Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Most Mysterious Fragrance You Ever Smelled

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You make it sound like the scent of a Sherlock Homes novel.

I've been on the verge of blind buying Eucris for a long time just because of its fabulous bottle.
    It's that good? Gotta check out a pic. You got me curious!

Just checked out a pic of Eucris bottle and it has a sort of a macabre or goth look to it IMO.

Hi all,

No doubt about it, I would have to say (especially original) L'ARTISAN DZING!

A "Three Ring" Big Top Circus! A medley of Carnival "Side Shows" from the "Strong Man", the "Bearded Lady" the "Sword Swallower" the "Lizard Boy". DZING! is (off limits) saw dusted caged staging area of Elephants, Lions, Tigers & Dancing Bears! The "Midway" of assorted smells from sweet Cotton Candy to rank Ferris Wheel seat Leather! I truly believe original DZING! was one of the few true "Masterpieces" of the Fragrance World.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...ZeyPZUGvAs3pM:

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi all,

A "Three Ring" Big Top Circus! A medley of Carnival "Side Shows" from the "Strong Man", the "Bearded Lady" the "Sword Swallower" the "Lizard Boy". DZING! is (off limits) saw dusted caged staging area of Elephants, Lions, Tigers & Dancing Bears! The "Midway" of assorted smells from sweet Cotton Candy to rank Ferris Wheel seat Leather! I truly believe original DZING! was one of the few true "Masterpieces" of the Fragrance World.

SixCats!

Good points, from a personal viewpoint, fully relating with and understandably seconded.

Have also thought about the fact that that, given another thread started about the traditional wet shaving hobby recently started by you I enjoyed reading that men are usually-at least given the current market/output/supply- blessed with a fairly diverse and abundant selection of scented masculine cosmetics, shaving, body care products as well, not always and not necessarily limited to good fragrance alone.

From the matching scented lines in the more affordable price category along the lines of Sir Irisch Moos, Denim, Tabac Original, Preferred Stock, Caractere and/or other fragrances by Daniel Hechter, various Old Spice iterations including flankers, Yardley Citrus and Wood, several Marbert scents, among the inexpensive ones.
    Right down to C&E Sandalwood, Knize Ten, ADP Collezione Barbiere, scented products lines by Chanel in a darker, often powerhouse style, aforementioned GFT fragrances and their matching products series, including but not limited to Eucris, but also Spanish Leather and more, L'Erbolario Ginepro Nero, several more powerhouse Creed and Floris extensive male care lines, same for the ones by L'Occitane, mainly the darker, more complex facets of Eau des Baux and Cade, Azzaro pour Homme- if a man wants to smell mysteriously while following the traditional wet shaving, everyday body care etc. rather than just the perfume application routine.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 4th May 2019 at 05:11 PM.

Hi all,

SixCats!
    That sounds wonderfully outrageous! Hmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Good points, from a personal viewpoint, fully relating with and understandably seconded.

Have also thought about the fact that that, given another thread started about the traditional wet shaving hobby recently started by you I enjoyed reading that men are usually-at least given the current market/output/supply- blessed with a fairly diverse and abundant selection of scented masculine cosmetics, shaving, body care products as well, not always and not necessarily limited to good fragrance alone.

From the matching scented lines in the more affordable price category along the lines of Sir Irisch Moos, Denim, Tabac Original, Preferred Stock, Caractere and/or other fragrances by Daniel Hechter, various Old Spice iterations including flankers, Yardley Citrus and Wood, several Marbert scents, among the inexpensive ones.
    Right down to C&E Sandalwood, Knize Ten, ADP Collezione Barbiere, scented products lines by Chanel in a darker, often powerhouse style, aforementioned GFT fragrances and their matching products series, including but not limited to Eucris, but also Spanish Leather and more, L'Erbolario Ginepro Nero, several more powerhouse male Creed and Floris extensive male care lines, same for the ones by L'Occitane, mainly the darker, more complex facets of Eau des Baux and Cade, Azzaro pour Homme- if a man wants to smell mysteriously while following the traditional wet shaving, everyday body care etc. rather than just the perfume application routine.
    Hats off to you! Thank you for your valuable input.
    Last edited by LatinNote; 5th May 2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Wrong word. Now fixed.

The original Terre D’Hermes was to me. Can’t hardly smell the latest.
    Currently wearing: Great Jones by Bond No. 9

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    The original Terre D’Hermes was to me. Can’t hardly smell the latest.
    Thankfully, I bought Terre D' Hermes Parfum batch 2014 from Buysblind. Good stuff!

probably Novocaine by Tokyo Milk. mysterious in that it was difficult for me to understand what the perfumer was aiming for. one of the strangest scents I've never smelled that was marketed as a perfume.
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    probably Novocaine by Tokyo Milk. mysterious in that it was difficult for me to understand what the perfumer was aiming for. one of the strangest scents I've never smelled that was marketed as a perfume.
    Yeah, that's weird! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Have you smelled many 80’s moss bombs? Do you like cyphres in general? If so, it’s a safe blind buy. If not, maybe sample something like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui to see if you’re sufficiently moss oriented.
    I have not smelled any 80's moss bombs. And I have never even heard of "cyphres". Do you mean "chypre"??
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

@Ken_Russell, Hi Ken. Oooh yes indeed, there are sooooo many wonderful Men's Fragrances, it's difficult to choose ONE. Since I have really taken more seriously "Wet Shaving", I find myself exploring an entire new World of Shaving "Aftershaves". For me, it's a challenge attempting to hunt down GREAT smelling/performing Aftershaves that are Budget" priced. Me thinks upwards of twenty dollars is waaaaaay to expensive for the likes of
    "Aftershave", especially if it's a small bottle. I very much find myself enjoying (trying to keep somewhat on topic here) Old School "Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal After Shave Lotion" which has a rather UNIQUE smell (big surprise that I'd like the strange smelling Fragrances eh ?) an acquired taste. I mean, heck, a 12oz. bottle of Clubman costing under ten dollars! Fantastic! Also, I've done a little experimenting making my own "Aftershave" using nothing more than good quality "Witch Hazel" and Organic Essential Oils. This can be fun! Now, while I love my
    "Niche" Colognes, I could buy a dozen bottles of "Lilac Vegetal" (or like) for the cost of one bottle of "Niche" Cologne. Tis' the reason I carefully choose/sample expensive Colognes before I purchase full bottles and I now also limited my purchasing of (so called) "Niche"
    Fragrances as they are very expensive. Now, if I could only get my R.A.D. (Razor Acquisition Disorder) under control, I'll be in good shape. Since joining "Blade & Badger" around the end of March 2019, I've acquired THIRTY FIVE vintage Razors. Ugggh.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pina...9PqMvlwbUIw0M:

SixCats!
    Last edited by SixCats; 4th May 2019 at 10:38 PM.

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf always gives me an interesting mysterious vibe. Such a shame it's discontinued.

@Ken_Russell, Hi Ken. Oooh yes indeed, there are sooooo many wonderful Men's Fragrances, it's difficult to choose ONE. Since I have really taken more seriously "Wet Shaving", I find myself exploring an entire new World of Shaving "Aftershaves". For me, it's a challenge attempting to hunt down GREAT smelling/performing Aftershaves that are Budget" priced. Me thinks upwards of twenty dollars is waaaaaay to expensive for the likes of
    "Aftershave", especially if it's a small bottle. I very much find myself enjoying (trying to keep somewhat on topic here) Old School "Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal After Shave Lotion" which has a rather UNIQUE smell (big surprise that I'd like the strange smelling Fragrances eh ?) an acquired taste. I mean, heck, a 12oz. bottle of Clubman costing under ten dollars! Fantastic! Also, I've done a little experimenting making my own "Aftershave" using nothing more than good quality "Witch Hazel" and Organic Essential Oils. This can be fun! Now, while I love my
    "Niche" Colognes, I could buy a dozen bottles of "Lilac Vegetal" (or like) for the cost of one bottle of "Niche" Cologne. Tis' the reason I carefully choose/sample expensive Colognes before I purchase full bottles and I now also limited my purchasing of (so called) "Niche"
    Fragrances as they are very expensive. Now, if I could only get my R.A.D. (Razor Acquisition Disorder) under control, I'll be in good shape. Since joining "Blade & Badger" around the end of March 2019, I've acquired THIRTY FIVE vintage Razors. Ugggh.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pina...9PqMvlwbUIw0M:

SixCats!

Thank you for posting this wonderful reply, enjoyed reading what you shared about both affordable and still creatively accomplished, why not also mysteriously smelling wet shaving and aftershave possibilities/experiments/solutions. Great vivid and fascinating descriptions, considering to add now Lilac Vegetal and Clubman to the personal fragrance, as well the aftershave lineup and discover the mysteriousness, complexities, nuances in each or most of the notes found in these.

Starting to also consider getting, at least at some point, the shaving soaps and/or other male care items from fragrance houses like ADP, Knize, Truefitt & Hill, while also the more frugally priced Tabac (and/or their holding company Mäurer & Wirtz), Yardley, Swiss (or any other make-release of) Pitralon and other houses of both tradition and good reputation here on BN, in order to further explore the mysteriousness of classic male scents beyond the-still enthusiastically savored-conventional fragrance application route.

While thanking again for all the wonderful inspiration found on this thread, also considering to reply again should another personal discovery surface in either of these two categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Thank you for posting this wonderful reply, enjoyed reading what you shared about both affordable and still creatively accomplished, why not also mysteriously smelling wet shaving and aftershave possibilities/experiments/solutions. Great vivid and fascinating descriptions, considering to add now Lilac Vegetal and Clubman to the personal fragrance, as well the aftershave lineup and discover the mysteriousness, complexities, nuances in each or most of the notes found in these.

Starting to also consider getting, at least at some point, the shaving soaps and/or other male care items from fragrance houses like ADP, Knize, Truefitt & Hill, while also the more frugally priced Tabac (and/or their holding company Mäurer & Wirtz), Yardley, Swiss (or any other make-release of) Pitralon and other houses of both tradition and good reputation here on BN, in order to further explore the mysteriousness of classic male scents beyond the-still enthusiastically savored-conventional fragrance application route.

While thanking again for all the wonderful inspiration found on this thread, also considering to reply again should another personal discovery surface in either of these two categories.
    Great post and I thank you kindly for this. I'm grateful this thread is inspiring us and poking our curiousity bubbles.

Freed from BN Institution

One example would be rogue perfumery mousse illuminee. When I wore it I could easily imagine myself in the wilderness.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain just takes me to another place and part of the world so far removed from where I live. So would have to go with this one.
    This was another one that came to mind.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

le monarque no. III, intriguing and baffling

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    le monarque no. III, intriguing and baffling
    Wonder what notes are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    Wonder what notes are in there.
    this is all i can find

'Alcohol Denat. Parfum, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethylionone, Linalool, Coumarin, Citral, Benzyl Benzoate , Geraniol, Citronellol, Eugenol , Isoeugenol, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Alcohol, Farnesol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamyl Alcohol'

someones online impressions : " I feel licorice and most of all – chocolate of great quality, and maybe a dash of coffee. Slightly bitter, wonderfully opened by lavender note. It looks at you with focused attention, but in a friendly manner. It turns a bit too sweet in time."

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    this is all i can find

'Alcohol Denat. Parfum, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethylionone, Linalool, Coumarin, Citral, Benzyl Benzoate , Geraniol, Citronellol, Eugenol , Isoeugenol, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Alcohol, Farnesol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamyl Alcohol'

someones online impressions : " I feel licorice and most of all – chocolate of great quality, and maybe a dash of coffee. Slightly bitter, wonderfully opened by lavender note. It looks at you with focused attention, but in a friendly manner. It turns a bit too sweet in time."
    That sounds tantalizing! Thank you very much!

Dior Fahrenheit Absolute.
    Favorites Scents:

1- Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012)
    2- Creed Royal Oud
    3- Amouage Jubilation XXV
    4- Dior Homme Intense
    5- L'instant de Guerlain Extrême
    6- Grand Soir Francis Kurkdjian
    7- Amouage Reflection Man
    8- Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    9- Tom Ford for Men Extreme
    10- Ambre Sultan Serge Lutens
    Currently wearing: Versace Man by Versace

Montale Black Aoud, Eucris EDT or EDP, Zoologist Bat
    Top 10:
    1. Mancera Aoud Lemon Mint
    2. Bergamote 22/Mancera Soleil d'Italie
    3. Neroli Portofino Forte/Bond No. 9 Eau de NY
    4. Acqua di Gio Essenza/Amouage Beach Hut Man
    5. MFK Grand Soir/Oud Satin Mood/Aqua Celestia Forte
    6. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille/Venetian Bergamot/Mandarino di Amalfi/Azure Lime/Vert Boheme/Italian Cypress/Oud Minerale
    7. Daniel Josier Ambre Tabac/Hermes Ambre Narguile
    8. AdP Essenza/Club/Oud
    9. Armaf CDNIM
    10. Montale Ristretto Intense Cafe/Mancera Roses Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by seeroos.syed View Post
    Montale Black Aoud, Eucris EDT or EDP, Zoologist Bat
    Eucris sure got quite a few nods along with Zoologist Bat.

Update: FYI: I've ordered two mysterious fragrant samples- Au Coeur Du Desert and El Cosmico. The Desert arrived earlier today. I sprayed it on my wrist. NEVER smelled ANYTHING like it in my life!! Gives mysterious a new meaning. Of all the reviews I've read on this scent, I believe I'm the only one who detects a faint but sensous and extremely pleasant sweet cola smell with a wonderful balance of balsam. I could see myself drinking a bottle of sweet cola in the open air outdoors of the arid and wild desert and enjoying the added scent of balsam blowing in the warm wind. Ahhh.....unforgettable!

Will give my take on the El Cosmico when I receive later this week.

Update: FYI: I've ordered two mysterious fragrant samples- Au Coeur Du Desert and El Cosmico. The Desert arrived earlier today. I sprayed it on my wrist. NEVER smelled ANYTHING like it in my life!
    I think you made a good decision with the Tauer (ACDD). It's essentially everything that made L'Air du Desert Marocain so popular over the years. Definitely mysterious and original smelling.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I think you made a good decision with the Tauer (ACDD). It's essentially everything that made L'Air du Desert Marocain so popular over the years. Definitely mysterious and original smelling.
    Thank you! Honestly, I gotta give the credit to Brooks Otterslake. He was the one who introduced that one.

I can't just pick one, but these are ones I always think of as "mysterious":

by Kilian - Incense Oud
    Tom Ford - Moss Breches
    Norma Kamali - Incense
    Stéphane Humbert Lucas - Mortal Skin
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I can't just pick one, but these are ones I always think of as "mysterious":

by Kilian - Incense Oud
    Tom Ford - Moss Breches
    Norma Kamali - Incense
    Stéphane Humbert Lucas - Mortal Skin
    Of those which did you enjoy the most? Or stood out the most?

Of those which did you enjoy the most? Or stood out the most?
    I would rank them this way in terms of how much I like them:

1. Incense Oud. Would never want a collection without this one in it.
    2. Mortal Skin. Love this one too. Reminds me in passing to HoM Blackbird.

3. Moss Breches. Very different and a bit earthy. Didn't like it at first, but it really grew on me.
    4. NK Incense. Full blown harsh and strong. Not very wearable, but it does check the mysterious box for me. Not a bad scent at all, but just very overbearing. And wife hates it.

In terms of Mysterious, I would probably rank Incense Oud at the top for that also - but not skanky or wierd mysterious, just something haunting / enchanting with the darkness in this one - yet quite wearable.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast