Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Most Mysterious Fragrance You Ever Smelled

Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    I see. However, which of these two do you feel is more mysterious, albeit the noted similarities?
    They're equally mysterious! But as noted, Au Coeur is a touch more dynamic, so I suppose that's the "more" mysterious of the two, but you're really splitting hairs making that call.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    They're equally mysterious! But as noted, Au Coeur is a touch more dynamic, so I suppose that's the "more" mysterious of the two, but you're really splitting hairs making that call.
    That's great. I'm thinking of limiting my samplings for several mysterious fragrances due to budget restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That would have been my choice too, up until a couple of months ago when I smelled Grimoire by Anatole LeBreton.

Its name means an antique book of sorcerer's spells, and it smells just as if that book had been stored in Bat's damp root cellar. Under a haunted mansion. Behind a pile of wet stones. And yet I can't bring myself to hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Came here to say Grimoire as well. There are very few fragrances I associate with "moods" but this one really does evoke the dark, gothic, antique feel that you describe. It's great but I couldn't pull it off.
    I really must get hold of a sample of Grimoire! It’s been on my radar for a while, but not easy to find samples of. Both resounding endorsements, thanks

I was also going to suggest Bat. That overripe banana and rotted fruit, along with the dank, dripping moss and dirt is just so intriguing I can’t stop sniffing it. I love it, but my SO detests it.

The whole of the Beaufort range would fit into this thread. I’ll add that I haven’t found one I like, or that is actually wearable, but the concepts are interesting even if the execution doesn’t work for me. I find them aggressively harsh.

There are some very interesting indie offerings. Bat has been referenced already, but most of the Zoologist line could be fit into this category. I was resampling rhinoceros, beaver and elephant this week. Rhinoceros is deeply weird on my skin: it smells exactly like the smell of burned out sparklers, or the lingering smell of spent fireworks. No idea whether this is just me, or if it was intentional, but it’s very unique. I believe it is a creation from our own Paul Kiler, so perhaps he will chime in and let me know! Regardless, it’s a much more successful version of the very aesthetic that Beaufort is trying for. I haven’t tried T-Rex yes, but that one sounds to be highly experimental and different.

I’ll add Hyde, from Hiram Green here. Burned out forests after a raging wildfire. It’s incredibly evocative, and a little unsettling. Which is kind of the point of these experiments, I think
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

L'Air Du Desert Marocain just takes me to another place and part of the world so far removed from where I live. So would have to go with this one.
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Homme Parfum - Dior
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Mayfair - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

If you've tried LDDM then you know mostly how Au Coeur du Désert will smell; it's essentially a flanker and if you caught whiffs in the air you'd easily mistake one for the other.

But instead of taking away anything from the wonderful mystique of LDDM, Au Coeur du Désert adds another dimension that helps enrich the experience and make it a little more dynamic. It's ever-so-slightly gentler than its predecessor in its opening stages before giving way to a similar drydown.

So if somebody have already smelled one, the other isn't so different that they need to rush out and try it. But if they're sampling for the first time, I always recommend folks go for Au Coeur du Désert.
    Thanks! Just received a sample and will give it a try.

The well known frags in this "department" would be: Zino Davidoff, Dior Fahrenheit Absolute, Lalique Encre Noire, Caron L'Anarchiste, Azzaro Silver Black

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain just takes me to another place and part of the world so far removed from where I live. So would have to go with this one.
    Yeah, agreed on this one.

Bat by Zoologist to me just smells like a freaking bat's cave, not really mysterious, just a cave lol. I actually enjoy it but cant wear it...

Went ahead and ordered a sample of Tauer's Au Coeur du Desert. Supposed to arrive by next Thursday. I'm considering ordering a sample of El Cosmico.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    Yeah, agreed on this one.

Bat by Zoologist to me just smells like a freaking bat's cave, not really mysterious, just a cave lol. I actually enjoy it but cant wear it...
    Might give that one a miss!! LOL
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Homme Parfum - Dior
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Mayfair - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Shaal Nur: it's as if heaven opens itself and glows in the dark
    What a great description ! Some Etros have a certain mystery and eerieness. 'Creepy', as Colin Maillard would put it.
    To which I'd add Palais Jamais : in the woods, something green quivers, luminous and gelatinous.
    Original Messe de Minuit, also : damp crypts, mildewed old books, incense, dirt and earth.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Encre noire
    Narciso Rodríguez for him
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Zino
    Bvlgari black

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Researching in 3.... 2....
    I know! Now I must find this mysterious book-in-a-bat-cave scent!
    Currently wearing: Inouï by Shiseido

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    Thanks! Just received a sample and will give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    Went ahead and ordered a sample of Tauer's Au Coeur du Desert. Supposed to arrive by next Thursday. I'm considering ordering a sample of El Cosmico.
    I hope you both find Au Coeur du Désert as magnificent as I do.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I hope you both find Au Coeur du Désert as magnificent as I do.
    Me too bro. If I like it enough, I'll look for a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    Amouage Memoir

It’s just a compete mystery smell to me. Hard to put my finger on any specific notes.

