Code of Conduct

Question New to home fragrance - Incense vs Candles?

Howdy guys. I am a complete noob when it comes to incense and candles. The only experience I have is buying candles as gifts practically every time I need to buy a woman a gift. I would like to start using either candles or incense to make my bedroom and living room smell nice, however price is a big concern for me. I understand candles can be quite expensive?

What would be more economical and smell better, buying cheapie candles or buying incense? I truly have no idea where to start but I trust the noses on this forum
    Any help or product recommendations are appreciated.
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great

Default Re: New to home fragrance - Incense vs Candles?

ADDITIONALLY: does burning incense or candles in any way stay on your clothes/skin and effect the scent or performance of fragrances?
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''

Candles can be quite expensive indeed. However, some high quality candles burn for a long time, so you can use them sparingly. Not sure which brand has the best quality/price ratio.

No worry about the candle scent staying on clothes.

+1 cacio. Plus clothing can pick up the smell of incense easily.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

I like DIY reed diffusers. Most economical + you're not breathing smoke/fumes etc. if you or guests are sensitive to that aspect even with soy candles. I've never burned incense so I can't speak to that.

Reeds are not expensive even in bulk, and neither is reed diffuser base (unscented) used to dillute pre-mixed fragrance oils + allows them to flow up the reed and disperse scent. Once mixed, the reed diffuser fragrance lasts a really long time -- doesn't evaporate since there is no alcohol or water. Reeds need to be replaced every few weeks though in order to keep scent at optimum level + you need to flip them every so often and give bottle a swirl which seems to invigorate the scent. Real rattan reeds are the best -- bamboo and other 'sticks' won't absorb and throw scent well -- if at all.

Of course reed diffusers aren't great in big spaces -- need more than one -- but perfect in the bathroom and bedrooms.

I never make reed diffuser fragrance with essential oils -- kind of a waste of $$ since some oils are pricey and best reserved for perfume making + there are so many great pre-mixed fragrance oils out there. However, most of these fragrance oils are sold specifically for candle and soap making -- but they can be used (diluted in base) as reed diffuser fragrance on most cases. I always look for phthalate-free and have had no trouble finding those -- more the norm these days.

I also invested in a mini, cold air nebulizing diffuser -- the in-home version of how hotels and stores scent their spaces. $$$ in the short run but so worth it in the long run when you really want a fragrance to permeate your space. I run mine for all of 20 minutes on the lowest setting and I'm still on the same bottle of fragrance after many months -- barely made a dent in it. Will probably last a year!

Anyway -- options for you to consider.

There are so many different ways of scenting your home, it might be worth you doing more research into it. Anyway, these are my favourite methods:

Candles: Low maintenance, pleasant ambient light, depending on the brand and scent you can get a lot of 'throw' or a large radius of scent. My favourite brand is Diptyque, and I very rarely stray from it. The jars also look very classy and can be repurposed.

Diffusers: Low maintenance, usually last for a few weeks and can have a strong throw. Perfect for the bathroom for a continuous scent. Lampe berger makes some really good ones.

Catalytic lamp: Low maintenance, insane intensity and throw, lasts for a long time. The scent doesn't hang around for very long after the lamp has been extinguished, though.

Essential oil burner: Low maintenance (just keep an eye on the tea light, and start off with hot / freshly boiled water for a kickstart), intensity can be adjusted depending on how much essence you use. Protip: you can also use fragrance - put a few sprays into it before water; it's as easy as that.

Incense sticks: Low maintenance, but you have to do your research because low quality jossticks are dime a dozen and good quality ones are hard to come by. Japanese incense sticks are wonderful and have subtler and more natural aromas.

Papier d'Armenie: Medium maintenance (ash and sticky residue), a very nice subtle scent, but only if you want a short burst of it.

Incense resin and oud: Higher maintenance (faffing about with coal, hitting the right temperature, cleanup, generates smoke), but the results are usually worth it. The scent of burned incense can fill a home for several days. Perfect for winter.

Bakhoor: Medium maintenance (as above but not as dependent on the right temparature), I've only tried one and have to try more to make my mind up. The mechanism is similar to incense, but it's much more forgiving to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Candles can be quite expensive indeed. However, some high quality candles burn for a long time, so you can use them sparingly. Not sure which brand has the best quality/price ratio.

No worry about the candle scent staying on clothes.
    I think Diptyque is definitely worth looking into. Their candles smell very natural, and even though they're not cheap, they last for a very long time. The throw of most scents is also fantastic.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'd go with candles.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

How long would you say the diptyque or other "high end" candles last?

Basenotes Plus

I'm personally a fan of reed diffusers.

Quote Originally Posted by tcmquincy View Post
    How long would you say the diptyque or other "high end" candles last?
    The advertised burn time of a 190g Diptyque candle is advertised as being up to 60 hours.

I like diffusing essential oils in my doTerra Petal Diffuser. I've never used tap water, only distilled water in it. A quick rinse with hot water and wiped out with paper towel is all the maintenance that I've had to do.
    I also like burning bakhoor when I have it on hand. Nabeel "Premium" is my favorite.