Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Vintage Coty Perfumes, Reconsidered

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post

L'Origan and L'Heure Bleue is probably more removed from each other compared to the former two pairing, with L'Heure Bleue taking the almond-y heliotrope-tonka-orange blossom core of L'Origan and rendering it more polished with the addition of signature Guerlinade. But in this case, I much prefer the seemingly more crude L'Origan, with its heavy dose of spicy clove (probably the Diathine base?) providing a more vivid contrast to the more delicate herbal sweetness of violet (a base of ionone if I remember correctly) and the creamy, enveloping almond-y heliotrope-tonka-orange blossom heart.
    I received a L'Origan EdT today, probably 50s era, and the spices are very prominent; almost like clove oil but with nutmeg softening. Beautiful interplay between the two and the spice note lasts all the way through. Orange blossom is very dim, but the floral violet/heliotrope and tonka are even softer than in the parfum. My little parfum version has a very definite peach/orange blossom opening on a bed of spice, then turning to almond powder. In love with this scent; one of the greats, even if not as thrilling and evocative as L'HB. Wish I had the budget of some on this board to sample all the vintage Cotys.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    L'Origan has gone viral!
    Alright f*ck it.

I just blind bought some vintage L'Origan parfum. Couronne de Violette's description made my mouth water.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Alright f*ck it.

I just blind bought some vintage L'Origan parfum. Couronne de Violette's description made my mouth water.
    Resistance is futile, sir. Can't wait to hear what you think of the parfum when you get it.

Here's a quirky, surrealist L'Origan ad from 1940 with a large femme fatale taking aim. The L'Origan ad taglines were usually "The Golden" or. "For Your Golden Moments."

283AD7B0-F6BF-4D7E-9199-DFB1EE121E41.jpeg
    Currently wearing: Bandit by Robert Piguet

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Resistance is futile, sir. Can't wait to hear what you think of the parfum when you get it.

Here's a quirky, surrealist L'Origan ad from 1940 with a large femme fatale taking aim. The L'Origan ad taglines were usually "The Golden" or. "For Your Golden Moments."

283AD7B0-F6BF-4D7E-9199-DFB1EE121E41.jpeg
    Haha, I love that. The man *has* to walk through the L'Origan door to get the girl. That's me! I'm the guy!! lol
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Alright f*ck it.

Freed from BN Institution

Alright f*ck it.

Enablement is contagious.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

My L'Origan Parfum arrived safely (thank you for not coming Hurricane Dorian!). I will wear it soon and post my thoughts.

Mine looks just like the one grayspoole posted above, on the right, in this pic.. Grayspoole, what circa year is this one, do you think?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

My L'Origan Parfum arrived safely (thank you for not coming Hurricane Dorian!). I will wear it soon and post my thoughts.

Mine looks just like the one grayspoole posted above, on the right, in this pic.. Grayspoole, what circa year is this one, do you think?
    I don’t know this with certainty, just from gazing at vintage ads, but I think these bottles date from the 1960’s-70’s. The bottles with the gold embossed labels (like the one on the left) are older. I look forward to hearing what you think.

I agree with these notes on L'Origan edt. I get clove and it's not as involved as L'Heure Bleue, but I imagine most L'Heure Bleue fans, such as myself, would like it. It is so agreeable.

Someone in the reviews mentioned civet, and that would help explain why I like it so much. This edt mini is an inexpensive way to try some nice, animalic (and powdery) vintage.
    Although the comparison with LHB is seemingly inevitable, the more I wear these perfumes, the more different they seem. Of course, any comparisons will vary depending on which versions/formulations you are testing. My LHB extract from 1960-67 has an almost shocking amount of civet, which is completely absent in the pâtisserie of my newer, circa 2000 LHB.

I’m completely captivated by the dry down of L’Origan. Without the heavier vanillin of the Guerlain, the Coty perfume weaves a more subtle, complex spell of nitromusks, lingering floral notes, and civet. The notes seem to flicker in and out of my perception. I believe Coty did not appreciate the Guerlain vanillin. I wonder if Coty’s use of natural tinctures, as reported by Coifan and others, along with more typical, heavier perfume ingredients, provides this rich but transparent quality to the composition.

Basenotes Plus

I like Guerlain vanilla. Chanel used a variation on it for the original Pour Monsieur Concentree. I've stocked up on that and Habit Rouge, and I have a smattering of other Guerlains to sample when the mood strikes. I'm a fan, but I don't miss the vanilla when it's not there, in this case, at least.
    Oh, believe me, I also like the use of vanillin in classic Guerlains—a beautiful, essential component in Shalimar, LHB, Vol de Nuit. I am just speculating on why/how L’Origan and LHB feel like they have such different textures and degrees of transparency on the skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I don’t know this with certainty, just from gazing at vintage ads, but I think these bottles date from the 1960’s-70’s. The bottles with the gold embossed labels (like the one on the left) are older. I look forward to hearing what you think.
    I wore it to bed a couple days ago. Too quick to post a full review but I immediately recognized the L'Heure Bleue connection (I have owned vintage LhB in the EdC and PdT formulations). But...I do know this - in the morning I couldn't smell the Coty at all. Whereas, when I have worn LHB to bed...I can clearly smell it on me in the morning. So perhaps I'm experiencing the same 'transparency' as others in this thread, when it comes to L'Origan versus it's peers.

-- Eckhart Tolle