but I like it. Maybe it's somewhat in the ballpark of something like Tom Ford Velvet Orchid. It feels familiar. I like it quite a bit.

Sample 10 of 10 - Danger Homme - This is the Heritage clone. I already struggle with Heritage, so I'm feeling bummed to be wearing a clone of it.

Still, I like it more than the current version Heritage, which I especially struggle with.

The opening is way too sharp and synthetic smelling. I thought I was getting a cumin note, which I do see listed. (Heritage lists coriander). Having gone through that, it does establish a better approximation of the original Heritage than the current version of Heritage.
    Last edited by Bavard; 4th May 2019 at 09:11 PM.

Sample 10 of 10 - Danger Homme - This line saves its best stuff for the women. This is like Axe with cumin.
    That doesn't sound good at all.

It's much more vanilla in the base, so not really so similar. La Pausa came to mind in the opening. Eventually, Danger Femme reveals more of a designer feel, but I like it. Maybe it's somewhat in the ballpark of something like Tom Ford Velvet Orchid. It feels familiar. I like it quite a bit.
    What kind of vanilla? Is it something like Shalimar?

What kind of vanilla? Is it something like Shalimar?
    No, it's a more modern or trendy smell.

That doesn't sound good at all.
    It radiated like a body spray in the opening, and had a cumin / body odor type note. This effect burned off quickly, and it became a convincing vintage Heritage clone.

I struggle with the Roja Dove naming - I can never remember them.

The Bel Ami tribute is called Fetish. Was the leather note meant to be kinky?

The Heritage clone is called Danger. Why? They at least both have g's.

@ZealotCrusader. Spot on observation on the ‘density’ factor. It’s a construction style popular in the 70s and 80s iirc though Roja seems to have toned it down to cater to current tastes and prevalent climate on fragrancewear.

Incisive post btw, @Abu. You probably saved me $$$. That’s also the route I’ve taken, with travel sizes. My wardrobe is already extensive - I don’t need 50 ml of anything. I’m with you on Sultanate of Oman. And I’m deliberately avoiding Haute Luxe as I fear the temptation may prove too great for me to resist...

I struggle with the Roja Dove naming - I can never remember them.

The Bel Ami tribute is called Fetish. Was the leather note meant to be kinky?

The Heritage clone is called Danger. Why? They at least both have g's.
    I read somewhere about Roja ‘calling dibs’ on these evocative/ innuendo-laden names, registering them(?) for his fragrances. I suppose in the old tradition of Lanvin’s My Sin or Schiaparelli Shocking?
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast