Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
  1. #1
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Hello everybody,
    This is my first post and i want to ask about this bottle of Kouros Fraicheur I bought. Is this a Gem? Batch code is on the bottle and the box.
    The smell is strange, beautifull Kouros of course, but no the pineaplle opening I have read in other threads.
    ¿Does Anybody knows what do I have here?:

    01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    279,770

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Hello everybody,
    This is my first post and i want to ask about this bottle of Kouros Fraicheur I bought. Is this a Gem?
    IMO it is. Congrats to you and welcome to Basenotes! Lucky to have a bottle of this also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Thank you very much, hednic!
    The smell is amazing: the classic Kouros 2urinal" aura, etc. But i feel it more dry than the classic. Am I Right?

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    279,770

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Thank you very much, hednic!
    The smell is amazing: the classic Kouros 2urinal" aura, etc. But i feel it more dry than the classic. Am I Right?
    A bit drier, I would agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,094
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    This one, along with most Kouros flankers, is often considered a unicorn due to collector's interest and it's discontinuation. I have a sample I have yet to try, but as with most "unicorns", new people will buy it at whatever absurb price it fetches then later do a "Manchurian Candidate" type of brainwashing on themselves to convince themselves of greatness to justify the purchase price, since a lot of longtime vintage forum fixtures who owned it when new give rose-tinted glasses opinions on it and the new folks want to earn their respect.

    With that having been said, there are a lot of genuinely great scents which get sadly killed off and this may be one of them. If you go hunting for "gems" your collection will be littered with overpriced discontinued scents everyone else told you were masterpieces etc, so I would rather just look at most scents like these as having a strong impact on a small number of people who still continue to hunt remaining stock, with most true "gems" being the stuff we most often don't get to hear about, even in niche forums like this one.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

  6. #6
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Hello Zealot,
    Im sure that happens a lot. Not in this case.
    I bought it for 20 dollars and is the only vintage I have.
    The others gems I have are classics, new ones, etc, brand new, not so new, etc. Anyhow: a variated small collection.
    Best wishes,
    B

  7. #7
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,231

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    That's my preferred version of Kouros. Nice pick up!

  8. #8
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Land of the Chypre
    Posts
    12,571

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    This one is widely known and respected as the best Kouros flanker there is.

    I was fortunate to grab a mini of it. It was great while it lasted! Count yourself lucky. For 20 bucks that is one heck of a deal you got there.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

  9. #9
    Dependent Monsieur Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Congratulations on that bottle. It is a fantastic perfume and you bought it very cheap.
    Enjoy it.

  10. #10
    Dependent allkindsofwatches1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Hello everybody,
    This is my first post and i want to ask about this bottle of Kouros Fraicheur I bought. Is this a Gem? Batch code is on the bottle and the box.
    The smell is strange, beautifull Kouros of course, but no the pineaplle opening I have read in other threads.
    ¿Does Anybody knows what do I have here?:

    01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg
    Ummm....looks like you bought....KOUROS FRAICHEUR

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    That's my preferred version of Kouros. Nice pick up!
    Thank you!

  12. #12
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Congratulations on that bottle. It is a fantastic perfume and you bought it very cheap.
    Enjoy it.
    Thanks!!!

  13. #13
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Congratulations on that bottle. It is a fantastic perfume and you bought it very cheap.
    Enjoy it.
    Thanks! I cant believe it when i saw the prices on ebay...sure im going to wear it. Best wishes!!!

  14. #14
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    [QUOTE=Gail Elliott;4619052][QUOTE=BruceB;4618764]Hello everybody,

    ¿Does Anybody knows what do I have here?:

    I know what we have here. Another 'new' member whose come to find the value of something and nothing more. We see guys like you here nearly every week.
    I've lost count of the number of people on here who are never seen again.
    Time will tell.

  15. #15
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Ummm....looks like you bought....KOUROS FRAICHEUR

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thank you!!!

  16. #16
    Dependent allkindsofwatches1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Thank you!!!
    All jokes aside...I wore it all weekend and really enjoyed it. I actually like it better than the original Kouros.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  17. #17

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    I think it's great. Not sure what typical prices look like these days, but regardless, if you got it for $20, that's fan-freaking-tastic.

    I do agree that it contains a lot of core Kouros DNA. I get a noticeable pineapple note, but it's very much embedded in the Kouros feel and doesn't feel so much like a literal piece of pineapple, more of a light tropical seasoning. Overall, it subtly amps up the soapiness and tones down the animalics and honey, and adds a bit of fruit to the original.

    I also think it's the best Kouros flanker, though I wouldn't place it above the original. Close, but not quite.

    ~~

    Quote Originally Posted by Gail Elliott View Post
    Do you have to keep using the word 'Unicorns' all the time? You're starting to sound as if you invented the word. Seriously, you say the same thing in nearly every thread. Also, I'm getting sick and tired of you wading into these threads spouting your thoughts as though it's gospel. You seem hellbent on telling people how they should be spending their money.

    We get it. You're a vintage expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail Elliott View Post
    I know what we have here. Another 'new' member whose come to find the value of something and nothing more.

    We see guys like you here nearly every week. I've lost count of the number of people on here who are never seen again after two or three posts.

    Do your own research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail Elliott View Post
    Yes, we know you have a bottle of everything. You're constantly reminding the entire forum of that.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  18. #18
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,094
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gail Elliott View Post
    Do you have to keep using the word 'Unicorns' all the time? You're starting to sound as if you invented the word. Seriously, you say the same thing in nearly every thread. Also, I'm getting sick and tired of you wading into these threads spouting your thoughts as though it's gospel. You seem hellbent on telling people how they should be spending their money.

    We get it. You're a vintage expert.
    Excuse me but if you don't like what I have to say, all you have to do is place me on your block/ignore list. I'm entitled to give my opinion whenever and wherever I want on these boards so long as I follow code of conduct.

    The kind of personal criticism you are giving me however, is against said code of conduct and if you continue to pick a fight with me, I'll make sure the mods know it. I DO NOT TOLERATE DRAMA.

    You've attacked several posters in this thread besides myself so I'll be reporting you for trolling regardless.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

  19. #19
    RCavs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Salvador, Bahia
    Posts
    2,407

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by livejazz View Post
    i think it's great. Not sure what typical prices look like these days, but regardless, if you got it for $20, that's fan-freaking-tastic.

    I do agree that it contains a lot of core kouros dna. I get a noticeable pineapple note, but it's very much embedded in the kouros feel and doesn't feel so much like a literal piece of pineapple, more of a light tropical seasoning. Overall, it subtly amps up the soapiness and tones down the animalics and honey, and adds a bit of fruit to the original.

    I also think it's the best kouros flanker, though i wouldn't place it above the original. Close, but not quite.

    ~~


    LOL!!!

  20. #20
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,094
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Hello Zealot,
    Im sure that happens a lot. Not in this case.
    I bought it for 20 dollars and is the only vintage I have.
    The others gems I have are classics, new ones, etc, brand new, not so new, etc. Anyhow: a variated small collection.
    Best wishes,
    B
    Whoops! I was dealing with a troll in the thread and forgot to reply! It's good to know you walk your own path! Even if you had paid good money for it, all that matters is you didn't get it to impress anyone, which is why I commented as I did. Everything discontinued with a bit of aftermarket value is a "gem" on Basenotes as if not being made anymore is a requirement for greatness, and people make "look what I have" threads all the time haha.

    There's a similar bias in the niche circles where price/volume of production/batch number equals pedigree, so I always try to push people towards "how does the -smell- make you feel?" type of approach. Cheap/expensive/old/new/rare/common might be characteristics to consider for collectors who don't wear their perfume, but the real "gems" are the ones that bring you joy when you wear them!

    I've heard great things about Kouros Fraicheur and got my sample from a friend so I'll be giving that a shot soon. Also ignore the people who tell you to do your own research and not to ask us for help or our opinion. You seem new which is why I spent the time writing. We're here to share and enjoy! Welcome to Basenotes!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    24,372
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    This one, along with most Kouros flankers, is often considered a unicorn due to collector's interest and it's discontinuation. I have a sample I have yet to try, but as with most "unicorns", new people will buy it at whatever absurb price it fetches then later do a "Manchurian Candidate" type of brainwashing on themselves to convince themselves of greatness to justify the purchase price, since a lot of longtime vintage forum fixtures who owned it when new give rose-tinted glasses opinions on it and the new folks want to earn their respect.

    With that having been said, there are a lot of genuinely great scents which get sadly killed off and this may be one of them. If you go hunting for "gems" your collection will be littered with overpriced discontinued scents everyone else told you were masterpieces etc, so I would rather just look at most scents like these as having a strong impact on a small number of people who still continue to hunt remaining stock, with most true "gems" being the stuff we most often don't get to hear about, even in niche forums like this one.
    Tokyo by Kenzo = Red's gem! Have I brainwashed you? Probably not.

    I could never convince anybody it was worthy, except one guy who smelled my collection and picked that one to adopt as his own.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: TH Bold by Tommy Hilfiger

  22. #22
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,094
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Tokyo by Kenzo = Red's gem! Have I brainwashed you? Probably not.

    I could never convince anybody it was worthy, except one guy who smelled my collection and picked that one to adopt as his own.
    I only say that because we tend to create an echo chamber that new folks get blasted with when they join. My "UlTiMaTe MaStErPiEcE0rz" disappointments in vintage, niche, and luxury lines have been numerous, so I'm a skeptic at best about forum hype these days. Folks can get mad at me for winging the word "unicorn" all they want, I'm just trying to keep folks from making costly mistakes!

    As for my "gems", some cost $20 and some cost $200, some are discontinued and some not. The only scents I singularly stand behind getting people to try at present are Diptyque Oud Palao (2015 $175) and Samba for Men by The Perfumer's Workshop (1990 $20) because the former is basically Balenciaga Pour Homme (1990) with more rose, and the latter so ridiculously recreates the smell of 80's White Rain shampoo it's impossible not to smile. I don't even champion my Avons anymore tbh.

    Also Kouros Fraicheur might be such a gem to some people, because not having smelled it, the general consensus of it being a sharper and lighter Kouros does sound like something that would really hit the spot, and why it's not still made in our current era of freshie madness is beyond me. Seems like a good time to actually have something like Kouros Fraicheur in stores again since eveyeone loves "Eau" this and "Cologne" that.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

  23. #23
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,231

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    It’s not really that much like Kouros, in my experience.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Also Kouros Fraicheur might be such a gem to some people, because not having smelled it, the general consensus of it being a sharper and lighter Kouros does sound like something that would really hit the spot, and why it's not still made in our current era of freshie madness is beyond me. Seems like a good time to actually have something like Kouros Fraicheur in stores again since eveyeone loves "Eau" this and "Cologne" that.
    It's moderately fresher than the original Kouros, but it's still so far from current interpretations of those terms that it would be a tough sell as a "freshie". I do think it's more approachable than the original Kouros to the uninitiated, but I think Kouros is mostly selling to the initiated at this point anyway, and most of those folks are probably inclined to go with the big guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I don't even champion my Avons anymore tbh.
    I think you should still champion your Avons.

    Who doesn't want a good-natured vintage hug of a fragrance in a bottle shaped like a hammer?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  25. #25
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,094
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

    I think you should still champion your Avons.

    Who doesn't want a good-natured vintage hug of a fragrance in a bottle shaped like a hammer?
    People who aren't good-natured or into kitschy atmosphere like Bennigan's or Red Robin Burgers
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

  26. #26
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Whoops! I was dealing with a troll in the thread and forgot to reply! It's good to know you walk your own path! Even if you had paid good money for it, all that matters is you didn't get it to impress anyone, which is why I commented as I did. Everything discontinued with a bit of aftermarket value is a "gem" on Basenotes as if not being made anymore is a requirement for greatness, and people make "look what I have" threads all the time haha.

    There's a similar bias in the niche circles where price/volume of production/batch number equals pedigree, so I always try to push people towards "how does the -smell- make you feel?" type of approach. Cheap/expensive/old/new/rare/common might be characteristics to consider for collectors who don't wear their perfume, but the real "gems" are the ones that bring you joy when you wear them!

    I've heard great things about Kouros Fraicheur and got my sample from a friend so I'll be giving that a shot soon. Also ignore the people who tell you to do your own research and not to ask us for help or our opinion. You seem new which is why I spent the time writing. We're here to share and enjoy! Welcome to Basenotes!
    Thank you for your welcome!
    I prefer the classic Kouros!!! This one is ok but I feel it a less fruiter than the ONE.
    And I wear all my fragances!!!!
    I enjoy them!
    Thanks again!

  27. #27
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    It’s not really that much like Kouros, in my experience.
    100 % agree with you. Only after a few hours starts to look like.

  28. #28
    Super Member BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I only say that because we tend to create an echo chamber that new folks get blasted with when they join. My "UlTiMaTe MaStErPiEcE0rz" disappointments in vintage, niche, and luxury lines have been numerous, so I'm a skeptic at best about forum hype these days. Folks can get mad at me for winging the word "unicorn" all they want, I'm just trying to keep folks from making costly mistakes!

    As for my "gems", some cost $20 and some cost $200, some are discontinued and some not. The only scents I singularly stand behind getting people to try at present are Diptyque Oud Palao (2015 $175) and Samba for Men by The Perfumer's Workshop (1990 $20) because the former is basically Balenciaga Pour Homme (1990) with more rose, and the latter so ridiculously recreates the smell of 80's White Rain shampoo it's impossible not to smile. I don't even champion my Avons anymore tbh.

    Also Kouros Fraicheur might be such a gem to some people, because not having smelled it, the general consensus of it being a sharper and lighter Kouros does sound like something that would really hit the spot, and why it's not still made in our current era of freshie madness is beyond me. Seems like a good time to actually have something like Kouros Fraicheur in stores again since eveyeone loves "Eau" this and "Cologne" that.
    With a lot of respect: Kouros (even "freshier" versions of it) are not for everyone.

  29. #29
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    6,094
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Kouros Fraicheur: What did i buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    With a lot of respect: Kouros (even "freshier" versions of it) are not for everyone.
    That's probably for the best. I can't imagine it clouding up subway trains the way Sauvage does or Acqua di Giò Pour Homme used to before that. What a divine stink it would be though! <3
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

  30. #30
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Land of the Chypre
    Posts
    12,571

    Exclamation Moderator Message

    Just a reminder that the forum boards are NOT here for the purpose of discussing mod decisions, whether a troll has rightly been banned or not. The mod team are aware of certain individuals circumstances more than other members would know and each case is dealt with on an individual basis. If further info is required, mods have in the past reached out to members and will continue to do so in the future.

    Should individual members have any concerns, they are encouraged to contact a mod directly or all mods by reporting any post (or PM). This keeps the conversation private. Thanks.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000