Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34
Just Starting Out Sponsor
  1. #1

    Default Chanel Collection for Men

    I have been into the fragrance game hard now for about two years. I’m not going to lie, this is an expensive hobby. I’m not sure what it is that keeps me intrigued about trying and sampling new fragrances. But out of all the different houses I have tried, there is only one house that stands out to me and I have made it my mission to collect them. The CHANEL house, to me, is one of the most classy houses that has put out legends and some of the best smells out there. The reason I am posting this is because I have actually found some Chanel bottles for very cheap... and I mean very cheap. I purchased two bottles of cologne from a guy on EBay who was selling both for $18 and one of them was a 2011 3.4oz bottle of Platinum Egoiste. I thought to myself that it was way to good to be true but when I received it in the mail it erased all doubt. P.E is my favorite that I own and the smell itself is excellent and long lasting. I have also got a bottle of Chanel Allure Homme for $27 which looks like it might be vintage but I cannot find any info on its batch code. It’s a 3 digit batch code of “ZI1”.

    I work in a office so all my bottles fit perfect with my environment except my vintage sample of Antaeus! Ha.. what would be some other Chanel’s you would recommend and why? I would love to hear other opinions on this house. I will post a picture of my collection.

    Thanks4CF7092E-AC16-41EA-AC75-91916B19CF28.jpg

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    282,853

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    what would be some other Chanel’s you would recommend and why?
    Sycomore, and Edition Blanche. Just smell great. Try them if you have a chance and judge for yourself.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sycomore, and Edition Blanche. Just smell great. Try them if you have a chance and judge for yourself.
    I have heard great things about Sycomore!

  4. #4
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    +1 Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP great stuff.

    Pour Monsieur EDT/EDP both worth looking into for a classy fragrance!

    Modern Antaeus is also worth a try it’s more office friendly one spray, or feel it out it’s toned down a bit!

    Egoiste is another favorite of mine and wouldn’t be without it versatile and very classy!

    With a lot of these vintage is better but current ones still smell good. Congrats on actually getting non counterfeited Chanel for cheap, I always buy retail and inspect the package in depth or just order direct from Chanel.com.

    You could also venture into the Exclusifs De Chanel collection I haven’t yet but read nothing but good things about them! Also if you haven’t already try the Guerlain house my second favorite next to Chanel, Guerlain delivers on quality and smells of quality and class.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

  5. #5

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    +1 Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP great stuff.

    Pour Monsieur EDT/EDP both worth looking into for a classy fragrance!

    Modern Antaeus is also worth a try it’s more office friendly one spray, or feel it out it’s toned down a bit!

    Egoiste is another favorite of mine and wouldn’t be without it versatile and very classy!

    With a lot of these vintage is better but current ones still smell good. Congrats on actually getting non counterfeited Chanel for cheap, I always buy retail and inspect the package in depth or just order direct from Chanel.com.

    You could also venture into the Exclusifs De Chanel collection I haven’t yet but read nothing but good things about them! Also if you haven’t already try the Guerlain house my second favorite next to Chanel, Guerlain delivers on quality and smells of quality and class.
    Thanks for your time and response. But I completely agree that Vintages are the way to go if you don’t get duped on eBay. I have read about Pour Monsieur, mostly good things, but also heard it can leans towards an old man smell. But I could careless what others think as I am already married and she ain’t going nowhere!

  6. #6
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,340

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Like as others have stated vintages would be a good direction to pursue. Stuff like Egoiste, Antaeus, and Pour Monsieur are all worth pursuing. You could start a thread in the Fragrance Wanted forum to request these bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  7. #7
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    +1 for Edition Blanche

  8. #8

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Newer Antaeus for sure would be a good addition - fresher and less animalic than your vintage version. (Both have their own charm)
    Egoiste and Pour Monsieur EDT are excellent quality with a slight classic edge.
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP is also a wonderful alternative to the EDT with an oriental spicy quality due to the vanilla and nutmeg.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Definitely Edition Blanche. Perfect for Spring/Summer and even Fall.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    929

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Nice collection! Good recommendations in here. Make sure to sample at your local mall or wherever you can.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    BOY


    very underrated imo

  12. #12

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Like as others have stated vintages would be a good direction to pursue. Stuff like Egoiste, Antaeus, and Pour Monsieur are all worth pursuing. You could start a thread in the Fragrance Wanted forum to request these bottles.
    I have a sample of Egoiste but almost certain it is the current version. I love the smell and depth but longevity keeps me from pulling the trigger. I will watch out for the older bottles. Thanks,

  13. #13

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Newer Antaeus for sure would be a good addition - fresher and less animalic than your vintage version. (Both have their own charm)
    Egoiste and Pour Monsieur EDT are excellent quality with a slight classic edge.
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP is also a wonderful alternative to the EDT with an oriental spicy quality due to the vanilla and nutmeg.
    Thanks for the info. My vintage sample of Antaeus does have the richness and depth but is wild. Egoiste and Pour Monsieur will be my next two.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Nice collection! Good recommendations in here. Make sure to sample at your local mall or wherever you can.
    Thanks. it feels like each bottle of Chanel I have has a story behind it. That's why P.E has a special place in my heart!

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Dependent Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,404

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    You could also venture into the Exclusifs de Chanel collection. I haven’t yet but read nothing but good things about them!
    I like the Chanel men's line more than Les Exclusifs.

    Original poster - I was also reluctant to wear vintage Antaeus to the office for a long time, but when I finally did it was great.

  17. #17
    Dependent Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,404

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    BOY


    very underrated imo
    I agree with this, for something from the exclusive line.

