Code of Conduct

Thread: Head Fried

Default Head Fried

Sometimes I regret getting into this hobby...

I am finding that less and less scents are pleasing me and that I am buying for buyings sake.

I have recently gave away a mumber of bottles and want to go back to basics. Can you help me identify our of the following which is the best "multi purpose scent" until I "Kondo" my head!

I am.looking for something that

A suits a professional environment for work
    B is appealing to my wife / compliment getter
    C long lasting
    D somewhat distinct

My reduced wadrobe comproses of

FLoris Santal
    AdP Colonia
    TF Noir
    TF Ombre Leather 18
    Eau Sauvage
    Eau Sauvage Extreme
    Eau Sauvage Parfum
    Knize 10
    Vetiver Extrordinare
    Montblanc Explorer
    Aventus (too expensive for daily wear)
    Dior Homme
    Dior Homme Eau
    Dior Homme Intense
    DIOR homme Sport 2017
    Dior Homme Parfum
    YSL la nuit dhomme EDT
    Alien Man
    Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver
    bleu De chanel Parfum
    Prade Lhomme intense
    Parada lhomme eau
    Dior Sauvage EDP

Any thoughts welcome....

Tom

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Basenotes Member Primatesinplaid's Avatar

Default Re: Head Fried

I recently found myself in a quite similar scenario, Almost the exact same process as you in fact.
    I believe that bleu and Sauvage meet your criteria best, they are pleasant and versatile and even though they are very popular I don’t experience what most claim when they say they smell smell them on everyone else but maybe I’m just not in environments or with folks that wear a lot of scents.

Basenotes Plus

Wear only what you love. Forget completely about any utilitarian function of perfume other than whether you enjoy the sensory experience or not. To consider anything else as a priority just sucks the joy out of wearing fragrance, which sounds where you are at.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

My business partner showers on Sauvage evry morning so that is out....

But it does tick most of my boxes....

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Wear only what you love. Forget completely about any utilitarian function of perfume other than whether you enjoy the sensory experience or not. To consider anything else as a priority just sucks the joy out of wearing fragrance, which sounds where you are at.
    My head is so fried im not sure what i enjoy... i love Knize Ten... but find myself wondering what the world around me thinks.

I really like Lnuit l, Alien Man and Dior Homme sport but worry about longevity....

Heads fried!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Bleu De Chanel Parfum from your list "should" satisfy your four criteria.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

A few that might fit your criteria:

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Lalique White
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pouring View Post
    My head is so fried im not sure what i enjoy... i love Knize Ten... but find myself wondering what the world around me thinks.

I really like Lnuit l, Alien Man and Dior Homme sport but worry about longevity....

Heads fried!
    You're still talking about extraneous details ("others think", "longevity", "performance") rather than the scent itself. That's the only thing that really matters. In many ways, the rest is just bullshit.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

Basenotes Plus

Maybe try ranking them. Bottom 5 go away!
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    You're still talking about extraneous details ("others think", "longevity", "performance") rather than the scent itself. That's the only thing that really matters. In many ways, the rest is just bullshit.
    Yep.

I recommend that you take a break from fragrances for a week and see what you actually miss.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Err, your wife loves Knize Ten on me....

Sorry, but you were asking for that one. Seriously, take a step back, consider why you got into perfume in the first place, recalibrate your nose and start smelling those fragrances again. Which one feels right? What do you like? And if it really does matter to you, talk to your wife and get feedback from people around you that like you.

Victrix by Profumum is growing on me, after being neglected for so long!

I am becoming a Guerlainophile (beyond the modern mall releases). Derby just arrived finally. Gourmand Coquin and Shalimar EDC coming this week. Just got LUI last week.

God help me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Err, your wife loves Knize Ten on me....

Sorry, but you were asking for that one. Seriously, take a step back, consider why you got into perfume in the first place, recalibrate your nose and start smelling those fragrances again. Which one feels right? What do you like? And if it really does matter to you, talk to your wife and get feedback from people around you that like you.
    Great advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Yep.

I recommend that you take a break from fragrances for a week and see what you actually miss.
    Im going to do this....

Missing Oakmoss

I'd recommend making a list of the fragrances that you really love, and eliminate the rest (or drop them down to a second tier); then, since others' opinions loom large in your mind, ask your wife which ones she likes most among the ones you've chosen. If you disagree about some of them, keep those bottles for private use when you won't feel self-conscious about wearing them. The main thing is to exercise your own judgement first, and to give free rein to your own preferences - disregarding peripheral criteria like longevity, number of compliments and physical setting.

You're really overthinking this. Just wear what you want and don't overspray. So long as you don't overspray, then you needn't worry what others think.

And, really, no one needs to know what you smell like, anyway. Honestly, they very probably don't care or want to know.

That already is a pretty good reduced list in my opinion.

However, you have a bit of redundancy in the Dior Homme and Prada L'Homme line (not counting Dior Homme Sport); they all overlap, so if reduction is desired, choose one then eliminate the rest. That brings 6 bottles down to 1.

The three Eau Sauvages are worth keeping.

All subjective opinion here: YSL La Nuit isn't that interesting nor long-lasting, and although I am a Mugler fan, Alien Man was mediocre in my testing; those could go too.
    Currently wearing: Roadster Sport by Cartier

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Sounds to me like sabbatical first, then what to keep decisions later.
    One if by land...two if by sea...three if by air....
    Mike I'm Erika Grate , a Djin!--Or a Nym?

Based on personal experiences and subjective preferences alone, could not imagine a list of ultimate finalists ticking most or all of the four points required, being complete without either of these:

Eau Sauvage Parfum, Knize Ten, Aventus, Dior Homme Intense/Parfum, Bleu de Chanel Parfum
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

You could try putting them all in a box at the back of your closet (or somewhere out of the way). Each day, ask yourself what you feel like wearing. If you don’t want to wear it enough for it to be worth the time to go and get it, leave it there. If it’s worth the extra effort to get the bottle, spray, enjoy, and leave the bottle out somewhere more accessible. Repeat as needed. You should find that the scents you want to wear most often fairly quickly make themselves apparent.

If you find yourself getting them all out, then each has a place in your collection. If you haven’t reached for it in a year, I’d say swap, sell or gift it.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

I feel like Green Irish Tweed checks all of those boxes.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Based on personal experiences and subjective preferences alone, could not imagine a list of ultimate finalists ticking most or all of the four points required, being complete without either of these:

Eau Sauvage Parfum, Knize Ten, Aventus, Dior Homme Intense/Parfum, Bleu de Chanel Parfum
    Those 4 are great...

My personal favourite is probably K10 followed closely by ESP.

Thibking of just wearing one for a week to see how i get on

Freed from BN Institution

Not on your list but I recommend Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. It definitely meets all four of your prerequisites.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I feel like Green Irish Tweed checks all of those boxes.
    This would be another solid choice.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain