Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Would this have been a bottle for a specific maker or is just an "aftermarket bottle" ?

Good morning all,
    I have developed a taste for collecting sterling silver and when I saw this little bottle I had to have it! It is sterling over glass, measures about 2 1/2" tall, 1 1/4" wide, and 9/16" thick.It has a sterling stamp as well as "Hecho en Mexico", a .925 and another illegible mark that I would think make up the hallmark. I believe it to be a Taxco piece (Taxco de Alarcon) but would it have been for a specific house or more of something that came with a vanity set? Thank you for the information and here is a picture!

Default Re: Would this have been a bottle for a specific maker or is just an "aftermarket bottle" ?

Quote Originally Posted by nikonNUT View Post
    Good morning all,
    I have developed a taste for collecting sterling silver and when I saw this little bottle I had to have it! It is sterling over glass, measures about 2 1/2" tall, 1 1/4" wide, and 9/16" thick.It has a sterling stamp as well as "Hecho en Mexico", a .925 and another illegible mark that I would think make up the hallmark. I believe it to be a Taxco piece (Taxco de Alarcon) but would it have been for a specific house or more of something that came with a vanity set? Thank you for the information and here is a picture!
    This to me looks like a flask and not a perfume bottle, as I have a similar one. Beautiful though.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Would this have been a bottle for a specific maker or is just an "aftermarket bottle" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bratsche View Post
    This to me looks like a flask and not a perfume bottle, as I have a similar one. Beautiful though.
    Thank you very much for the information! I automatically defaulted to a perfume bottle as it is so tiny. I need to check the volume but I would think 15 milliliters at the max. It's my going in my sterling silver shave set that I have been building from a hodgepodge of antique store finds!
    Last edited by nikonNUT; 3rd May 2019 at 12:25 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Beautifully designed piece.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Very pretty. It us a generic travel bottle made to put your own perfume in it. I once received one from a colleague as a souvenir of her trip. Should clean up nicely with a little non-abrasive silver foam.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon