Code of Conduct

Default The "vintage clone" thread !

I just bought a lot of really old bottles that included Magnum (not by Cuba) and Loreste. The Magnum bottle is nearly identical to Quorum and the Loreste is very close to Drakkar Noir, and that's what they smell like, respectively. In fact, Magnum goes easy on the lavender, so some might prefer it to vintage Quorum. I'd like people to list really old "clone" type fragrances here, and that would include things like the similarity of Chevignon to Polo, for example. Let's see what you've got!

UPDATE: I wore Magnum normally today and I'm getting a cross between Quorum and Sung Homme, which sort of tames the harshness of both, and it's quite good overall, so this is one I think more than a few vitnage fans would enjoy!
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st May 2019 at 08:57 PM.

Always be smelling

Default Re: The "vintage clone" thread !

Men's Classic to Polo.
    Lomani to Drakkar Noir
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Avon American Classic (1986) was their Polo take from what others say. It's relatively hard to come by for an Avon so I haven't gotten it.
    oh look, I have a signature

Avon Spicy vs. Shulton Old Spice. Now, some of the wet shavers claim it's nearly a replacement for vintage Old Spice. I wouldn't go that far, to my nose it's not quite as sweet, and not as complex. However, I enjoy it immensely. I just don't think it's close enough to be considered a "replacement" for OS but does deserve a spot right next to it on the shelf.
    Currently wearing: Performance by Mustang

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Avon Spicy vs. Shulton Old Spice. Now, some of the wet shavers claim it's nearly a replacement for vintage Old Spice. I wouldn't go that far, to my nose it's not quite as sweet, and not as complex. However, I enjoy it immensely. I just don't think it's close enough to be considered a "replacement" for OS but does deserve a spot right next to it on the shelf.
    I hate to "um actually" but Avon Spicy is basically OS and Bay Rhum mix. If you want a real Avon clone of OS, you need Avon Brisk Spice (1984), which hilariously abbreviates to "BS".

Stay spicy my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I hate to "um actually" but Avon Spicy is basically OS and Bay Rhum mix. If you want a real Avon clone of OS, you need Avon Brisk Spice (1984), which hilariously abbreviates to "BS".

Stay spicy my friends!
    Brisk Spice seems to be fairly rare but I would like to get my nose on it eventually. I don't get the Bay Rhum in Spicy but my sniffer definitely isn't as developed as many others around this joint. I'll see if I can pick it out next time.
    Currently wearing: Performance by Mustang

Clubman Special Reserve to vtg Creed Tabarome (or Vintage Tabarome - can't remember 100%). Layered both together a few times and the similarity is astounding.
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

s-l640.jpg

Wow, no mistaking what this is a clone of.

I'm definitely interested in this one and Loreste.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    s-l640.jpg

Wow, no mistaking what this is a clone of.

I'm definitely interested in this one and Loreste.
    It actually may be closer to vintage Sung Homme, but it's definitely got some Quorum in there too.

How about a modern clone of a vintage? Bois 1920 extreme is 98% identical to Zino by Davidoff.

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet is very similar to 4711

Charles Jourdan Un Homme smells a lot like Azzaro Pour Homme but with a healthy dose of oak moss, leather and patchouli

I also get a lot of similarities between original Davidoff, Vermeil Pour Homme and Boss Number 1

Great thread Bigsly!

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    How about a modern clone of a vintage? Bois 1920 extreme is 98% identical to Zino by Davidoff.

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet is very similar to 4711

Charles Jourdan Un Homme smells a lot like Azzaro Pour Homme but with a healthy dose of oak moss, leather and patchouli

I also get a lot of similarities between original Davidoff, Vermeil Pour Homme and Boss Number 1

Great thread Bigsly!
    Right, but I was thinking of the ones that are not from "major names" and seem to have been attempts to make people think they are similar to well-known scents (especially names and bottle designs). In any case, I'd say Tenere is closer to Boss Cologne, which became Number One, than others.

Do these vintage clones have decent quality ingredients, and are they long lasting?

Because modern, outright clones like Infinity for Men, and Amaris last for like an hour.
    I recently acquired a vintage drug store cheapie, Matchabelli for Men and that stuff lasts all day, all the way into the morning!

I'd be curious to try the DN-clone Loreste. Stuff like Akthar Noir, while reminiscent of Drakkar Noir, ends up smelling really, really cheap, and doesn't last.

How 'bout this beauty?
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Brisk Spice seems to be fairly rare but I would like to get my nose on it eventually. I don't get the Bay Rhum in Spicy but my sniffer definitely isn't as developed as many others around this joint. I'll see if I can pick it out next time.
    Yeah, it didn't sell in the same quantities and didn't stay on the books as long.