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    42,209

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    +1 for Egoiste.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  19. #19
    Super Member LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Norton, Ohio
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I've been digging Chanel Bleu (Parfum.) Woody (sandalwood) and a richer aromatics. Wife loves this one too.
    +1 for Bleu Parfum. It's fantastic!

    Adamn2020, as for the Allure Homme which you said you got it for only $27, I doubt its authenticity especially for a vintage as they go for much MUCH higher price, unless the seller didn't know what he had. Also, I checked the "batch code ZI1" you mentioned and it says "Error: specified code is not supported, or is not correct." Either you got a fake, or authentic but just not the original (vintage). Be glad you only paid $27, otherwise it would have been a much bigger loss.

  20. #20
    Dependent Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,404

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    +1 for Bleu Parfum. It's fantastic!

    Adamn2020, as for the Allure Homme which you said you got it for only $27, I doubt its authenticity especially for a vintage as they go for much MUCH higher price, unless the seller didn't know what he had. Also, I checked the "batch code ZI1" you mentioned and it says "Error: specified code is not supported, or is not correct." Either you got a fake, or authentic but just not the original (vintage). Be glad you only paid $27, otherwise it would have been a much bigger loss.
    There are fakes to be had, but there are also a lot of underpriced (priced-to-move) bottles, especially for people who follow new listings.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Chanel Pour Monsieur Eau de Parfum

    I wouldn't bother with Edition Blanche unless you road test it properly, it's not the same as other Chanel's and you will soon find out if you like to smell like a pudding or not. That's coming from someone who likes the Allure Homme line.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    1CEE1F54-8684-4B8A-885E-247AA4379455.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    +1 for Bleu Parfum. It's fantastic!

    Adamn2020, as for the Allure Homme which you said you got it for only $27, I doubt its authenticity especially for a vintage as they go for much MUCH higher price, unless the seller didn't know what he had. Also, I checked the "batch code ZI1" you mentioned and it says "Error: specified code is not supported, or is not correct." Either you got a fake, or authentic but just not the original (vintage). Be glad you only paid $27, otherwise it would have been a much bigger loss.
    Here is a picture of the batch code.. If people are etching in batch codes to make a fake then this fake is not all that bad.. the smell is rich and deep like most Chanel’s.. the person who sold it on eBay sold mostly antique furniture and household items from estate sales. She prlly didn’t know what she had.. so I took care of it lol

  23. #23

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Eau de Parfum

    I wouldn't bother with Edition Blanche unless you road test it properly, it's not the same as other Chanel's and you will soon find out if you like to smell like a pudding or not. That's coming from someone who likes the Allure Homme line.
    How is the Longevity with Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP?

  24. #24
    Basenotes Plus

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    24,397
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    1CEE1F54-8684-4B8A-885E-247AA4379455.jpg

    Here is a picture of the batch code.. If people are etching in batch codes to make a fake then this fake is not all that bad.. the smell is rich and deep like most Chanel’s.. the person who sold it on eBay sold mostly antique furniture and household items from estate sales. She prlly didn’t know what she had.. so I took care of it lol
    I have an old, store-bought Allure Homme with a 3-character code, but not etched. Early Chanel codes were much less consistent and the online checkers usually don't handle them. Looks good to me.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

  25. #25
    Super Member LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Norton, Ohio
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    1CEE1F54-8684-4B8A-885E-247AA4379455.jpg

    Here is a picture of the batch code.. If people are etching in batch codes to make a fake then this fake is not all that bad.. the smell is rich and deep like most Chanel’s.. the person who sold it on eBay sold mostly antique furniture and household items from estate sales. She prlly didn’t know what she had.. so I took care of it lol
    Love that last sentence, "She prlly didn’t know what she had.. so I took care of it lol"
    Lol

  26. #26
    Newbie
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14,454

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Nice little collection you got going but you’re in for a real ride. There’s still Antaeus, Chanel Pour Monsieur, the Exclusif line and all the better stuff marketed to the women. Don’t get me started on ‘vintage’. IMO you can’t possibly pick a better house to kickstart a collection.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

  27. #27

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Nice little collection you got going but you’re in for a real ride. There’s still Antaeus, Chanel Pour Monsieur, the Exclusif line and all the better stuff marketed to the women. Don’t get me started on ‘vintage’. IMO you can’t possibly pick a better house to kickstart a collection.


    I completely agree.. I have been eyeing those that you mentioned.. but searching and discovering a Vintage Chanel is part of the reason I love collecting them.. I will update post once I get a new one!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    How is the Longevity with Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP?
    Pretty good, the problem is getting hold of it now, mostly you can only find the EDT.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men

    Well I listened and pulled the trigger on EGOISTE. I got a 3.4oz for $50 and I’m not going to lie, I was a bit skeptical. It only had one picture to view on eBay, so I sent the seller a message asking if there was a 4 digit batch code on the back. She said she didn’t see one but claimed it was authentic. So I went with my gut and got it anyway. Sure enough it had one, she may of had trouble seeing it. It is “5001” and from what I can tell may be vintage? Can someone confirm this? I also have a 2ML sample from a newer bottle that I can compare them with. 7387FEAE-A4D3-4A80-860A-EB92467E0697.jpg

  30. #30

    Default Re: Chanel Collection for Men





Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th October 2018, 03:49 AM
  2. Chanel create ‘Shave in Style’ collection for Bleu de Chanel
    By Basenotes Robot in forum Article Comments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st February 2016, 12:57 AM
  3. Dior Collection Privee and Chanel Les Exclusif
    By Klaaon in forum Hong Kong
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th January 2014, 01:06 PM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2nd December 2012, 01:22 PM
  5. New Chanel Rue Cambon collection scent...
    By Magnifiscent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22nd February 2006, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000