Code of Conduct

Default Diptyque Eau Duelle vs Benjoin Boheme vs MFK Grand Soir

Putting this up in General Fragrance as it could easily appeal to either male or female members.

I wondered how these all compare. I not similarities between the two Diptyques but Benjoin is also similar to Grand Soir but not identical.

The Grand Soir got me interested this past winter so I now have a bottle of that. However I have worn Eau Duelle in the past (wonderful vanilla and incense) although struggled to find the right situation to wear it. Likewise, the Benjoin is a similar sweet/resinous/Amber with a similar structure to the others.

How do you see them and is it worth owning all? Or two?

Always be smelling

Default Re: Diptyque Eau Duelle vs Benjoin Boheme vs MFK Grand Soir

I am not a fan of Grand Soir.
    Too cloying for me.
    But I do like Benjoin Boheme and Eau Duelle
    BB has a bit more going for it. A denser scent compared to Eau Duelle
    BB would be good in winter and Eau Duelle in fall/spring
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have and like all three, but BB would be my preferred as it's woodier than the other two which I enjoy. Eau Duelle is a bit spicier to me than BB and Grand Soir which in turn is a bit sweeter than the other two.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I am not a fan of Grand Soir.
    Too cloying for me.
    But I do like Benjoin Boheme and Eau Duelle
    BB has a bit more going for it. A denser scent compared to Eau Duelle
    BB would be good in winter and Eau Duelle in fall/spring
    More or less my thoughts as well.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Default Diptyque Eau Duelle vs Benjoin Boheme vs MFK Grand Soir

Many thanks for all your replies chaps.

I agree that Eau Duelle is the spiciest although it’s still fairly sweet. It also has a superb frankincense note.

The other two are quite resinous but has some notable differences. Grand Soir almost comes across as bitter-sweet compared to the Benjoin. The Benjoin is probably the sweetest to my nose.

I’m trying to evaluate if it is indeed “woodier” as hednic’s comment made me look at this one a little differently. Nonetheless I now have a sample on the way.

Freed from BN Institution

I've tried two of the three.

Eau Duelle is an earthy take on a vanilla based scent, really nice soft vanilla scent.

Grand Soir is an ambery vanilla base scent, not sweet by any means.

While I like both scents, I don't wear either enough to justify a bottle.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I’ve tried the Benjoin again today.

It really is a monster of a scent. It dries down better than it opens and from a distance smells wonderful. Up close (in my case) it feels like too much, especially the level of sweetness.

Grand Soir on the other hand definitely is less sweet.

I own Eau Duelle EDP & Grand Soir, I haven't tried Benjoin Boheme. I'm happy to have both in my perfume wardrobe.

To me, Eau Duelle is a green incense vanilla with a bit of spice. I find the incense in this scent has a green quality to it, it's not dry, just like green wood is different to dry wood & it smells great in all weathers & seasons.

I get several hours of lavender in Grand Soir which probably cuts the sweetness of the amber accord, benzoin & vanilla in it. Not many people mention the lavender in Grand Soir but it's the combination of the lavender note mixed with the other notes in Grand Soir that makes it interesting to me. I mainly wear it in the cooler months as lavender notes amplify on my skin more in cold weather. It smells a bit heavy & cloying in hot weather.

Thanks for your thoughts, CuddleCat. It's interesting to get a ladies perspective on this. I also hadn't thought about lavender as a note in Grand Soir. Now that you mentioned it I have been picking it up quite a lot and I do see what you mean by the note 'cutting through' the (limited) sweetness in this scent. It's similar to how the lavender and bergamot in Musc Ravageur cut through the amber accord and give it that odd smell that people always talk about.

I have to say I am still quite happy with my Grand Soir. I wore it back to back several times when I first got it - that doesn't happen very often.

I tried all three and preferred Bohea Boheme by Mona di Orio until I realized I misunderstood your post and have not ever tried Diptyque Benjoin Boheme. Grand Soir and Eau Duelle are so different from each other its hard to compare them. I like the Amber in Grand Soir but also really like the tea note in Eau Duelle. But MdO Bohea Boheme has the best tea note of all and of these three I like it best - a happy accident and unfortunately its the wrong "Boheme" - but worth a try!
    Top Bottles: • costa azzurra acqua • black leather j-scent • unum Io non ho mani • terre d'hermes parfum • andree putman l'original • tonic blanc • xerjoff nio • no.9 bukhoor elixir • kosmala no. 4 apres l'amour • 19-69 capri • mandarino di amalfi acqua

Rum, I agree that Grand Soir isn't that sweet, I have several perfumes that are much sweeter in my perfume wardrobe. Glad to hear that you can detect the lavender in Grand Soir now.

I'm wearing Eau Duelle EDP & it's smelling very dry on me today. I've just realised that my green incense vanilla comment above was more for how a new bottle of the EDT smells, I owned a bottle of the EDT first, my current bottle is the EDP version. I have noticed that both versions get dryer as the juice matures & I remember thinking that the EDT sample, I first tested was different & smoother than my new bottle when I received it. I remember that I had to wait on new stock when ordering that bottle. The main reason, I went for the EDP this time was that the fresh EDT smelt rough around the edges for that first year of ownership. Although, I miss the elemi note that I got in the EDT, I don't detect it in the EDP.