3 7.50%
  • MFK Acqua Universalis

5 12.50%
  • Hermès Concentre d´Orange Verte

13 32.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Looking for a Distinct Great Citrus for Spring and Summer + Poll

Hi!

I'm looking for a well done citrus. A distinct fragrance for the spring/summer season.
    I'm leaning more towards the orange, bergamot and mandarin than other citrus like lemons and lime.
    I've started a poll with several options I'm considering but I'll look into any viable suggestions from you guys.

Thank you very much.

Default Re: Looking for a Distinct Great Citrus for Spring and Summer + Poll

My favorite orange citrus summer scent is Hermes Eau des Merveilles.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

It's overpriced, but Bergamot 22. Otherwise, my main squeeze is Chanell Allure Sport Cologne. The citrus is done fantastically well and it lasts, especially for a citrus-centric frag.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

From this list: voted for and recommending Concentree d'Orange Verte

I voted for the Hermes, but if you are broadening your choice set, I just bought Azemour les oranger (as suggested in Turin's book), and it is indeed a great citrus. Not sweet, very zingy, with touches of green and a light chypre drydown.

From your list I voted Concentre d Orange Verte, and it's very nice, but by your description I would try Hermes Terre d' Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

From that list, I'd choose Malle or Hermes. Some nice ones, but not sure if any of those ones are great.

If you want a great citrus scent, I'd suggest these two -

Eau de Guerlain
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Everyone is likely going to pick the Hermés (like I did) as it's the only one not horrendously priced. I might also recommend Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I might also recommend Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne
    I've kept quiet on this one for a while, but I can't keep silent any longer.

While I defer to your judgment as you've an astute nose and have smelled more fragrances than I'll ever smell, I'll honestly never understand why you and others like this one. It bores me to tears.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

A distinct great citrus for Spring and Summer that leans more towards the orange, bergamot and mandarin than other citrus like lemons and lime. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post

While I defer to your judgment as you've an astute nose and have smelled more fragrances than I'll ever smell, I'll honestly never understand why you and others like this one. It bores me to tears.
    I can understand finding it boring, but it's done really, really well imo. It's also one of the few fragrances I dare to wear in the high heat of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post

A distinct great citrus for Spring and Summer that leans more towards the orange, bergamot and mandarin than other citrus like lemons and lime. Enjoy!
    Yeah. This is just a fun, feel-good scent. Love it.

I would also suggest a few From E. Zegna:

Sicilian Mandarin
    Italian Bergamot
    Mediterranean Neroli
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I can understand finding it boring, but it's done really, really well imo. It's also one of the few fragrances I dare to wear in the high heat of summer.
    I love citrus notes and enjoy aquatic notes, too, so it's not that I'm opposed to it on a conceptual level, bit I find Allure Homme Sport so (purposefully) innocuous that one might as well not wear anything at all. Why it would be anyone's first choice is kinda beyond me.

But don't mind me. I'm just being a grouch.

Autumn Favorites

I love citrus notes and enjoy aquatic notes, too, so it's not that I'm opposed to it on a conceptual level, bit I find Allure Homme Sport so (purposefully) innocuous that one might as well not wear anything at all. Why it would be anyone's first choice is kinda beyond me.

But don't mind me. I'm just being a grouch.
    Hahaha no worries .

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It's fine. Everyone loves Versace Blue Jeans; it's one of the most highly-respected Versace masculines next to L'Homme (1984) and The Dreamer (1996), but I can't stand it and actually enjoy Dylan Blue (2017) enough to buy it, and that's one all the "tastemakers" on BN hate. See if you can figure that one out.

tl;dr: Never be afraid to express your dissension. Look at how much I call out "broventus" and "fragarmy" culture. Nobody's killed me yet. I'd like to see them try. ;-)

(P.S. I agree that AHSC is "safe" and therefore can read as "boring" to some)

the tone of this whole exchange between BO and ZC really made me smile and think of this:

Shine on you crazy energy saving lightbulbs!

Orange Sanguine from Atelier Cologne & Cologne a la Francais by Institute Tres Bien are two that spring to mind immediately - samples of both can be had from Luckyscent. Given the scents listed in your poll I doubt you would be disappointed by either.

tl;dr: Never be afraid to express your dissension. Look at how much I call out "broventus" and "fragarmy" culture. Nobody's killed me yet. I'd like to see them try. ;-)
    They're just biding their time.

Autumn Favorites

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    the tone of this whole exchange between BO and ZC really made me smile and think of this:

Shine on you crazy energy saving lightbulbs!
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl, year after year.
    Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears.
    wish you were here

enjoy Dylan Blue (2017) enough to buy it, and that's one all the "tastemakers" on BN hate. See if you can figure that one out.
    Me too, I find it's actually a stinky 80's style fougere masquerading as this current '10's ambroxan bomb. I get a lot of dihydromyrcenol, strong patchouli, sour musk, and powdery/barbershoppy coumarin in there, and not really much ambroxan. One of my favorites of this decade really.

I voted for the Hermes, it's excellent.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    if you are broadening your choice set, I just bought Azemour les oranger (as suggested in Turin's book), and it is indeed a great citrus. Not sweet, very zingy, with touches of green and a light chypre drydown.
    That's a good one. Marc Corticchiato at Parfum d'Empire has a real flair for good citrus and green scents. Another great citrus from him is Iskander, which holds its citrus notes for an amazingly long time, and is given a little drama by some spices and cedar. Beautiful citrus frag.
    Before the leaves fall, an all-green September:
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Atelier Cologne Bergamot Soleil
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

nice bergamote from essential parfums.. 10ml for $20
    Currently wearing: 33 by Chris Rusak

Amalfi

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Me too, I find it's actually a stinky 80's style fougere masquerading as this current '10's ambroxan bomb. I get a lot of dihydromyrcenol, strong patchouli, sour musk, and powdery/barbershoppy coumarin in there, and not really much ambroxan. One of my favorites of this decade really.

I voted for the Hermes, it's excellent.
    I don't get stinky with Versace DB, but another good choice is Versace Man Eau Frâiche. I love the citrus in that one.

Freed from BN Institution

I recommend Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. I think it's better than what is listed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I recommend Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. I think it's better than what is listed.
    I agree with NCal.

However, from your list, I most enjoy Bigarrade Concentree for almost stinky, overripe citrus fruit (which I truly find pleasant). Also, I’ve almost bought Mandarino di Amalfi for myself on a few occasions because I enjoy the cuminy musk at the base. The Hermes is definitely good, but I agree that the Atelier Colognes line is worth a try. I personally bought Orange Sanguine over Orange Vert.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

in civet est veritas

Many good ones are already mentioned.

I'll add: something from Acqua di Parma , take your pick.

I'm fond of Colonia Assoluta (I have the 6 oz. bottle).

The OG Colonia is quite spiffy, as well (it's on my wishlist).

Dior's Homme Cologne (current/2013 edition) is a so-crisp-it's-icy bergamot + grapefruit concoction that might fit the bill, too.

/Acey

I, too, voted for the Hermes. It's unique, great, and not overpriced. If you are spending 2+USD/ml, one may as well try Profumum Acqua Viva or one of the Xerjoff citruses. Just saying.
    Last edited by AceyMan; 1st May 2019 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Release year clarity, postscript added

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl, year after year.
    Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears.
    wish you were here
    Box, bowl? Neither could contain my soul so I must decline your invite and leave you two together. Alone, as fears are naught but lessons in disguise for the wise unwrap themselves because only then shall they find... Well lets just keep that as a surprise lest you think I'm all knowing...