Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    So you are making me do all the dirty work .
    If you do the dirty work and I handle diplomacy, together we can dominate the world. Like Ren & Stimpy.

As I was putting Danger Femme in the bubble baggie, my only thought was "oh he's definitely gonna know that's not sandalwood". Yep.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    If you do the dirty work and I handle diplomacy, together we can dominate the world. Like Ren & Stimpy.

As I was putting Danger Femme in the bubble baggie, my only thought was "oh he's definitely gonna know that's not sandalwood". Yep.
    You know me too well.
    Tried Beguiled Femme.
    A subset of Danger Femme but a good subset.
    So he took Jasmine, Iris, musk and some SW AC from Danger Femme and made this. Left out the nuclear synthetic accords and consequently a better clone of Samsara.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 11th June 2019 at 02:03 AM. Reason: got names mixed up.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Creation-E Femme was the most forgettable for me. I thought it was like a Calvin Klein. PerfumedLady pegged it for a clone of Lancome Tresor.

It wasn't bad (I don't mind Calvin Klein).

Freed from BN Institution

Got the samples. Thanks PL.
    As many of you know, I am not a big fan of Roger. I find him tacky and his perfumes derivative.
    Therefore, I wanted to make sure I enter this smelling with an open mind.
    I started with Danger PH and it was like Heritage. So I did a blind test.

2 strips - one with Danger and one with Heritage. I asked my wife to spray and label A&B so I do not know which one is which.
    Another trick I used was to see which one is better is to smell the strip A and immediately smell B. When you do that you only smell stuff that is in B but not A cause of temporary olfactory fatigue. I read about this trick in an interview (Ellena I think).

Here are the results:
    Heritage is much better than Danger. The only thing I could smell in Danger that is not in Heritage is Cumin and laundry musk. OTH if you take away from Heritage all the stuff Danger has you are still left with a decent fragrance - guerlinade+coriander+something oriental.
    tl;dr : Save you rmoney and buy Heritage
    That's very assuring to hear. I feel a lot better with my decision choosing not to not fall down into the Roja Dove hole. A little bit more spending funds to invest in other more affordable bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

1 quite like danger pour homme,im not saying its the greatest thing on the planet but it is ok,especially if you can find it at a discounted price,wouldnt buy at full retail price. havent tried heritage so cant compare.
    Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) used to come to our house and there was perspiration upon his body. My mother brought a bottle and began to pour the sweat in that. When Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) got up he said:

Umm Sulaim, what is this that you are doing? Thereupon she said: That is your sweat which we mix in our perfume and it becomes the most fragrant perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    I quite like danger pour homme
    When it works, it works. I'm often recommending Chanel Platinum Egoiste between two posts that specify "(not platinum)."

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Creation-E Femme was the most forgettable for me. I thought it was like a Calvin Klein. PerfumedLady pegged it for a clone of Lancome Tresor.

It wasn't bad (I don't mind Calvin Klein).
    This makes sense to me; I can see Tresor's handling of fruits as a predecessor to Euphoria and the like. I don't mind CK either (though I don't like Euphoria, unsurprisingly), they've released some fine scents over the years. My husband still wears ckOne often; they do have their classics.

N.Cal, none of my group of Rojas said "N.Cal" to me at all! Nothing I'd recommend you in that bunch. For something different to explore, I think you're on a better track with classic Dior.

abu abdullaah- while I prefer Heritage, I did enjoy Danger Homme. It's an unusual, distinctive (in good way) smell and other than Heritage, I can't say I know of anything that smells like it. I think you're bound to smell unique when you wear Danger and that alone is worth some bonus points.

epapsiou has started with what I thought were the worst two feminines. I hope you find it gets a little better from here!

Always be smelling

Reckless Femme:
    Orange Blossoms, Jasmine and musk. Plus something sweet at back.
    Not bad.
    Anyone know what is this a clone of ?

^epap, I'm not sure if that one's a direct clone of anything, or if it's simply a riff on the currently popular white floral/sweet gourmand style. It reminded me most of Guerlain's Mon Precieux Nectar.

Always be smelling

Creation E:
    Bavard and PL were on the money with this. A typical mall scent. A nicely done mall scent. There is a nice (rasp/straw) berry candy accord here along with rose + some vanilla for sweetness.

Reckless Femme:
    Orange Blossoms, Jasmine and musk. Plus something sweet at back.
    Not bad.
    Anyone know what is this a clone of ?
    I've not tried either version of Reckless femme myself, but the original formulation supposedly smells like Houbigant - Quelques Fleurs, while the newer formula smells like Le Plus Beau Jour de Ma Vie by Guerlain.

Basenotes Plus

I mailed off my five samples to Epapsiou, even though I hadn't yet made notes on the last two.

I'm sorry, Bavard. I failed. I just didn't have the stomach to go on. And since one of them was "Enslaved", I figured with a name that fraught it couldn't possibly bode well.

That is unfortunate naming given the circumstances. Best to ship them off then. It sounds like the house is in scrubber territory for you.

Basenotes Plus

It sounds like the house is in scrubber territory for you.
    Well, there was the one bright spot of Vetiver Homme, which I liked quite a lot. And it seems presumptuous to write off an entire house on the basis of just 3 samples, but I think the whole ethos of the house is just wrong for me, as is its reliance on "opulence" to define its scents. I just don't do opulence very well.

But I still appreciated you letting me try!

Basenotes Plus

That is unfortunate naming given the circumstances.
    And I just learned there's a Roja named "Oligarch". I wonder if he thinks these names are amusing? Why not go all the way and call one "Numbered Bank Account in the Caymans"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    And I just learned there's a Roja named "Oligarch". I wonder if he thinks these names are amusing? Why not go all the way and call one "Numbered Bank Account in the Caymans"?
    Not amused. Dove could be recreating Djedi and I still wouldn't buy it...

If he admires classic perfumery as much as he says he does, you'd think he would have more respect for the art of it, rather than all of this unholy shilling.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    If he admires classic perfumery as much as he says he does, you'd think he would have more respect for the art of it, rather than all of this unholy shilling.
    While his penchant for cringeworthy fragrance names is indeed questionable, he’s going to run out of them before too long. More recent ones aren’t particularly teeth-baring e.g. Midsummer Dream, A Mother’s Kiss, Elysium, etc. Been enjoying Midsummer Dream lately but it doesn’t last very long on skin with 3-4 sprays...
    ...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty. - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Always be smelling

Got the samples. Thanks CB
    Vetiver Homme:
    Again a Guerlain homage. Execution is a bit modern and sits somewhere between Guerlain and Ford's Grey Vetiver.
    Nothing special. There are better vetivers - Guerlain, Diptyque, Carven.
    One thing though, this one has good longevity. Took a shower and still is potent. And that is just with one spray.

Always be smelling

Fetish Homme:

Hermes BelAmi clone for more than twice the price of shaker bottle. Why would anyone buy this is beyond me.

Fetish Homme:

Hermes BelAmi clone for more than twice the price of shaker bottle. Why would anyone buy this is beyond me.
    Cook.bot packed it in after that one. Pretty harsh.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    There's such a strain of cynicism running through the whole enterprise, from the naming, to the fragrances themselves, to the pricing. It's depressing.

Vetiver Homme:
    One thing though, this one has good longevity. Took a shower and still is potent. And that is just with one spray.
    Yes, it was surprising to see a vetiver have that kind of durability. And I liked the smell of it more than you did, apparently.

I thought it was more similar to Puredistance M. Which is weird, because it's like Roja cloning himself.

Always be smelling

Cook.bot packed it in after that one. Pretty harsh.

I am holding back here. Trust me.
    I tried to start this sampling with an open mind but boy does he rub me the wrong way .

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I tried to start this sampling with an open mind but boy does he rub me the wrong way .
    I've been as fair as I can be in reviews, but I honestly feel like I could have been a lot meaner in light of the shilling and cynicism. It's basically Tom Ford's reinvention gimmick with Creed's fake pedigree mixed together and given a shot of steroids.

If Roja himself wasn't so entertaining to watch I'd actually be able to hate him, but as it is, I just find his whole venture a strange mixture of amusingly campy and irritatingly pretentious.
    oh look, I have a signature

Between two pine trees

Default Roja Dove Sampling

This is one of the outstanding threads of 2019. Thank you all for an educating and entertaining read!

I’ve sampled most of the Roja Dove feminines from Osswald and come away utterly underwhelmed and puzzled, with the sense that I’d missed a backstory to the fragrances. That so many RD fragrances are tributes to/dupes of Guerlains totally explains it. I have never been able to wear (and still can’t) a single Guerlain. I’ve given up, which I’ve accepted and only occasionally feel a tad defensive about

I always learn something new from the participants in this thread, and this time, it was Guerlain references and the confirmation that others find the RD enterprise as shameless and undeserving as I do.

With 2 notable exceptions: the opening hour of Diaghliev is glorious. But it’s too fleeting and the dry-down is a disappointment; it loses all of its depth and structure. Had those glorious animalic notes lasted all the way through, I’d have a real crisis of principle to wrestle with. To the extent I need an occasional fix, the 7.5ml discovery spray will do the trick, thank goodness. I feel much better about having instead shelled out the ducats for a bottle of MAAI, which lasts and lasts and keeps its structure throughout.

I also confess to really loving M. Because the pricing isn’t quite as outrageous and because I can get it for a bit less if I order it from Essenza Nobile or Aus Liebe Zum Duft, I will probably be getting a full bottle of that in the near future.

Total side note: PerfumedLady, as soon as you described the annoying woods as “itchy and scratchy,” I immediately wondered if you had been a Ren & Stimpy fan back in the day. I have my answer. And there’s yet another reason I love you.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Thank you for your posts; I haven't tried many from Roja. I have Enigma pour Homme EdP and Fetish pH EdP. I don't have Fetish pH with me, might get it soon. As for Enigma pH EdP, I don't think I've worn it because I have a small decant of Enigma pH Parfum, and I wear that because I want to finish it off first. I think it's nice, a different sort of oriental relative to others with the boozy-cognac notes developing well into the mid-phases and then a non-animalic but sensuous musk supporting it well into the drydown. There's a spicy-sweet accord in here that reminds me of sweet paan (it isn't exactly a paan accord, and this is more evocative than an actual scent profile), and something oddly familiar (scents from my past having grown up in Calcutta), maybe connected to some festivities.

@ExtremeK - thanks for the post on Diaghilev, I haven't tried that one and it's been on my to-try list for a while, and I really like MAAI.

I really love M.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Dang it, freewheeling, I really try my best to avoid snark. But you, my dear, are testing my limits with those pics. I remember the sparkly black jacket from another thread; still don't like. Not that the blue is an improvement.

Lol, ExtremeK! It makes me equally happy that you get my goofy references!

I have samples of many and went back to try them recently while staying in touch with this thread. I’ve found that after Enigma, Amber Aoud, Goodman’s, and UAE.....then there is a huge drop off for me! I love those 4, but my other 10-12 samples I find soooo underwhelming. Usually with other houses I experience a closer variance in how much I like or dislike the frags......but Roja has bucked that trend for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    I have samples of many and went back to try them recently while staying in touch with this thread. I’ve found that after Enigma, Amber Aoud, Goodman’s, and UAE.....then there is a huge drop off for me! I love those 4, but my other 10-12 samples I find soooo underwhelming. Usually with other houses I experience a closer variance in how much I like or dislike the frags......but Roja has bucked that trend for me.
    They have so many fragrances. Some of my favorites from this set are ones I hadn't heard of. From this set of 10, other than Creation-E Homme, which ones do you know well?

They have so many fragrances. Some of my favorites from this set are ones I hadn't heard of. From this set of 10, other than Creation-E Homme, which ones do you know well?
    Enslaved, Danger, and Reckless are ones I’ve tried from these 10, besides Enigma. None of them I found interesting, and in many I find a baby wipe type smell that I can’t get past. I have not tried any of the Pour Femme offerings.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast