Code of Conduct

Default How to Mature Creed Aventus?

Hi guys!

Quite new to the fragrance game, and not too sure how to 'mature' a fragrance. On the batch thread I've noticed a lot of people saying to wait for the fragrance to mature, however I'm not quite sure what this means. Should I simply not spray the fragrance at all for a few months, or spray it sparingly each week?

I just purchased my first bottle of Aventus after smelling it in-store and from a decant. The batch I have is from 2018, so would this have already matured?

Sorry for the newbie question, just curious

Default Re: How to Mature Creed Aventus?

Just enjoy it as you would normally. It will "mature" over time, to the extent that it does at all.

Its debatable (and is in fact frequently debated) if maturation really makes any difference with fragrances. I personally think most do get at least a little benefit from some time to fully macerate and react with oxygen, Mancera is one house I have witnessed this with first hand. You do have to handle it/spray it to help with the process.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

I am also interested in any answers that you guys have. I was under the impression that the aging of perfumes is something that should be avoided because they go bad.

The aging has already been done by Creed before they deploy their batches, any aging in the following years will be negligible performance wise. Your only job is to keep it out of light in a stable environment that is relatively cool throughout the year. I recommend low to the ground, bottom dresser drawers are usually the best.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by SharpLess View Post
    The aging has already been done by Creed before they deploy their batches, any aging in the following years will be negligible performance wise. Your only job is to keep it out of light in a stable environment that is relatively cool throughout the year. I recommend low to the ground, bottom dresser drawers are usually the best.
    That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Just enjoy it as you would normally. It will "mature" over time, to the extent that it does at all.

Its debatable (and is in fact frequently debated) if maturation really makes any difference with fragrances. I personally think most do get at least a little benefit from some time to fully macerate and react with oxygen, Mancera is one house I have witnessed this with first hand. You do have to handle it/spray it to help with the process.
    I agree. While the evidence is anecdotal, there's so much anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere regarding the maturation/maceration of Aventus (including my own) that I'm hard-pressed to believe otherwise. Certainly, if the argument is that 'Creed does it for you' then it stands to reason that the process would continue. You can't exactly time stamp such a process unless someone's employing voodoo. Again though, it's a longstanding often insufferable discussion haha.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

While I believe fragrances with a lot of natural components will mature and that may alter it's scent, I totally don't buy this for mass produced fragrances that have nothing but chemicals in them.