Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 223
  1. #1
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Roja Dove Sampling

    Using the Osswald sampling service, I'm planning to sample some of the Roja Dove fragrances they carry. It's a notable line for making expensive clone scents. Sampling them in the shop, they have fallen short for me, but trusted Basenoters such as Hedonist222, drseid, and MrsDalloway like some of their fragrances, so I want to try some full wearings.

    I don't have a list of what I ordered. I think there were six women's fragrances and four men's fragrances.

  2. #2
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Did you get any of the following:
    Vetiver
    Danger Pour Homme Parfum
    Fetish Pour Homme Parfum
    Diaghilev
    Amber Aoud
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  3. #3
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Did you get any of the following:
    Vetiver
    Danger Pour Homme Parfum
    Fetish Pour Homme Parfum
    Diaghilev
    Amber Aoud
    Vetiver, Danger, and Fetish, yes, I think. Diaghilev and Amber Oud no.

    There might have been Enslaved Pour Femme.

  4. #4
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Vetiver, Danger, and Fetish, yes, I think. Diaghilev and Amber Oud no.

    There might have been Enslaved Pour Femme.
    Enigma, and the recent bottle Elysium.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  5. #5
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Enigma, and the recent bottle Elysium.
    I suppose Enigma is now Creation-E? I think that's the 4th men's one. Elysium is one that's out of stock.

  6. #6
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I suppose Enigma is now Creation-E? I think that's the 4th men's one. Elysium is one that's out of stock.
    That's the one

    The pricing is very concerning. Some bottles go into the thousands range and even Xerjoff doesn't go that high up.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  7. #7
    Basenotes Junkie Hat and Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Vetiver, Danger, and Fetish, yes, I think. Diaghilev and Amber Oud no.

    There might have been Enslaved Pour Femme.
    If memory serves me correctly, Diaghilev was one of the better ones I've tried. That being said, it is a very heavy fragrance. Or at least I remember it being when I'd tried it on my skin a couple years ago. I also remember thinking Sultanate of Oman was pretty nice as well as Musk Aoud and Amber Aoud. Osswald made me samples of the "Absolue Precieux" versions of the two Aouds and I still have the tiniest bit left.

  8. #8
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Hat and Beard View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, Diaghilev was one of the better ones I've tried. That being said, it is a very heavy fragrance. Or at least I remember it being when I'd tried it on my skin a couple years ago. I also remember thinking Sultanate of Oman was pretty nice as well as Musk Aoud and Amber Aoud. Osswald made me samples of the "Absolue Precieux" versions of the two Aouds and I still have the tiniest bit left.
    I also remember Diaghilev being interesting. Great Britain seemed promising too. Neither of those were available. I went with what they have, including some I haven't seen discussed.

  9. #9
    Dependent Cheetah1919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    I splurged to get Creation E, and would love to hear your sampling thoughts!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    I love the Osswald's people and have made several purchases from them. Beverly Hills Perfumery carries a more extensive line of Roja Dove fragrances and their spray samples are equal to the best I've seen from anyone at anytime in perfume. Check them out.

  11. #11
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I love the Osswald's people and have made several purchases from them. Beverly Hills Perfumery carries a more extensive line of Roja Dove fragrances and their spray samples are equal to the best I've seen from anyone at anytime in perfume. Check them out.
    Beverly Hills Perfumery sounds nice. Thanks for the tip!

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14,426

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Oh how timely. I have 4 travel sprays enroute directly from Roja Parfums. Perhaps some of them might be among your 10.

    Diaghilev
    Great Britain
    Sultanate of Oman
    A Midsummer’s Dream
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

  13. #13
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    282,378

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

    I don't have a list of what I ordered. I think there were six women's fragrances and four men's fragrances.
    That should hold you for a while.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  14. #14
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Shipping time was excellent. The package smells surprisingly synthetic, increasing my doubts.

    A0EC85DC-7DE9-4FF1-846A-EF8C6D3D1338.jpg

    I got things in the three to five hundred dollar range, and skipped the ones that were $1,000+.

    Can they make decent stuff in that budget?

    Let's try Mischief Femme.

    It's quite ok. It just smells like normal perfume. It's a nice white floral. It's like a classic women's Dior. I would consider those long and hard before going for a Roja. This smells like it has a kind of rotten fruit note. Thumbs up because I love the style. It has a loud floral note I like. I wouldn't recommend it for people who don't like white flowers. I like them more all the time.

    I might want to send this one to Cook.bot to try.

    This is a really well done floral. Top marks.
    Last edited by Bavard; 29th April 2019 at 09:15 PM.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,107

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    This smells like it has a kind of rotten fruit note. Thumbs up because I love the style.
    I might want to send this one to Cook.bot to try.
    Cook.bot is smiling and steepling her fingers like Mr. Burns.

    I can haz rotten fruits.

  16. #16
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Cook.bot is smiling and steepling her fingers like Mr. Burns.
    I'll keep sampling to see if any others might be of interest before I ship. I don't want to oppress you with all 10 unless you're sure you're up for it.

    Mischief is a little in the style of one of the Frederic Malles, maybe Parfum de Therese, maybe Une Fleur de Cassie - I can't remember exactly. I'm also thinking of Patou fragrances like Joy or 1000.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tracks, Wrong Side of
    Posts
    5,107

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'll keep sampling to see if any others might be of interest before I ship. I don't want to oppress you with all 10 unless you're sure you're up for it.
    I have a premonition that neither you nor I will be crazy about all of these -- but we're about due for a swap anyway. I've got several vintage/new things for you to try since our last time.

    maybe Parfum de Therese
    I'm also thinking of Patou fragrances like ....1000.
    Now you have my full attention again. Keep going, and I'll keep reading!

  18. #18
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Now you have my full attention again. Keep going, and I'll keep reading!
    I'm not sure you'll like Mischief, but it's the kind of thing I need your thoughts on. Maybe it's too soapy and polite for you.

    I can do one more for the night, Enslaved Femme. This is a loud stinker. Wow. I like it too. I can't place the note, but it smells like a loud natural. It also has some edgy fruit, so it has to go in the package to Cook.bot. Someone better at this should be able to name the main note right away. The fruit is pear, a really nice note. Maybe that's the whole smell, but I feel like pear is a minor part of a bigger accord with a loud flower in the middle. This one goes in for the stink in the same way something from Gardoni or Fazzolari might - it's bringing those two to mind - but I like this more than most of their stuff, although I like Au Dela Narcisse and MAAI. It has an animalic smell. I'm fairly impressed. Another thumbs up, two for two.

    Neither of these are ones I'd tried in the shop because I hadn't remembered seeing them mentioned. I really stumbled onto samples by process of elimination - the first ten I could find available from Osswald that weren't more than around $500 a bottle.

    Purecaramel would like these first two, I'm fairly sure.

    Enslaved smells like a civet fragrance to me, in a good way.

    I'd give these each an A-. They're somewhat forgettable in the bases, but they are ambitious efforts with great moments in the mids.

  19. #19
    Dependent Cheetah1919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Can’t quite see the whole word on some. Is there Creation E (homme and femme)?
    Reckless??

  20. #20
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Cook.bot is smiling and steepling her fingers like Mr. Burns.

    I can haz rotten fruits.
    Be careful what you wish for. There's always that small chance of getting hooked.

    Never tried any Rojas myself despite reading up on a number of them.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  21. #21
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Shipping time was excellent. The package smells surprisingly synthetic, increasing my doubts.

    A0EC85DC-7DE9-4FF1-846A-EF8C6D3D1338.jpg

    I got things in the three to five hundred dollar range, and skipped the ones that were $1,000+.

    Can they make decent stuff in that budget?

    Let's try Mischief Femme.

    It's quite ok. It just smells like normal perfume. It's a nice white floral. It's like a classic women's Dior. I would consider those long and hard before going for a Roja. This smells like it has a kind of rotten fruit note. Thumbs up because I love the style. It has a loud floral note I like. I wouldn't recommend it for people who don't like white flowers. I like them more all the time.

    I might want to send this one to Cook.bot to try.

    This is a really well done floral. Top marks.
    Interested in hearing your thoughts on the masculine ones.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  22. #22
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    Can’t quite see the whole word on some. Is there Creation E (homme and femme)?
    Reckless??
    Both versions of Creation-E and Reckless Femme.

  23. #23
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Oh how timely. I have 4 travel sprays enroute directly from Roja Parfums. Perhaps some of them might be among your 10.

    Diaghilev
    Great Britain
    Sultanate of Oman
    A Midsummer’s Dream
    I’m interested to try these. None of them are in the package I have. I might have to look into a second round.