Also, Fazzolari Lampblack. Unique and interesting, maybe smells just like its name??
    These are two good ones. I think L'Artisane Passage d'Enfer is mysterious, with its cold, steely incense juxtaposed with a deathly indolic lily; the smell transporting you to some cold, humid, and ancient building with stone floors and walls with torches flickering.

Another mysterious fragrance to me is Vero Onda, which smells like a tomb which has just been opened, releasing the smells of corpses and their shrouds which all ceased decaying two thousand years ago.

Amouage Memoir, vintage Salvador Dali Pour Homme, Scriabin Himalaya are three that come to mind. Pure Oud as oil or burning as chips, can have similar, if not better effect. Just need to have ample time to go through the development.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

The 2 Fazzolari's are awesome too - Lampblack and Room 237.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Room 237? What a cool title! What's it like?

^^^ Lampblack is the superior of the 2 in my books; if you remove the horror movie aspect and for someone unknown, who smells Room 237, it's a vague clean meets dirty chemical / plastic scenario. And it alternates back and forth, which is brilliant!

^^^ Lampblack is the superior of the 2 in my books; if you remove the horror movie aspect and for someone unknown, who smells Room 237, it's a vague clean meets dirty chemical / plastic scenario. And it alternates back and forth, which is brilliant!
    Wow. I appreciate that kind of creativity. So original!

I agree, Lampblack is the better imo. Something about it makes me think George Washington/Revolutionary War. I own a FB, and sometimes absolutely crave the smell.

Bushido Oud Attar by Rising Phoenix Perfumery.

In an earlier review, I described it as smelling ‘dangerous’. I found out later it shares a component oil primarily used during the feudal days of Japan to protect samurai blades. If ‘menace’ has a smell, this is probably it. Total badass.

As a sidenote I do believe a fragrance name somehow affects the way we perceive a scent. I have Grimoire in my wardrobe- it’s been one of my favourite finds. After a few wears I don’t find it all that much mysterious anymore, but still a brooding borderline moldy frankincense.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Eucris - It smells gothic and dark and evokes images of crypts, old castles and cobbled stones under gaslight lamps with horse drawn carriages making there way through a rainy dark city
    I've wanted to put my nose on this for a long time (due to the alleged association with 007...) but you can't find samples of it, so it seems like the only option is to blind buy it. Which seems REALLY risky as the scent you describe it does not sound in any way like a "mass appealing" or "crowd pleasing" fragrance... sounds like quite the opposite in fact.
    Currently wearing: Layton by Parfums de Marly

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I've wanted to put my nose on this for a long time (due to the alleged association with 007...) but you can't find samples of it, so it seems like the only option is to blind buy it. Which seems REALLY risky as the scent you describe it does not sound in any way like a "mass appealing" or "crowd pleasing" fragrance... sounds like quite the opposite in fact.
    Have you smelled many 80’s moss bombs? Do you like cyphres in general? If so, it’s a safe blind buy. If not, maybe sample something like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui to see if you’re sufficiently moss oriented.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

I've noticed Lampblack has gotten a few nods.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Have you smelled many 80’s moss bombs? Do you like cyphres in general? If so, it’s a safe blind buy. If not, maybe sample something like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui to see if you’re sufficiently moss oriented.
    I see what you are saying.

Basenotes Plus

Originally Posted by Jack Hunter

Eucris - It smells gothic and dark and evokes images of crypts, old castles and cobbled stones under gaslight lamps with horse drawn carriages making there way through a rainy dark city
    You make it sound like the scent of a Sherlock Holmes novel.

I've been on the verge of blind buying Eucris for a long time just because of its fabulous bottle.
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 4th May 2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Holmes, not Homes

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You make it sound like the scent of a Sherlock Homes novel.

I've been on the verge of blind buying Eucris for a long time just because of its fabulous bottle.
    If they ever sold empty bottles for decanting your fragrances in that was in the style of the bottle Eucris comes in I would buy several bottles.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Summer Scents

1. Eau de Rochas Homme
    2. Guerlain Homme l'Eau Boisee
    3. Guerlain Vetiver

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast