Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

Well, now I know where the horrible, oppressive rancid butter/polysantol-like note I've been getting wafts of has been coming from. And I see what Danger Homme has in common with Danger Femme. Both are dupes of better scents, both by Guerlain.

Dear God, why would anyone in this day and age try to replicate Samsara? The lack of Mysore sandalwood is glaring. This thing is rough.

It's white floral like Samsara (heavy on ylang), spicy (clove) like Samsara and loud like Samsara. But this, sir, is no Samsara. It smells so close, just as obvious as Danger Homme's relation to Heritage. Unlike Danger Homme, I find this FAR inferior to its inspiration. The flowers and spices are right. The woods are just all sorts of wrong. The sandalwood chems used here are obnoxious. Samsara uses synthetics too but somehow does it with more finesse.

Not only is it nowhere near as good as vintage Samsara, it isn't even as good as the current. No way would I recommend this when Guerlain is already doing it so much better. Danger is in danger of being scrubbed.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Danger is in danger of being scrubbed.
    That's a handy mnemonic!

The "woods" they're using in Danger Femme are within my tolerance. I only know one version of Samsara, an old edt or edp, I can't remember which it was. Now that you mention it, I do see a connection.

I love the conviction in your smelling notes, such a nice read!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I love the conviction in your smelling notes, such a nice read!
    It is actually nice to have a reason to get worked up! For those like us who smell lots of things, most are going to be firmly in middling to "meh" territory. Strong reactions, both positive and negative, are just more fun! For reading, that is. Can't say that I smell fun right now, lol!

Just went back a page, love the card holder! Great for sample passes and in-store sniffs both. This is something I need in my life; thanks for sharing!

Basenotes Plus

For those like us who smell lots of things, most are going to be firmly in middling to "meh" territory. Strong reactions, both positive and negative, are just more fun! For reading, that is.
    And you learn more from them, too. Especially the bad ones.

"I knew Samsara. Samsara was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Samsara."

(with apologies to everyone under 45)

^ I'm 45 on the nose, as of last November -and yes that little exchange was on my mind this morning! Senator Danger has officially been recalled via the scrub-a-dub process.

I did stick it out a little bit with Danger; I think I find it closest to current Samsara EdP. Still, Guerlain executes the idea better for my nose, even in modern times. Samsara is the sort of scent that if you're going to imitate it, you better nail it (the vintage incarnation, otherwise there's no point in a clone at all). It's so singular, and in its day, I'm guessing a pretty expensive formula. Danger did give me a renewed respect for current Samsara. It surely would have been just as easy to ax it as it was to work around the Mysore restrictions. But thankfully, they made it work, and did a great job of it. Happy things like this help me ignore some of Guerlain's (LVMH, really) more disappointing nonsense.

Basenotes Plus

Fetish Pour Homme - Roja Dove

This scent triggered a minor psychological crisis in me. Much ruminating ensued.

TL;DR -- Very beautiful fragrance, but wear only if you would also be comfortable wearing one of these outfits. In this setting.

QueenElizabeth+Anne+William_OrderOfTheThistle.jpg

I was so intrigued by this scent that I wore it twice over three days. The first time, alerted by the nuclear blast coming from the nozzle, I didn't even spray it; I just dabbed on a tiny smear using the sprayer tube as a wand. And it still lasted 18 hours on me.

The second time, I decided to do a comparison test, since every single BN review of Fetish mentions Bel Ami, Moschino Pour Homme, and Puredistance M (the latter also a Roja Dove creation, which predated Fetish by only two years). As it happens, I have samples of all these scents, thanks to the vintage mavens of Basenotes.

There's no question that Fetish and M are very, very close relations. Thick saddle-type leather, pronounced animalia bordering on sweaty, dark smoky spices (cinnamon, cardamom), a bold citrus opening and a musky resinous ending. Why do I much prefer M to Fetish? Because its citrus is far more buoyant and endures far longer, and the vetiver in its later stages is more grassy, less smoky, than in Fetish. M is a crisp oxford shirt and Italian loafers; Fetish is a floor-length velvet cloak and monogrammed slippers.

And why do I prefer both Bel Ami and Moschino Pour Homme to Fetish and M? Because they both strip all the stodgy, ponderous elements out of those same accords and render them as something that could be worn by a vivacious human being, and not just by some overstuffed pedant vegetating in his wingback chair while butlers cater to his every whim. Bel Ami and Moschino take M's oxford shirt and untuck it.

All of which led me to spend 48 hours wondering about why these big, opulent, ultra-elegant scents annoy me so much. Most of the Amouages, many Ormonde Jaynes (especially Black Gold), several Lutens, even a few feminine Guerlains... they smell to me like their price is as much on display as their odor. Could it be some reverse-snobbism related to my blue collar family background? Maybe. Is it some protective reaction to keep me from desiring something so far beyond my financial means? Also maybe. But mostly I think it's because, as I mentioned in a sample pass a while ago, I lack some aspirational gene that would make me want to emulate or admire the social class at whom these products are aimed.

Riveting! So you have no interest in, say, powdered wigs?

Basenotes Plus

So you have no interest in, say, powdered wigs?
    Well... maybe if it was paired with a mariniere shirt....

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Well... maybe if it was paired with a mariniere shirt....
    Obviously, the only way to pull off a powdered wig.

Enjoying your reviews, Cook.bot! I did not take the TL;DR option on Fetish and I'm glad. No it doesn't sound like it's for me but a great read all the same. I've had very little luck with Amouage myself; have only genuinely liked wearing a couple of them. Not being an Amouage fan is lonely around here but now I know I'm not totally alone. Pricing aside, I do consider Guerlain to be about as far into real opulence as I can go and still feel like myself. But then, Guerlain was always a "bad girl" house to my female elders. No wonder I was intrigued.

Reckless Femme-bright orange, sunny citruses and syrupy peach*, jasmine and orange blossom over lightly spiced marshmallows. Very sweet, dense and gourmand, something like Guerlain's Mon Precieux Nectar. And yet again, I'd prefer the Guerlain; its composition is smoother-wearing for me. There's something I don't care for in Reckless' base, something like lightly spoilt milk. Also reminds me of By Kilian's general style regarding white florals and gourmands. The jasmine is outstanding-natural in feel, sweet but with plenty of lift. I can appreciate the quality of florals here, certainly. But wow, is this nothing special. Bavard said "mall scent" and I agree. I can and do wear some mall scents but this one is a bit more loud and sweet than I usually go for, so not really one to suit my personal tastes. I would definitely recommend a sniff to Kilian fans though, as well as jasmine fiends who enjoy sweet gourmands.

* "Syrupy peach" is not an insult coming from me. I LOVE syrupy peach but realize some do not. Those folks will want to avoid this one!

Reckless Femme . . . wow, is this nothing special.
    I agree. Because of the pricing, this one is somewhat comical.

I haven’t smelled any of these as I have no interest in Roja Dove currently, although I did years ago. I still own Lilac extrait, Unspoken and Enslaved. Sold off Aoud as I found it phenomenally boring. The Unspoken and Enslaved were gifts. They are big dense florals, something I don’t wear too often any more, but I can still appreciate them when I’m in the mood. I do love Amouage and Guerlain, not much of a Chanel fan. I think I might enjoy Reckless, but would never buy it.

I agree. Because of the pricing, this one is somewhat comical.
    I'm overwhelmed at how underwhelming it is. Pretty, yes- but I think there are prettier scents in this style.

Lilac does sound like something special to me; do you love it, caz?

Guerlain is my most-owned house and it really does seem logical that Amouage should appeal to Guerlainophiles. It must be true for many but I've never been able to wear Amouage with the ease I have with Guerlain. Guerlain just feels more relaxed to me, somehow. I can't deny Amouage's quality though and think their feminine Dia is one of the finest floral aldehydes in production. Sometimes I do think I "need" that one, even if I didn't wear it often (I don't. I don't need any perfume).

No, I don’t love the Lilac - it seems a bit too sharp and green. I have never yet found a perfume that makes me swoon the way the real thing does.

Oh, and even though I enjoy Amouage a lot, I definitely find Guerlain an easier wear.

Not only is it nowhere near as good as vintage Samsara, it isn't even as good as the current.
    Nothing comes close to vintage Samsara. Guerlain pulled that one right out of a fairy tale.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Thank you, caz! I sort of regretted not looking into Lilac at the time, but not so much now. I do find most lilac perfumes either too green or too soapy to be realistic. I don't always need or want realism but find it a must for lilacs. You took the words out of my mouth; I think I'm finally accepting that only real lilacs will do for my nose. Same goes for peonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Nothing comes close to vintage Samsara. Guerlain pulled that one right out of a fairy tale.
    If this were a legal document, I'd sign it! Lovely way to put it!

Not to go too far off topic but Samsara owners, take note- we now have parfum, EdP and EdT listed separately in the directory! Now we can take Samsara obsession to new heights!

Thank you, caz! I sort of regretted not looking into Lilac at the time, but not so much now. I do find most lilac perfumes either too green or too soapy to be realistic. You took the words out of my mouth; I think I'm finally accepting that only real lilacs will do for my nose. Same goes for peonies.

If this were a legal document, I'd sign it! Lovely way to put it!

Not to go too far off topic but Samsara owners, take note- we now have parfum, EdP and EdT listed separately in the directory! Now we can take Samsara obsession to new heights!
    Discussing Samsara couldn't be more on topic. I liked Danger Femme, and I had a bottle of Samsara in the house once upon a time, a vintage edt or edp, I can't remember, and I didn't like it that much. But now I'm persuaded to give it another try, maybe one of the 93-ml bottles. I like those. Are the 93-ml bottles still in production? It would be lucky if they were all delicious vintage. Samsara in a 93-ml seems vintage to me - not something I see often.

Also, now that I have some of this soap, I'm reminded of Samsara.

AF408F02-54E2-4302-87A7-6A839B813D72.jpg

Update: Something like this! I see there are some more recent 93-ml bottles of Samsara. It's good to have the box in the picture. The black square on the box gives me a comforting feeling of vintage. Someone was selling one of these refills for $60. That seemed fair.

Samsara.jpg

Not sure about those refill bottles, Bavard. My guess would be that they are not currently producing them but again, only a guess.

The regular (red) bottles are among the easiest vintages to spot, though. Originally, and up until reformulation, the lettering was all butted up against itself. Post-reform bottles, the lettering is more spaced out. An approximate example:

SAMSARA- Vintage, with Mysore
    S A M S A R A- More recent

That soap looks delicious! How beautiful!

Not sure about those refill bottles, Bavard. My guess would be that they are not currently producing them but again, only a guess.

The regular (red) bottles are among the easiest vintages to spot, though. Originally, and up until reformulation, the lettering was all butted up against itself. Post-reform bottles, the lettering is more spaced out. An approximate example:

SAMSARA- Vintage, with Mysore
    S A M S A R A- More recent

That soap looks delicious! How beautiful!
    The soap is an Epasiou tip. Worth a search, perhaps.

I love the trick with the letter spacing. Thanks!

That Samsara refill is perfect! That's the lettering style you're looking for on the box. Refill bottles do not always come with their box, of course, which then makes it more difficult. As long as you can see the box to be sure of vintage, I'd agree that price is fair.

Mysore Sandal soap is on Amazon, yay! And they sell it in bulk packages, too!

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I haven’t smelled any of these as I have no interest in Roja Dove currently, although I did years ago. I still own Lilac extrait, Unspoken and Enslaved. Sold off Aoud as I found it phenomenally boring. The Unspoken and Enslaved were gifts. They are big dense florals, something I don’t wear too often any more, but I can still appreciate them when I’m in the mood. I do love Amouage and Guerlain, not much of a Chanel fan. I think I might enjoy Reckless, but would never buy it.
    Enslaved Femme is one of the 10.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4