  24. #24
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Sample 3 of 10 - Beguiled Femme. A nice rose and iris, or is it jasmine and violet? This is in the ballpark of something such as 31 Rue Cambon and 1932, I think. There's a heavy dollop of syrup on top. It could almost read as artificial, but I think it's just a strong floral.

    This is more like the first sample, Mischief, than Enslaved. There's something in the Chanel Les Exlusifs mold with Beguiled, but maybe not done quite as well. But close. I could almost give this a neutral, even if it feels competent. Maybe it's Chanel Boy that it's reminding me of.

    PerfumedLady might like this one. I might start a second care package.

    As I give this more time, it's a thumbs up. So yummy. It's like the floral part of Chanel Cuir de Russie. The supporting structure holding this up smells light on fixatives, which I like. I think the perfume fades more quickly, but in exchange smells better and more natural.

    I think Chanel did something similar in the change from the edts to the edps of Les Exclusifs, and in the reformulation of Edition Blanche to edp - they ditched fixatives, or at least noticeable ones, and they're just sacrificing longevity. I think I like it better this way, although I liked the base fixatives Chanel used (yum).

    Nevermind about this smelling natural. I'm getting a load of laundry musks, sort of Frederic Malle style, in the sillage of this. Chanel just went crazy with musks with 1957, musks are the whole thing.
    Last edited by Bavard; 30th April 2019 at 04:30 PM.

  25. #25
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I’m interested to try these. None of them are in the package I have. I might have to look into a second round.
    Add Amber Aoud, Musk Aoud, Scandal Pour Homme, Elysium, Kingdom Of Britain, Kuwait, Kingdom of Saudia Arabia, Sultane of Oman Aoud, Kingdom of Bahrain Aoud, Quatar Aoud.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  26. #26
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Add Amber Aoud, Musk Aoud, Scandal Pour Homme, Elysium, Kingdom Of Britain, Kuwait, Kingdom of Saudia Arabia, Sultane of Oman Aoud, Kingdom of Bahrain Aoud, Quatar Aoud.
    I could look into it, maybe. If Osswald has them, for sure. I've been so happy with them. I looked at Beverly Hills Perfumery, and they also have several, but their sample prices can be a little higher.

  27. #27
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I could look into it, maybe. If Osswald has them, for sure. I've been so happy with them. I looked at Beverly Hills Perfumery, and they also have several, but their sample prices can be a little higher.
    The bottle prices though aren't that expensive compared to some of their other offerings. A good number of them are $550.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  28. #28
    Dependent Cheetah1919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Add Amber Aoud, Musk Aoud, Scandal Pour Homme, Elysium, Kingdom Of Britain, Kuwait, Kingdom of Saudia Arabia, Sultane of Oman Aoud, Kingdom of Bahrain Aoud, Quatar Aoud.
    I would definitely try the aouds, some of my favorites!

  29. #29
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Sample 4 of 10 - Fetish Homme - Synthetic spicy oriental leather, a little like Epic Man. I don’t really like it. I don’t hate it, and it smells like a sincere effort, but I find it cloying, a sweet, chemical mess, with burnt/smoky leather. Thumbs down, maybe neutral.

    The spices are a little like an Hermès, so I’m going to put this one in with cook.bot’s.

    It gets better. The opening isn’t great, but the idea for a spicy, smoky leather mostly comes off, but then it’s too sickly sweet again, almost like Arso.

    The sweetness dies down as it develops, and it gets much better. I can see comparisons to Bel Ami, but more like crossed with Epic Man. It easily earns a neutral in the end.

    It reminds me of Halston Z-14 in the deep base. I don't really like it.
    Last edited by Bavard; 1st May 2019 at 01:21 PM.

  30. #30
    Dependent
    Liz B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,097

    Default Re: Roja Dove Sampling

    Good thread. I like reading your thoughts. This is a brand I haven't bothered to try because of the price points. The thread reminded me that sampling and decants can be just as fun as a fb.

    I think Une Fleur de Cassie is probably the FM you were thinking of.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk




Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. roja dove united Arab Emirates and roja dove caps
    By joev in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd November 2017, 12:47 AM
  2. Elysium - new fragrance from Roja Parfums / Roja Dove
    By Foxonfluids in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 14th November 2017, 06:26 PM
  3. Roja Dove / Roja Parfums Diaghilev & Amber Aoud Partials
    By jaymes in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th June 2015, 12:04 PM
  4. Roja Dove Reckless Pour Homme and Roja Dove's Goodmans
    By litworth in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2nd April 2015, 05:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000